Should i upgrade my michel gyro se

a space odyssey
Cyreg

Re: Should i upgrade my michel gyro se

Post by Cyreg » 03 May 2016 20:54

Tarzan wrote:If you are keeping your Gyro- just buy The Orbe Clamp it really is rather good. Looks cool too. :mrgreen:
On my TecnoDec I can easily put a little bit of pressure on my standard clamp-with-platter without it bouncing around (no springs :wink: )

Have no experience with the Orbe clamp, but probably it's also easier and better to control to turn/screw a clamp on a Gyro (with springs) instead of having to put pressure on the platter and than fasten it

Also I never try to flatten a record with the clamp, I just put on a certain amount of pressure (little) to couple the record to the platter :!:

danielboone

Post by danielboone » 03 May 2016 22:56

Thanks everyone who has answered . Your advice has been taken on board with grateful thanks.
i sent an email to Audiomods asking about their tone arms .I got an answer back from the maker of the
arms He also then replied to a few questions i gave him .
WELL impressed.
So i`ve decided to go for Orbe clamp ,Classic ii arm,HRS psu, and try the goldring 2300 i have.
Will go for the clamp first then the psu

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 04 May 2016 18:32

danielboone wrote:Thanks everyone who has answered . Your advice has been taken on board with grateful thanks.
i sent an email to Audiomods asking about their tone arms .I got an answer back from the maker of the
arms He also then replied to a few questions i gave him .
WELL impressed.
So i`ve decided to go for Orbe clamp ,Classic ii arm,HRS psu, and try the goldring 2300 i have.
Will go for the clamp first then the psu

Good luck Daniel ( I assume that is your name :D ) and let us know how you get along. :mrgreen:

danielboone

Post by danielboone » 04 May 2016 18:37

Thanks Tarzan ,regards Peter (danielboone)

danielboone

Post by danielboone » 18 May 2016 10:38

i have installed the HR psu . Pleased with improvement. i have fitted the or be record clamp . Have only had time to use it on YELLO ,The race .It was warped but plays flat with clamp on and again pleased with sound .
Trying to do the upgrades bit by bit . i have contacted GP about armband upgrade and continue to seek info on a probable arm upgrade . Thanks all for your help .

stevebrock

Post by stevebrock » 24 May 2016 07:44

I added the Orbe clamp yo my Gyro SE - really worthily upgrade lot more definition to the vast - also flattens out most records - the good thing about it is you can apply little or a lot of pressure - great for those slightly warned records - this enables the platter interface to couple with thr records which improves the sound.

The HR PSU is my next upgrade

danielboone

Post by danielboone » 24 May 2016 15:43

Used my orbe clamp today and turned it to tighten it . i must have turned too far as it went turning and turning without tightening any further . In essence it turns down tight only so far . is this right ,what if i need to flatten a warped disc ? cheers.

sch-w1ng

Post by sch-w1ng » 26 May 2016 17:53

danielboone wrote:i have installed the HR psu . Pleased with improvement.
Can you go into a bit more depth on the sound improvement, is it night and day difference and no brainer purchase?

danielboone

Post by danielboone » 27 May 2016 12:50

improvements = :D cleaner ,more base ,clearer definition .No not night and day . :D
Last edited by danielboone on 27 May 2016 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 27 May 2016 12:57

It wasn't a massive improvement to my (cloth) ears. Maybe a bit more of a spacious sound, nore open? I'm not sure how to describe it.

I got mine for £380 at HiFiX.