Gyro SE with Audiomods V

a space odyssey
dinogyro

Re: Gyro SE with Audiomods V

Post by dinogyro » 04 May 2016 08:30

Jeff's got a Series V on the photo he sent me.

Just thinking back now, when I bought the Gyro, there was a mix-up with the dealer and he thought I was just buying the TT. He'd set it up with about £6000-worth of amp and speakers to show me what it could do. I found the sound very thin and bass light. Actually, it was unlistenable for me.

Over the next couple of hours we came down in price, but up in speaker size and I found the combination that worked for me.

packgrog

Post by packgrog » 04 May 2016 14:38

Well, yeah, various system components are going to have different impacts. If you heard the deck through an overall bass-light system, you'll have a different experience.
watchnerd wrote:
packgrog wrote:Uh, I think Jeff is stating that the GYRO is not a bass-head deck.
I debate that there is such a thing in absolute terms and in isolation.
Well, I've heard different decks and read different reviews, all of which has indicated that higher mass turntables tend to have deeper bass, due to the nature of how they handle vibrations. Each piece impacts the sound differently, and low-mass turntables tend to have a different character than high mass. *shrug* Sure, you can tweak other parts of a system to compensate for weaknesses elsewhere, which is why synergy is important. I actually found that using a high-mass platform (Mapleshade) increased bass response to a point that I disliked, especially with a Dynavector 10x5. Also, something as simple as over-tightening headshell screws or VTA locks can cause bass bloat. There's so many factors involved.

I would highly recommend going for the micrometer VTA if you go for the Audiomods, though. I hate the standard VTA lock. With the acrylic pistons, I either over-tighten the lock and cause bass bloat, or it's easily dislodged. So annoying. It also rotates in the collar just from using the cue lever sometimes. The micrometer version does not seem like it would have either of these issues. Don't cheap out here like I did.

Sorry if this is incoherent. Still half-asleep. :P

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 04 May 2016 15:16

Doesn't the Gyro count as a high-mass platter?

I've emailed Jeff and told him that I will have a Series V with micrometer.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 04 May 2016 15:47

packgrog wrote:Well, yeah, various system components are going to have different impacts. If you heard the deck through an overall bass-light system, you'll have a different experience.
watchnerd wrote:
packgrog wrote:Uh, I think Jeff is stating that the GYRO is not a bass-head deck.
I debate that there is such a thing in absolute terms and in isolation.
Well, I've heard different decks and read different reviews, all of which has indicated that higher mass turntables tend to have deeper bass, due to the nature of how they handle vibrations. Each piece impacts the sound differently, and low-mass turntables tend to have a different character than high mass. *shrug* Sure, you can tweak other parts of a system to compensate for weaknesses elsewhere, which is why synergy is important. I actually found that using a high-mass platform (Mapleshade) increased bass response to a point that I disliked, especially with a Dynavector 10x5. Also, something as simple as over-tightening headshell screws or VTA locks can cause bass bloat. There's so many factors involved.
It's not as simple as just mass, it's the resonant frequency and Q-factor (sharpness of resonance peak / ringing amplitude / energy storage) that matters.

I could make you a 20kg platter made of lead crystal and a 20kg platter made of rubber and they're going to have very different bass characteristics despite having the same mass due to differences in energy storage and resonant frequencies.

Also, high mass aluminum platters can ring in the presence range -- very un-bass-like -- see Acoustic Signature's own measurement graphs on this.

packgrog

Post by packgrog » 04 May 2016 18:22

All entirely valid points, watchnerd.

Regardless, I don't think that the arm would be a problem, here. Nor do I think that a Michell deck would really be lacking in bass, but that's just from my experience and preference given synergy with my own listening setups. Other options might provide "more", but whether it would be "better" may be subject to debate.

sturgus
United States of America

Post by sturgus » 05 May 2016 08:09

I've emailed Jeff and told him that I will have a Series V with micrometer.[/quote]

Congratulations, you should be very pleased. I am quite sure you will have better bass with this arm compared to the stock Rega. When you get it setup let us know what you think. I also think it's going to look real sharp. 8)
Sturgus

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 05 May 2016 09:16

Yes, I think it will look great. From all the reviews I've read, it should sound as good as it looks.

Jeff hasn't replied yet, but I think it's about a four week wait. It will give me time to finish the dining room, which will be it's permanent home.

fade away
England

Post by fade away » 05 May 2016 17:41

You won't regret buying a audiomods tonearm. I have had my audiomods tonearm since 2011 and still love it. I might upgrade it to the micrometer version one day.

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 05 May 2016 23:51

That does look fantastic. What system do you have and how is your bass?

chili555

Post by chili555 » 09 Jun 2016 01:07

I am not at all dissatisfied with the bass from my Gyro SE and Audiomods Classic II.

The remainder of my system, for comparison, is an AT33PTG/II, Cinemag CM1254 SUT, Audible Illusions Modulus 3B, Ayre v-5xe and Vandersteen Treo CTs.

The Vandys aren't the last word in deep bass, but what there is is tight and very well defined.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j38 ... akvxrm.jpg

danielboone

Post by danielboone » 10 Jun 2016 00:51

I`m sorry to hear that chili555. i`m about to pull the trigger on the same arm after changing my mind several times . Is there any one else not happy with the audiomods classic ii upgrade ?

danielboone

Post by danielboone » 10 Jun 2016 00:55

dinogyro wrote:Doesn't the Gyro count as a high-mass platter?

I've emailed Jeff and told him that I will have a Series V with micrometer.

Any arm yet ?

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 10 Jun 2016 09:33

Yes, It arrived on Wednesday.
Gyro with Audiomods.JPG
(163.66 KiB) Downloaded 450 times

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 10 Jun 2016 09:36

I had a number of upgrades planned, which included Densodamp, Orbe clamp, Goldring 2500 cartridge and, of course, the Audiomods arm.
What I should of done is add one item at a time and judge the effect. This would mean taking the TT apart a few times over the course of a few days. I got too impatient/excited and installed the whole lot at once.

danielboone

Post by danielboone » 10 Jun 2016 20:04

Yes ,i know what you mean .i installed upgrades and then took it back to the original .Had lot of trouble with the armboard upgrade . Still messing about . Are you finding the Audiomods arm as good as you hoped . Was it easy to install?