Michell Syncro upgrades

a space odyssey
seabri

Michell Syncro upgrades

Post by seabri » 30 Nov 2016 14:24

Hi all. New to the forum but wanting to give my 'owned from new' Syncro an update. Been thinking about an Ortofon 2M red cartridge and a Gram 2 Communicator phono amp to feed into my Musical Fidelity Tempest Integrated amplifier. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good move or not?
Thanks for your feedback

b-ark-610873
Great Britain

Re: Michell Syncro upgrades

Post by b-ark-610873 » 01 Dec 2016 07:33

Welcome seabri!

It's hard to tell if your proposed cartridge and pre-amp will be a significant improvement over what you currently have but in my experience a well maintained Syncro will handle a very reasonable upgrade to those parts. See my signature for my current config, which I believe the turntable handles very well and judge for yourself how far you wish to experiment.

It's also worth noting that the Syncro can be upgraded if you wish. Later ones, with the more square cover, have the same inverted bearing as the Mycro (and derived from the Gyro) and it should be a backward compatible upgrade for earlier, round corner, examples. Also the platter can be replaced with the black one from the Mycro. This is more radical and, as some have reasonably noted, may reduce the looks in favour of a little improvement in sound. So, you pay your money, you take your choice.

I think the Syncro is great spinner and certainly holds its own after 30-odd years.

Ian

seabri

Post by seabri » 01 Dec 2016 12:01

Ian
Thanks for the thoughts. My Syncro is 'as supplied' with Rega arm and AT95 cartridge and has the square cover. I have just purchased a new belt and there is a little difference in the lengths of the new and original!!
I have always been very happy with the sound and glad I have kept it for 3 decades.

b-ark-610873
Great Britain

Post by b-ark-610873 » 01 Dec 2016 12:25

First thing - if you haven't done it in a while then open the bearing, clean it out and re-oil. Then, if you have a felt mat, replace that with either cork or a Funk Firm Achromat.

If it were me, to replace the AT95 I would look beyond the 2M Red to at least a Blue or even a Bronze. Before going to a Black - which you should do :wink: - get the arm wiring updated and move up to the Gram Amp 2SE.

All IMHO of course.

seabri

Post by seabri » 01 Dec 2016 13:54

Ian
Very interesting to read that you think the Syncro will tolerate such an improvement. I will investigate changing the oil but I have never done it previously!!

Werner
long player
long player

Post by Werner » 02 Dec 2016 06:24

That's only natural. After all the Mycro is exactly a Syncro with updates to bearing and platter.

Note that the belt is directional. If you inspect it under a loupe you'll see scales in the belt surface. Orient the belt so that these scales do no rub against the motor pulley.

I have a hardly used black 5 mm Achromat I might be willing to part with, provided I find a safe way of shipping it. But you would have to change arm height, of course.

Do you have a clamp, if not, add!

seabri

Post by seabri » 02 Dec 2016 13:40

Thanks for the offer Werner but I would need to add VTA adjustment first and I believe that Michell's own adjuster needs to have the mounting hole opened out before it will fit my RB250.
I don't have a clamp but had read elsewhere that the extra inertia of the clamp can have a negative effect on the motor. Have you experienced this?
I will also take a good look at my new belt. I assumed it was a plain O ring without any directional features.

Werner
long player
long player

Post by Werner » 04 Dec 2016 08:50

I don't have a clamp but had read elsewhere that the extra inertia of the clamp can have a negative effect on the motor. Have you experienced this?
That is nonsense. For one thing, the clamp is too light and to small to have any effect on the motor. For another thing, all Michells with a hard platter were designed for use with a clamp, even when the clamp itself does not come standard with the deck. So if you ever get to a hard-top platter, also add a clamp.

Even with a felt mat you could use a clamp, but then only on severely warped records.