Introduction and a new project

a space odyssey
b-ark-610873
Great Britain

Introduction and a new project

Post by b-ark-610873 » 15 Aug 2016 13:47

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and give a bit of background of an upcoming project I've talked myself into.

Like many here I'm reintroducing vinyl playback into my system, having spent a long while building a cracking digital-based playback. In my case it's a Michell Syncro with RB300 and Goldring 1042 which I've had in store at my parent's house for 12 years. My plan is to re-commission it and then have some fun upgrading it!

The current plan is to do the following:
- replace the bearing and glass platter with the Mycro inverted bearing and Gyrodec-like platter
- put blu-tak under the chassis (works for the Orbe, right?)
- replace the arm with an Audiomods of some form (see how mad I feel at the checkout)
- replace the cartridge with something, not entirely sure yet but am heading for an Ortofon 2M Black
- Stabilised power supply (Pro-ject or Clearaudio). Motor on the Syncro is 240V AC.
- Polish the lid, which is rather badly scratched.

The aim is to document as much as possible on the way, in case anyone is interested.

Any advice on the way would be great. BTW I know the obvious advice would be "sell it and buy a Gyro" but I've never been as much a fan of the looks of the grown up deck.

Ian

PS: The rest of the system is Gram Amp 2SE, through to Meridian AC200 and DSP5200SE speakers.

PAR

Re: Introduction and a new project

Post by PAR » 28 Aug 2016 14:42

Just a couple of points:

1. The under chassis damping on the Orbe is not Blutack but a similar but denser material called Densodamp. NB : it is not applied to all of the underside of the chassis. If over done then then this may well sound overdamped. Michell use a precisely weighed amount.

2. The choice of an Audiomods arm is excellent . I have recently installed a Series Five Micrometer on my two arm Orbe. The only thing to look out for with an Ortofon 2M is that you can get the arm low enough at the pillar to ensure correct VTA/SRA. I use my arm for a 2M Mono SE but the arm is almost at the lower limit of its vertical movement. I have to say that finding a starting point where the arm is parallel to the disc/platter is hard to measure ( can't be eyeballed as the arm is wedge shaped). Audiomods provide a kind of plastic height gauge but it really only works with cartridges that are 17mm tall.

2Ms with an Audiomod arm may also require removal of one or two of the counterweight rings to balance out.

b-ark-610873
Great Britain

Post by b-ark-610873 » 29 Aug 2016 14:50

Hi PAR

Thanks for the notes. I was aware of Densodamp but was feeling a bit cheapskate so thought of something I can liberate from the office supply cupboard :-" . Maybe I'll splash out.

Re the tonearm, I've done some checking and there is not a lot of clearance behind the arm before you hit the cover. I might have to remove the fine balance arm off the back to make it fit (which Jeff says is possible but not ideal).

Ian

fade away
England

Post by fade away » 31 Aug 2016 17:51

I would personally keep it original, the Michell Synchro glass platter looks amazing. I agree the power supply could be upgraded, I would speak to Michell first to see what they could come up with.

The matt finish Audiomods tonearm would go very well with the existing glass/matt silver platter. Speak to Jeff i'm sure he could make a replacement metal arm base to replace the existing black perspex arm base.

Good luck I look forward to seeing some before and after photos if possible.

b-ark-610873
Great Britain

Post by b-ark-610873 » 31 Aug 2016 19:14

The thought behind changing the platter/bearing was to improve on the sound of the glass. That said, according to Steve Rowland at Michell you can change the bearing without changing the platter so an alternative might be changing the bearing only. Unfortunately the factory is shut until next week so I'm waiting for confirmation of what can be done.

Great idea about changing the armboard - I'll have a word with Jeff.

I will try and take as many photos as possible and I'm also planning to do a set of "before and after" recordings (24/96 digital) when I can decide what to record.

b-ark-610873
Great Britain

Post by b-ark-610873 » 16 Nov 2016 10:27

A brief update.

I've stripped the Syncro down, re-oiled (it was almost completely dry!), fitted an Audiomods Classic 2 and an an Ortofon 2M black. It now looks like this:

and I'm a very happy bunny indeeed :D

So far I've held off from the bearing and platter changes - might do that but it has been difficult getting them from source so I might wait for a Mycro to come up on eBay (they're reasonably common).

I have put some blu-tak inside the motor housing to see if it will damp the vibrations a bit.

It's still running in so I'll give more info soon.

Ian

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 16 Nov 2016 18:06

Well done Ian, looks cool, from a fellow Londoner- ish. :D

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 17 Nov 2016 07:33

Looking great, Ian. The Audiomods arms are fantastic, I have two! ;-)