Stereo, Mono .reverse !.

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
whitenoise
England

Re: Stereo, Mono ....reverse !.

Post by whitenoise » 07 Feb 2016 22:12

I initially suspected that maybe it could have been something more scandalous ....not using the original master but cutting one up from some other source after realising no one could remember where the master was lol.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 08 Feb 2016 14:42

DualSpinsMyVinyl wrote:As others have said, it is used to swap left for right for those that are sticklers for proper orchestra placement where you can tell of the violins are on the right or left etc. Going back many years ago (this one will date me) when early stereo radio first came into being, one channel was broadcast on AM and the other was broad cast on FM. My parents bought a radio in the late 1950's early 60's that used both AM and FM to do stereo and there was not a standard as to which channel left or right was broadcast on. So there was a reverse switch to change left for right to make the orchestra sound correct. This phase in stereo radio was short lived probably because FM was slow to catch on in the early years especially where we lived, so we never had a radio station that was using this feature. The salesman saw my folks coming. There are few receivers out there that will do this any more. Ours is long gone. Not many remember that one.
My parents had a Clairtone with that feature. Occasionally, CBC Toronto would run something on both AM and FM, for the stereo, but not often.

Cheers,
Alec

whitenoise
England

Post by whitenoise » 08 Feb 2016 18:20

That's brilliant. It would have been really good if they had given instructions as the "Hi Fi News test record" does. "You should now hear my voice in the left hand speaker" etc.

Rich.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 10 Feb 2016 17:35

Hi Alec,

A bit of red and white nail polish applied right below the audio output jacks will also fix the issue, unless of coarse it is correct on CDs in which case the switch would be very useful.

Phil
Alec124c41 wrote:I had a DVD player that had the left and right audio channels reversed, when run through the TV to my stereo. That switch would have fixed that.

Cheers,
Alec

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 12 Feb 2016 21:58

I just swapped the RCA plugs, and left it. :)
Coffee Phil wrote:Hi Alec,

A bit of red and white nail polish applied right below the audio output jacks will also fix the issue, unless of coarse it is correct on CDs in which case the switch would be very useful.

Phil
Alec124c41 wrote:I had a DVD player that had the left and right audio channels reversed, when run through the TV to my stereo. That switch would have fixed that.

Cheers,
Alec

whitenoise
England

Post by whitenoise » 12 Feb 2016 23:49

......and went to do your nails

Rodmun
Chile

Re: Stereo, Mono .reverse !.

Post by Rodmun » 14 Feb 2020 23:01

Hi, since last year i have a severe right hearing loss, the reverse switch of My class A amo for me now is an invaluable
Control for obvius reasons.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Stereo, Mono .reverse !.

Post by lenjack » 15 Feb 2020 03:15

It was in vogue in the 60s and 70s, when manufacturers were trying to impress customers with how many extra, advanced settings, their amps and receivers, had. I think some might even have added an extra switch, or button for this.