Gyro SE with Audiomods V

a space odyssey
dinogyro

Gyro SE with Audiomods V

Post by dinogyro » 29 Apr 2016 17:19

I was thinking of getting an Audiomods Series V with micrometer VTA. I contacted Jeff at Audiomods and mentioned, among other things, that I like a lot of bass.
He replied and said that he doubted I would ever get good bass from a Gyro. He says his Gyro setup is musical and best suited to acoustic music.
Now, I have what I think is good bass already, I just didn't want less bass with the new arm.
Does anyone have the Gyro/Audiomds combo? Is it a bit lacking in the bass department?

GyroSE
Sweden

Re: Gyro SE with Audiomods V

Post by GyroSE » 30 Apr 2016 07:43

dinogyro wrote:I was thinking of getting an Audiomods Series V with micrometer VTA. I contacted Jeff at Audiomods and mentioned, among other things, that I like a lot of bass.
He replied and said that he doubted I would ever get good bass from a Gyro. He says his Gyro setup is musical and best suited to acoustic music.
Now, I have what I think is good bass already, I just didn't want less bass with the new arm.
Does anyone have the Gyro/Audiomds combo? Is it a bit lacking in the bass department?
I wonder if Jeff has ever had the chance to listen to a Gyro combined with one of the SME tonearms...IMHO such a combination gives lots of (deep) high quality bass and dynamics...

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 30 Apr 2016 15:08

dinogyro wrote:I was thinking of getting an Audiomods Series V with micrometer VTA. I contacted Jeff at Audiomods and mentioned, among other things, that I like a lot of bass.
He replied and said that he doubted I would ever get good bass from a Gyro.
This is just dumb. There are too many variables at play in alternative tonearm and cartridge combos to make such a blanket statement.

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 30 Apr 2016 15:51

I wouldn't say dumb, as we all have our own perceptions and in his system, that is how he perceives the sound.
I was really wanting to know if anyone had tried the Audiomods arm with a Gyro, not to argue with Jeff's opinion.

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 30 Apr 2016 15:52

I really don't want to upset anyone! I've seen how these things go on other forums (fora?).

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 30 Apr 2016 16:05

dinogyro wrote:I wouldn't say dumb, as we all have our own perceptions and in his system, that is how he perceives the sound.
I was really wanting to know if anyone had tried the Audiomods arm with a Gyro, not to argue with Jeff's opinion.
I thought you were looking for more bass?

Jeff seems to say you're not going to get it with that arm.

Why not consider other arms, in that case?

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 30 Apr 2016 17:07

Yes, I will have to consider other arms now, I think. Unless someone can say something to persuade me otherwise.
I know it's shallow, but the grey/gold Audiomods would look great on my Gyro!

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 01 May 2016 08:10

Dino,l found that partnering equipment is so important ( amps/speakers and phono amps) l found adding the Orbe clamp and GP armboard moved the GYRO to new levels of performance including bass output and performance.

In fact there are so many things that can affect bass and performance in general.

A bit of generalising l know.

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 01 May 2016 12:11

Yes, I was going to do the Orbe clamp upgrade. I'm not sure on the armboard upgrade, as I have the latest type armboard mount. But, it is obviously worth consideration. I will have to see which arm I decide on first.

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 02 May 2016 07:49

dinogyro wrote:Yes, I was going to do the Orbe clamp upgrade. I'm not sure on the armboard upgrade, as I have the latest type armboard mount. But, it is obviously worth consideration. I will have to see which arm I decide on first.
I when l brought my Orbe clamp l was expecting a small uplift in sound- not a large uplift, also the Pedersen armboard should be on every Michell T/T it is that good. :brit:

packgrog

Post by packgrog » 03 May 2016 18:36

Uh, I think Jeff is stating that the GYRO is not a bass-head deck. He's right, it's not. It's gloriously airy, with an open soundstage. I wish I could afford the upgrade.

I have a TecnoDec (aka: the Gymped Gyro) with an Audiomods Classic. Bass has NEVER been a problem for me. It's just not the "strong suit" of Michell or other low-mass decks. You might get more bass with the Orbe platter, or with a high-mass deck like a VPI. It has little or nothing to do with the arm. The arm is excellent. A Series V with the micrometer is drool-worthy.

packgrog

Post by packgrog » 03 May 2016 18:41

Here, try this on max resolution (it helps with sound quality). This is from my rig, recorded at 24/192 and converted down carefully to minimize bass bloat and loss of depth. