Fitting a GP armboard

a space odyssey
danielboone

Fitting a GP armboard

Post by danielboone » 24 May 2016 15:51

Received my GD armband upgrade kit today . There`s
one thing puzzling me when fitting to the bottom of tone arm are the wires from the tone arm fitted by a plug ,so i can just pull out then fit through the GD armboard or do i need to pull the wire(with rca plugs all the way to the armboard to fit through the armboard . Thanks

Tarzan

Re: Fitting a GP armboard

Post by Tarzan » 25 May 2016 19:35

What arm are you using?

When l fitted mine (SME fitting)you put the wires through the armboard/ GP Armboard as it is just an extension of what armboard you are already using. ( In principle that is.)

danielboone

Post by danielboone » 26 May 2016 00:36

REGA RB 303
Tarzan wrote:What arm are you using?

When l fitted mine (SME fitting)you put the wires through the armboard/ GP Armboard as it is just an extension of what armboard you are already using. ( In principle that is.)
Thats it ,don`t know what i was worrying about .
The next steps...... and the earth strap is covered ,by the upgrade on fitting..and one of the 3 bolts that holds the strap the other end . I'm giving it half an hour the i`ll sleep on it . Thanks for you help Tarzan

damir_gyro

Post by damir_gyro » 26 May 2016 12:33

Would love to hear your thoughts on GP armboard upgrade. Thinking about adding to my GyroSE as well.

GyroSE
Sweden

Post by GyroSE » 26 May 2016 13:49

damir_gyro wrote:Would love to hear your thoughts on GP armboard upgrade. Thinking about adding to my GyroSE as well.
IMHO the GP armboard upgrade is a no brainer. Go for it!

Rotterdam 010

Post by Rotterdam 010 » 27 May 2016 12:45

GyroSE wrote:
damir_gyro wrote:Would love to hear your thoughts on GP armboard upgrade. Thinking about adding to my GyroSE as well.
Yes, go for it. You won't regret =D>

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 29 May 2016 06:15

Yes- just purchase the GP armboard- great VFM. :D

Onder014

Post by Onder014 » 13 Jun 2016 11:28

Rotterdam 010 wrote:
GyroSE wrote:
Yes, go for it. You won't regret =D>
To me it wasn't a no-brainer at all. Before considering to buy one I had to know the impact on SQ: wouldn't it result in a too analytical sound, loss of liveliness, etc.
Rotterdam010 convinced me that nothing of the aforementioned matters would be the case.
My Gyro is one of the newer generation with standoffs already fitted with rubber o-rings for decoupling. Another reason for buying is the fact that the chassis at the position for mounting the armboard isn't flat. the outer edge of the "ear" is 0,3 mm down. It was the best (flattest) chassis out of 7 I could select. Discussing the 0,3 mm with Gert he offered me made to measure standoffs to compensate the deviation.

So I ordered the GP armboard and mounted it on the Gyro. It looks nice, armboard is absolutely level now and that was already worth the investment.

After setting the appropriate parameters like VTA, it was time for listening.
Wowww, what a nice surprise.... :D =D>
Already at the first notes the difference was remarkable. The voice of Frank Sinatra was more "Frank Sinatra" than ever before. The typical elements in the voice were more profound and trustworthy there.
The bass has more impact and there is a gain in dynamics. There's a remarkable gain in tranquility, convenience and naturalness.

Indeed a no-brainer and gives you a lot of joy.

Thanks Rotterdam010 for offering your time to convince me :wink:

Regards,
Henk

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 13 Jun 2016 19:18

Glad you are enjoying the GP armboard :mrgreen:

Rotterdam 010

Post by Rotterdam 010 » 14 Jun 2016 09:31

Hi Henk,

I am glad to read your comments about the armboard upgrade here and that it is satisfactory to you too.

It was really a pleasure to help you sort out a few things. Especially because it was a nice break during working hours :D
Feel free to stay in contact if you like to share your experiences with the Gyro. And who knows, maybe we'll meet sometime at Lantaren/Venster or anywhere else in our beloved hometown Rotterdam.

Regards,

René

gazjam

Post by gazjam » 19 Jun 2016 13:22

Fitting my SME V and Gert armboard today, hit a snag!
Probably something obvious Im overlooking but hope someone can help. :)

Its about the earthing strap and how it all goes together with the Gert upgrade and the V.

My SME armboard came from Michell with the earthing strap screwed onto it.
As previously I had a technoarm (with Michell decoupling kit) I had the earthing strap with the large metal loop which fitted up and onto the threaded pillar of the Technoarm...so I just unscrewed and discarded the strap that was screwd onto the bottom of the Michell armboard.

With the SME its obviously different.

Gerts fitting instructions show the SME armboard fitting directly onto the rubber damper and acrylic plate?
With the screwed in earthing strap on the underside of the armboard this causes an interfereance problem and the plate wont sit flat due to the protuding screwhead holding the strap in place.

With the technoarm, I just took it off as the arm was being earthed my the "large loop" earthing strap fitten onto the arms threaded pillar.

If I take the strap off the underside of the SME armboard, the kit fits together properly how do I earth the SME V arm??
(Gert has provided an extra long screw which I believe is for this purpose?)

help, Im stuck! :)
Thanks.

gazjam

Post by gazjam » 20 Jun 2016 10:00

All sorted now.

danielboone

Post by danielboone » 20 Jun 2016 16:29

Had the same problem with the Rega RB303 ARM i put the end of earth strap that was screwed into chassis on top of the vinyl ring but was`t happy with its location . it obviously made the ring lay uneven. So i removed the whole upgrade and went back to how i t was when i bought the Gyrodec.
i wrote to GERT but i think i gave him a bit of a hard time ,with my lack of knowledge . How did you end up sorting yours please .?

gazjam

Post by gazjam » 21 Jun 2016 00:13

Hi

What I did was to unscrew the earthing strap from the Michell armboard (as it was causing interference with the Gert Pedersen armboard - the acrylic plate/gasket comes into direct contact with the underside of the Michell board and the screw stops it mating flush) and instead connect that end of the earthing strap to one of the 4 mounting bolts of the SME arm, which screw into the 4 holes on the Michell armboard.

The other end of the earthstrap connects to the longer of the 3 screws that Gert supplies to bolt down the SME armboard to his acrylic plate.

This way, I was effectivly doing the same thing as witht eh earth strap connected by Michell...the armboard was connected to the chassis of the turntable.

Hope that helps!

danielboone

Post by danielboone » 21 Jun 2016 00:40

i asked for a longer bolt but he said i did`t need it . i think we both agreed a longer strap was needed . As yet i have not made one . Glad you sorted yours .