Cerwin Vega speakers

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Adamo0926
United States of America

Cerwin Vega speakers

Post by Adamo0926 » 26 Jan 2020 04:07

So I found a pair of Cerwin Vega D5s in very nice condition selling for 200.00 which is less than half of most of the asking prices I see elsewhere.

I have always been intrigued by Cerwin Vega speakers but have not heard any in quite some time. But about the only thing I ever read about them is that they are loud, rock speakers, etc. I never read much about how they SOUND. I imagine they are a bit more aggressive and "in your face" sounding than most speakers. But then again JBLs are supposed to be known for being very forward sounding as well.

So has anyone owned or currently own a pair of CVs especially the D5 ? If so, what can you tell me about the sound characteristics of the speaker. I already know they are very efficient and forward sounding.

Someone is going to this guys place before me and my gut tells me he will be taking them at that price. However, if he doesn't, it's about a 90 minute drive for me and wondering if it would be worth the drive tomorrow to give these a listen...

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Cerwin Vega speakers

Post by Alec124c41 » 26 Jan 2020 13:32

I have had a couple of pairs of Cerwin Vega speakers pass through my hands. I gave one to my son, the other to my son-in-law.
I thought they sounded pretty good. The circuit breaker protection was a big plus, especially for my son. He forgot about this, and brought them back to me after they stopped working during a loud party. Push the button, and they live. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know about that price. I found mine at yard sales. Both needed new surrounds.

Cheers,
Alec

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 26 Jan 2020 18:27

Alec124c41 wrote:
26 Jan 2020 13:32
I have had a couple of pairs of Cerwin Vega speakers pass through my hands. I gave one to my son, the other to my son-in-law.
I thought they sounded pretty good. The circuit breaker protection was a big plus, especially for my son. He forgot about this, and brought them back to me after they stopped working during a loud party. Push the button, and they live. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know about that price. I found mine at yard sales. Both needed new surrounds.

Cheers,
Alec
Well Alec, it matters not as the guy that went to check them out this morning walked away with them. These were just had the surrounds done and the cabinets looked very nice indeed. I saw a number of D5s on Ebay with asking prices from 340.00 to 600.00.....so I knew they wouldn't last long at that price....and they didn't.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 26 Jan 2020 19:41

As you mentioned, they are LOUD. I remember reviews in the magazines from the 70s or so about how very efficient they were. Only a few watts would suffice.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 27 Jan 2020 01:40

Wow, those prices are crazy :shock: I had a pair of those for years...part of my first system out of college, and living on my own without volume-happy roommates. They served me well for a very long time, with frankly not much use. But I did have to replace the surrounds.

When I decided I wanted an upgrade, I auditioned some B&W bookies, and floor-standing Wharedale Diamonds, but neither of them were good enough to justify the cost over what I was already hearing from the CV-D5s. It was finally a pair of Polk Monitor 10 that ousted the CVs. The bass in the CV was very strong, but could get a little sloppy, and I actually did like the voice coil horn tweeters. Turns out they were missing some mid-range, which I didn't realize until hearing different speakers. So yeah, nice hard bass for rock, and the horns could handle the screaming vocals and guitar solos for rock. But for refined listening, IMO they have a bit of mid-range suck-out.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 28 Jan 2020 00:39

jdjohn wrote:
27 Jan 2020 01:40
Wow, those prices are crazy :shock: I had a pair of those for years...part of my first system out of college, and living on my own without volume-happy roommates. They served me well for a very long time, with frankly not much use. But I did have to replace the surrounds.

When I decided I wanted an upgrade, I auditioned some B&W bookies, and floor-standing Wharedale Diamonds, but neither of them were good enough to justify the cost over what I was already hearing from the CV-D5s. It was finally a pair of Polk Monitor 10 that ousted the CVs. The bass in the CV was very strong, but could get a little sloppy, and I actually did like the voice coil horn tweeters. Turns out they were missing some mid-range, which I didn't realize until hearing different speakers. So yeah, nice hard bass for rock, and the horns could handle the screaming vocals and guitar solos for rock. But for refined listening, IMO they have a bit of mid-range suck-out.
Funny that you mentioned Polk Audio Monitor 10s, because I have had my eye on those as well. I don't think I have ever even demoed any Polk speakers....what can you tell me about the Moniter 10s ?

