Vintage Receivers

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
mgl99

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by mgl99 » 22 Jan 2020 22:57

Well, I've been trying now for about an hour with no success. First off, the directions sent to me by vinyl master in 2018, are not correct.

I have resized pics as suggested, placed them in a desktop file. The basic problem is that when I type my post:

VM says to click on the Gallery button in right hand corner. (NO such thing) (First off, in the "right hand corner" of what? The post or the page?)

Then to click on Upload Image. (NO such thing).

Sorry guys, those are the facts looking at my screen. I also tried going to the gallery and looking for ANYTHING that said Upload Image. (NO such thing)

Anyway, I have the images (supposedly sized properly) and I am unable to either upload to the Gallery or to my post.

Sorry,

mgl99

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jan 2020 00:01

Ahhh...Sorry, mgl99...Since this website has been upgraded fairly recently with a new layout, I must have sent you some old instructions...

On the top of the main Vinyl Engine page (or any page within VE, for that matter), you'll see this...

"News . Library . Database . Reviews . Tools . Forum . Gallery . FAQ"

Click on Gallery. Go to the particular album of the item you have a photo of...If say, the receiver is a Yamaha, go to the "Y" album and click on it to open that album...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... album/1355

...and then hit the subalbum "Yamaha", for example...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... y/album/91

Sometimes, I'll just go down the page...If I'm uploading, say a picture of a Webcor changer and there is no "Webcor" subalbum, I'll just upload it in the "W" album at the bottom by hitting the "Upload Image" button seen at the bottom of the page here, just above where it says "Return To Gallery"...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... y/album/89

...as not every make and model of equipment has a particular subalbum, but usually the common manufacturers are there...I do try to upload images into the proper albums or subalbums, according to the image description I've given of the pic I want to upload (or brand of equipment, if it is an equipment pic), but you could also post those in the "Miscellaneous" album, if that is too tricky for you or if the said pic/image is something unusual or not vinyl- or equipment-related...

Keep in mind that besides the "Miscellaneous" album in the Gallery, there are also non-equipment albums for the Record Covers and Picture Discs, too...

Anyway, you'll come to a "Upload Images" window...Where you see Images, hit "Browse" and look for the re-sized files/pics on your computer or the folder you saved them in...If you haven't re-sized any of your pics, you might need to re-size them so that they will fit...I use "Paint" on my computer to re-size the images, but there are other ways and websites for this, as well...Sometimes, the image size is too big and won't display on Vinyl Engine properly...Anyway, once you find the image on your computer or wherever that image is stored (i.e. phone, hard drive, flash drive, folder, etc.), hit "Open" in the second window that pops up ("File Upload") and then, hit the "Continue" button in the "Upload Images" window...I will either rename the image in the "Imagename" box that comes up next...I can leave it as is, too...You can also copy and paste that "Imagename" in the "Image Description" box...Either that or add your own caption or description in the "Image Description" box...When you feel everything is all good, hit the "Submit" button, like I did with my new Gakken here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... /31/upload

Your images should appear in the Gallery if they are sized properly...Go into the Gallery again and you can either look for "View Your Images" or "View Recent Images" at the top of the page...Click on the pic in the gallery that you want to add to a post...Then, look for the Image BB Code box under the photo...The code might look something like this...

[image] 48029 [/image]

...but strung together with no spaces...Copy and paste that Image BB Code into any post where you want to show a picture, like my new Gakken portable phonograph here...

...and when you submit that post, the pic or pics should show up with any text you've written...If you are typing your post in the "Quick Reply" window, you may have to hit "Full Editor" to add any smileys :) or change the font color, for instance...

I know this might be a little unwieldy at first, but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier...I had to play around and study the web site again before I figured it all out, but now it's like second nature to me...Please feel free to send me a message, if you still have any trouble with this...Keep in mind that this is one way to do it...

This is also noted on the FAQ page under the Forum section here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/faq.shtml#t16n12272

How do I add a gallery image to a forum post?

(1) Browse to the gallery page that displays the full size image that you want to display in your post

(2) Copy the code in the 'BBCode' box under the image

(3) Paste the code into your post where you want the image to display

note there is no need to add image tags or any other code, just paste the code exactly as shown in the BBCode box

and this, too, for images hosted on other sites...

How do I add an image hosted off site to a forum post?

