the home of the turntable

Set up of a Gyro dec?

a space odyssey

Set up of a Gyro dec?

Postby dvddvd » 12 Oct 2017 22:27

Just re setting up my turntable, I was going to give the main bearing some TLC. What do I do to fill it with oil etc and what oil? thanks
dvddvd

United Kingdom

Re: Set up of a Gyro dec?

Postby Schlep » 13 Oct 2017 05:22

Michell sells bearing oil. It runs $15 here in the US. I'm sure it is cheaper where you live. You can also do a search - someone, somewhere mentioned the oil weight. If that is to be believed, you may be able to save more $.

IIRC you should fill the well to withing 2mm of the top of the well - but confirm this point.

Also, put a little oil on the top of the shaft so there is some lubrication when you start the platter spinning. Though the shaft is self lubricating, you definitely want some bearing oil on the shaft to start with.

Something key - make sure the ball bearing is where it should be, they can fall out when the unit is disassembled.

Craig
Schlep

United States of America

Postby dvddvd » 13 Oct 2017 08:40

Hi thanks, I took it apart last night.

Mine is the brass coloured top bearing piece.

So I unscrew the platter disc fixing on top of the platter. Then lift off the platter?

I did that and then I pulled up the brass bit and it came off the spindle part. Do I fill the little tray part at the bottom with oil? There's a shaft with a off centre hole in it?

Where is the bearing supposed to be? Thanks
dvddvd

United Kingdom

Postby dinogyro » 13 Oct 2017 12:50

Yes, fill the tray at the bottom.

The ball bearing will be on top of the shaft, or stuck inside the bearing/spindle housing.
Gyro SE / HR PSU / Audiomods Series V / Goldring 2500 / Graham Slee Accession phono stage / Musical Fidelity A3 pre / Roksan M2 power amp / Focal Aria 926
dinogyro

United Kingdom

Return to Michell