Tech shop disaster

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Adamo0926
United States of America

Tech shop disaster

Post by Adamo0926 » 01 Dec 2019 19:17

A couple of weeks ago the shop of the tech that I bring all my equipment to and some of my friend's equipment as well, was extensively damaged when a car that was being pursued by police in a high speed chase drove into the front of his shop.

Happened on a Saturday night and he was working in the back of the shop at his bench. Fortunately he escaped with only minor cuts and bruises. But a lot of his shop as been greatly damaged as a result as well as quite a bit of the equipment he had there.

We had several pieces there, my Nakamichi BX-300 cassette deck, a Pioneer Spec 4 amplifier and a top of the line Pioneer reel to reel tape deck.

However when Ken told me about what happened (I emailed him when I had seen that the front of his shop had been boarded up), I told him that equipment is material, and all of the equipment in his shop added together is not worth his physical well being and certainly not his life.

He once told me that he never considered himself as having a job and working because he loves doing what he does so much. He has been doing this for 40 years and is one of the most knowledgeable techs I have ever had the pleasure of talking to. I can only imagine how devastated he is right now.

He said he has been going through the shop and trying to salvage whatever he can. He sent me 19 pictures and a short video of the inside of the shop, and the damage is jaw dropping.

Please join me in keeping Ken in your thoughts and hoping that he can get his business back on it's feet so he can continue doing what he loves doing.

As for the equipment that I have there....that's immaterial, I'm just glad he made it out alive and was not seriously injured.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Tech shop disaster

Post by Tinkaroo » 01 Dec 2019 19:32

I'm glad to hear your friend is OK.

You are right about his safety being more important than some damaged equipment.

Some people have no idea of the potential for damage and loss of life when they get behind the wheel with callous disregard for others.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 01 Dec 2019 19:54

We need more people like that who can do what he does. There are too many phonies out there, who know just enough to cause more harm than good.

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 01 Dec 2019 20:49

Yo Adamo0926:

A shame to hear about your tech, and I am glad he wasn't injured, and that nobody else was killed or injured.

That out of the way, he should check and see if he has an insurance policy that covers property damage or shop liability. Since he is holding other people's equipment, he may be subject to a lawsuit to recover for the equipment that was lost as a result of the accident, and his insurer may be able to pay off his losses and customers' losses. The guy who was being pursued is certainly a target for a lawsuit by your tech and the owners of the equipment. The police agency can also be a target, depending on the location. Most forces have policies concerning high speed pursuit, which may have been violated. Now of course there may be all sorts of problems, but if your tech had equipment on display in his window, chances are that a good deal of damage was done. I can only speak in vague generalities, because l am only licensed in Ohio and New York.

But, having escaped injury or death, we are now at the "what do we do about it?" stage. Your tech should get a copy of the accident report from the police agency. Then he should certainly consult his insurance agent to find out what his insurance covers, and his avenues of recovery. Then maybe he should consult an attorney. Most attorneys will give an initial consultation for free, which might be worthwhile. You can bet the building owner has already consulted his insurance.

I understand that this sounds crass, but it is now necessary to figure out what to do. The point is that there may be things to be done, and empty commiseration does nothing. It is now time for action.

And good luck from the old ambulance-chaser,

Joe Z.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 01 Dec 2019 21:58

Joe....thanks for all that info. I emailed Ken over the weekend just to ask how he is doing, etc. Have not heard back from him yet.

I don't know what the state of my equipment is at the moment. Ken will let me know when he knows I'm sure. I did see the Pioneer Spec 4 on the video laying on top of other stuff and from what I could see it looked none the worse for wear. So I am thinking that might be a piece that survived. My Nakamichi BX-300 was probably in the back of his shop in the work bench area so I think that probably had a good chance of survival as well. The Pioneer reel to reel I have no idea right now.

Something like this could put him out of business. He is 68 years old and it will be quite an effort to get up and running again.....but I have a feeling that he will do whatever he can to get his business back to normal.

As for the guy who was being pursued, I'm guessing you could sue him until the cows come home and get nothing because I'm betting he has nothing other than cash from dealing narcotics or something. You can't get blood from a stone as the saying goes.

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 01 Dec 2019 22:12

Maybe the police that organised this high speed chase and put bystanders in grave danger should at least pay for damages.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 01 Dec 2019 22:33

A really good tech shop, which I surmise this is, would have many thousands invested in test equipment.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 01 Dec 2019 22:45

I recall something similar here in 2004, where a fire burned up one of the local record stores (Broadway Records in Lake Orion) and the stock had to be replenished from scratch after the owner had to move to a new location...20,000 records were lost that day! :(

https://www.theoaklandpress.com/news/na ... 186e7.html

https://lakeorionreview.com/business-ow ... years-ago/

As store owner Richard McGlashen said at the time of the fire-dousing, "Water and records just don't mix too well!"...Still, it took some time, hard work and help from the community, but here's hoping your tech can get back on his feet in the same way, as there are people DEPENDING on his kind of expertise, which is getting rarer by the day...Maybe all the audiophiles and friends/fans of the shop can organize some kind of fundraiser, too, to help with expenses? A thought, in any case...All I know is that we can't keep losing good people like him in the world due to circumstances like this!

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 02 Dec 2019 23:16

Some good news.....heard from Ken today. His bench area in the back was clear of the debris field so all looks good on that front. He is still rebuilding the front of the shop. But he said he could be back on the bench in a week barring any setbacks.

So it looks like his shop is definitely on the road to recovery.

Analogcd

Post by Analogcd » 03 Dec 2019 15:34

I had similar experience decades ago: my bench and shop experienced a severely damaging power surge when drunk driver ran into transformer. It blew out my two surge protection units and every lamp in the office and shop. One of the best gestures customers did was drop by to bring me lunches and help with the basics (replacing lamps, ballasts, taking destroyed gear to dump, etc.). The little things go a long way for independent business operators. I hope your friend's recovery is swift and complete.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 03 Dec 2019 20:32

Analogcd wrote:
03 Dec 2019 15:34
I had similar experience decades ago: my bench and shop experienced a severely damaging power surge when drunk driver ran into transformer. It blew out my two surge protection units and every lamp in the office and shop. One of the best gestures customers did was drop by to bring me lunches and help with the basics (replacing lamps, ballasts, taking destroyed gear to dump, etc.). The little things go a long way for independent business operators. I hope your friend's recovery is swift and complete.
I have offered to make some time to help him sift through thing or move things around when needed. He thanked me for the offer but so far he hasn't taken me up on it. But at least he knows he can just drop me an email and I would definitely help out in that regard

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 03 Dec 2019 20:56

Maybe he can join your Time Travel Society, go back to just before the incident, and, with your help, get everything out of his shop.

Issuesman666
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Issuesman666 » 07 Dec 2019 12:45

There must be a legal way to claim damages from a police pursuit.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 08 Dec 2019 02:56

Issuesman666 wrote:
07 Dec 2019 12:45
There must be a legal way to claim damages from a police pursuit.
I wouldn't hold my breath on that

TudorTurtle
United States of America

Post by TudorTurtle » 14 Dec 2019 13:59

Can you share contact info for this shop?
Name and rough address?

Not a lot of these folks around!!