Gyrodec SE platter static.

a space odyssey
Alexanderlivy666

Gyrodec SE platter static.

Post by Alexanderlivy666 » 26 Oct 2017 22:13

I experience terrible static whenever I remove a record from the platter of my Gyrodec SE.

Werner
long player
long player

Re: Gyrodec SE platter static.

Post by Werner » 27 Oct 2017 05:54

That is very unusual.

Are you sure there is an electrical connection between the subchassis and the armboard, either through metal bolts, or through a wire?

The platter and bearing require a path to the arm's grounding cable.

Dave W
England

Post by Dave W » 28 Oct 2017 15:57

I get it with mine when the weather is warm and dry.

jazzwessem
Netherlands

Post by jazzwessem » 18 Nov 2017 16:56

It can occur in a very dry environment (central heating), when not using anti-static innersleeves, when you floor has a synthetic carpet on it, when you wear synthetic or wool clothes......some solutions: try using a antistatic device like the Zerostat or National Anti-Stator, get a humidifier, buy antistatic innersleeves, make sure your turntable is grounded. Gr. Roel

wernerfel

Post by wernerfel » 26 Nov 2017 02:55

I can confirm the static issue too – for a Gyrodec with rega tonearm.

Static charge springs from platter to tonearm – even on a rainy day; is induced by the belt to the platter system. Tests with additional grounding cable from internal grounding point with aluminium screw towards phono pre didn't helped (static issue still given and in addition some hum was introduced). Rega tonearm has a fine grounding cable with small eyehole. This is connected to the pre-mounted ground screw on tonearm discus base.
For my understanding bearing gives platter no grounding as oil isolates from sub chassis (with the internal grounding point).
Workaround: Touching the spinning pulley discharged the static – but this is not a really a suitable solution.
Unclear is whether you have to connect the tonearm grounding cable or better leave it aside. Is this a must or should this be avoided? What are your findings and solutions?

Werner
long player
long player

Post by Werner » 26 Nov 2017 14:11

Wet-clean your records. Problem gone.

wernerfel

Post by wernerfel » 26 Nov 2017 21:51

Thanks for your reply - disc washer is in house and in use. But note that even without vinyl on platter static charge is generated by turning platter.
Aside standing Sony PSE-4000 turntable has no issue - room climate is fine.
Gyrodec is brand new and first days in use.

wernerfel

Post by wernerfel » 03 Dec 2017 22:30

Good news! Removal of the provided grounding from tonearme base to the sub chassis reduced static issues to much lesser occurance rate. Not droven down to zero but only 1 or 2 medium loud spikes per each side will get hearable. Already a 95% solution I can live with and enjoy music at last.
Next attempt will also remove the grounding cable of the tonearm from the tonearm disqus base. Hopefully the issue is eliminated then completely.
Lesson learned is that Gyrodec doesn't like grounding to phone pre. Mitchell provides no cable out of the box, take this as valuable hint.
Usage of sweep brush from Transrotor didn't solved the issue (whether operated with separate grounding or without).

tiller

Post by tiller » 20 Mar 2019 15:51

wernerfel wrote:
03 Dec 2017 22:30
Good news! Removal of the provided grounding from tonearme base to the sub chassis reduced static issues to much lesser occurance rate. Not droven down to zero but only 1 or 2 medium loud spikes per each side will get hearable. Already a 95% solution I can live with and enjoy music at last.
Next attempt will also remove the grounding cable of the tonearm from the tonearm disqus base. Hopefully the issue is eliminated then completely.
Lesson learned is that Gyrodec doesn't like grounding to phone pre. Mitchell provides no cable out of the box, take this as valuable hint.
Usage of sweep brush from Transrotor didn't solved the issue (whether operated with separate grounding or without).
Apologies for bumping an old thread. @Wernerfel did you ever find a solution to your static build up issues?