Gyro SE with Audiomods V

a space odyssey
dinogyro

Re: Gyro SE with Audiomods V

Post by dinogyro » 10 Jun 2016 21:02

I think the combination of all the upgrades has been great, but obviously, I can't tell you which one had the most effect!
Playing Peter Gabriel's album 'So' the bass is really deep and also well defined. Anything that has bass is reproduced really well. I am very happy with it. I like a really warm sound and I have it. The instruments seem well separated. Even the really bad sibilance on 'In Your Eyes' is kept to a minimum.
I am a novice at fiddling with turntables, so it wasn't that easy to fit the arm, but I had it done in one evening. Comprehensive instructions are supplied. It has to come off again for two reasons:
1) The way I placed it, the arm lift is too close to the arm rest, which means that when you are cueing for the start of the record, the arm is only just balancing on the edge of the lift. But I can't turn the arm too far away from the platter, or I can't get the Michell SEcure cover on. it will hit the arm's finger lift.
2) My armboard is mounted on 12mm standoffs. This leaves the arm too high, even on the lowest VTA setting. I had to use a spacer in the headshell to get a level arm.
I bought the micrometer arm to experiment with various VTA settings (to see if I can notice any difference), so this is no good. Michell are going to quote me for some shorter standoffs, as they do not do a smaller one than 10mm off the shelf.

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 10 Jun 2016 21:06

I meant the arm lift is at the wrong angle in relation to the start of the record. The whole arm needs to be turned a few degrees.

chili555

Post by chili555 » 10 Jun 2016 23:04

danielboone wrote:I`m sorry to hear that chili555. i`m about to pull the trigger on the same arm after changing my mind several times . Is there any one else not happy with the audiomods classic ii upgrade ?
I didn't think my post suggested that I was not happy. I am very happy.

danielboone

Post by danielboone » 11 Jun 2016 00:35

chili555 wrote:I am not at all dissatisfied with the bass from my Gyro SE and Audiomods Classic II.

The remainder of my system, for comparison, is an AT33PTG/II, Cinemag CM1254 SUT, Audible Illusions Modulus 3B, Ayre v-5xe and Vandersteen Treo CTs.

The Vandys aren't the last word in deep bass, but what there is is tight and very well defined.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j38 ... akvxrm.jpg

Sorry chilli 555 i misread your post ,i`m glad you are happy .

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 11 Jun 2016 09:30

Chili555 - Are you a professional photographer? Your TT looks fantastic in that shot. Makes me wonder if I should have gone for a polished finish.

chili555

Post by chili555 » 11 Jun 2016 12:38

Chili555 - Are you a professional photographer? Your TT looks fantastic in that shot.
No, but thank you for the implied compliment.

I do use a DSLR, a 40-year-old manual focus lens and a tripod, however. Yeah, old school for sure. Crazy, isn't it? Using a camera to take photographs and a phone to make voice calls.