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 28 Jan 2020 02:12

I have a recent set of CVs. The first set I bought were a pair of dual 8" woofers, which had a nice low frequency tone. The next set that I bought were 12" woofers that also contained a 5" midrange, and a tweeter with a horn face. This set of speakers were much better and more responsive to my music. I also bought a center channel speaker, and last (and perhaps most importantly) I bought a 15" powered sub. The sub made a huge difference and really brought out the bass notes in my music. All of the speakers were CVs.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 28 Jan 2020 04:02

Adamo0926 wrote:
28 Jan 2020 00:39
jdjohn wrote:

Funny that you mentioned Polk Audio Monitor 10s, because I have had my eye on those as well. I don't think I have ever even demoed any Polk speakers....what can you tell me about the Moniter 10s ?
I can tell you a few things about them since I (still) have two pair. The positives first, and then a negative...or thing to check when purchasing.

They are (literally) solid speakers, with cabinets made from 3/4" presswood, plus additional bracing inside...heavy. Sealed cabinets, and the 'seal' is important for proper bass response. Soft-dome Peerless tweeter...very nice dispersion...clear and smooth (w/fuse protection). Two 6.5" mid-woofers, and then a passive radiator for bass. I don't know all the acoustic science around how passive bass radiators work, but these speakers do NOT lack bass. These are effectively 6 ohm speakers, and respond well to high-wattage/current amps.

But...they have a mechanical weakness that should always be checked when purchasing. Polk (admittedly) used inferior glue between the mid-woofer magnets and pole plates, so if handled roughly, the glue can give way, and the magnets can shift. This basically seizes the voice coils, and as a result, the cones as well. To check for this, press gently on the middle of the passive radiator, and then the two mids should pop-out temporarily. You can also press on the mid-woofers themselves (fingertips in star pattern around inner dust cover), and of course they should compress and not be frozen.

Having said that (and if you DIY), the mid drivers can be repaired/replaced if they are seized, and so this can become a negotiating point on price. There is a big Polk support group online, and vis-a-vis, mods and upgrades abound for these vintage beauties. If the mid drivers are fine-and-free, there is a rather easy preventive procedure (involving adhesive), that can be done in order to preserve the mid drivers.

Polk Monitor 10 normally came with speaker stands when purchased new, in order to get the rake angle correct...and it still applies today. IMO, having them up on stands is imperative for getting the best performance. There are enthusiasts who make and sell wooden stands similar to what came stock, but there are also modern stands that work fine. Being able to tilt them backwards makes a big difference IME. Having isolation from the floor made a big difference for me, particularly in tightening-up the bass.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 28 Jan 2020 04:30

jdjohn wrote:
28 Jan 2020 04:02
Adamo0926 wrote:
28 Jan 2020 00:39
jdjohn wrote:

I can tell you a few things about them since I (still) have two pair. The positives first, and then a negative...or thing to check when purchasing.....
Thanks for all that info. I actually have custom made metal stands that are sand filled and also have screws on the bottom back that can be used to set the angle of the stands. The work quite nicely, I even have my stacked original Advents on them right now.

I have read about the Peerless tweeters and as I understand it not all of the M10s have the Peerless tweeters. I think only earlier versions if I am remembering correctly what I read. Do the tweeters look different ? I have seen pictures of different M10s with the grill covers off and the tweeters look different on some.

Also....what is the difference between the Monitor 10s and the Monitor 10Bs ?

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 28 Jan 2020 04:56

Adamo0926 wrote:
28 Jan 2020 04:30
Thanks for all that info. I actually have custom made metal stands that are sand filled and also have screws on the bottom back that can be used to set the angle of the stands. The work quite nicely, I even have my stacked original Advents on them right now.

I have read about the Peerless tweeters and as I understand it not all of the M10s have the Peerless tweeters. I think only earlier versions if I am remembering correctly what I read. Do the tweeters look different ? I have seen pictures of different M10s with the grill covers off and the tweeters look different on some.

Also....what is the difference between the Monitor 10s and the Monitor 10Bs ?
I'm afraid there is no bright line between A and B. I think the tweeter is the biggest difference, between Peerless, SL1000, and SL2000. Your research is correct in that Peerless were in earlier models (in general). But, I haven't read (exhaustively) about differences in sound between the tweeters, so...I wouldn't let that be a hang-up for sonic purposes. If you are purchasing for investment purposes, I would encourage you to do more independent research.