Paste the web URL of the image you want to display between IMG tags

http://www.somesite.com/image.jpg

note images hosted on external websites may not display if the owner has restricted external linking of images

Hopefully, that will help a bit more, but as I said, feel free to ask us any more questions, should you have any problems...

Study that carefully and keep trying...Trust me, it's much more fun when you get the hang of it...Whatever you do, don't give up! =D>

Remember, we're all here to help, too, should you need it, so please don't hesitate to ask us anything! :)

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 23 Jan 2020 21:00

Okay, here goes again. If I am successful, you should see two pics of my Marantz 2270 and one of the BX5s.

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 23 Jan 2020 21:24

Good looking rig!

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 23 Jan 2020 21:29

Congrats on getting the pictures up, that's a great looking Marantz.

Bill_Ashton

Post by Bill_Ashton » 23 Jan 2020 21:32

"By Jove, the boy's got it!" LOL

Nice looking pieces :wink:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 23 Jan 2020 22:11

Thanks for sharing your Marantz 2270 with us, she's a real beauty! 8)

I love the wooden case too! =D>

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 24 Jan 2020 01:50

Man am I happy that it worked. Thanks to VM who was kind enough to straighten out the fact that I was using outdated instructions. So, I guess I'll be posting more pics if people want to see them. In addition to the 2270 feeding the MA BX5s, I have another setup with a Pioneer SX-3700 driving a pair of B&W DM-602s. I'll try to get some pics up tonight. I appreciate the help and compliments. Thanks.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Jan 2020 03:31

I'm glad I could help, mgl99...The pics are coming through loud and clear...And did I notice an antique radio on one of your shelves? :-k

In any case, your Marantz is a stellar example...I'll bet she sounds awesome, too! =P~

I did have a question for you, though, now that you've got the hang of things a bit...When are we gonna see some more pics???? :mrgreen: =D>

What other goodies do you have stashed away??? :-k

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 24 Jan 2020 12:18

mgl99 wrote:
24 Jan 2020 01:50
Man am I happy that it worked. Thanks to VM who was kind enough to straighten out the fact that I was using outdated instructions. So, I guess I'll be posting more pics if people want to see them. In addition to the 2270 feeding the MA BX5s, I have another setup with a Pioneer SX-3700 driving a pair of B&W DM-602s. I'll try to get some pics up tonight. I appreciate the help and compliments. Thanks.
I’d love to see that SX3700, as that’s what I have.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 24 Jan 2020 13:47

mgl99 wrote:
This forum likes its audio p*rn! :mrgreen: :lol:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 24 Jan 2020 14:54

spensar wrote:
24 Jan 2020 13:47
mgl99 wrote:
This forum likes its audio p*rn! :mrgreen: :lol:
The fans can't get enough of it! 8)

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 24 Jan 2020 19:37

Here are a couple of pics of the Pioneer SX-3700 I'm using for a second set-up.

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 24 Jan 2020 19:46

BTW Ghaasl, I'm a big fan of the MP-110 cartridge. I just sold a Technics SL-1300 TT to a guy that also bought my Pioneer SX-850 receiver. I swapped out cartridges for him to listen to. He decided on the MP-110 that I had on it originally. Awesome cartridge for the money. I also believe that the more you play it the better it sounds. I was just in the progress of breaking in this cartridge/stylus (about 10 hours of play time on it), and it just kept sounding better and better. I ordered a replacement MP-110 immediately (which I have now received).

Also, to VM, yes that's an old radio you see. It is only one of the many that I have in the shop for sale, and of course, many in the house. Everything that I have for sale has already been through a full restoration. If you want to see more of the restored antique radios, you can see them on my facebook page for Lang Clocks & Vintage Electronics.

However, my true personal interest is in restoring and listening to vintage stereo equipment, which is why I will probably spend the rest of my life restoring history; one clock, one radio, and one piece of vintage audio equipment at a time.

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 24 Jan 2020 20:03

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that a friend of mine asked me what was sitting on top of the Monitor Audio BX5 speaker that I posted a pic of. It's a B&W DM-601 bookshelf speaker. I have them hooked up to "Speaker 2" on the Marantz so that I can demonstrate them to listeners. I don't run both pairs of speakers together as there is really no need, and it pushes the amps into the 4ohm impedance area and I don't like to do that. It's not because the amps won't handle it, but because it generates a lot more heat in the amps output transistors.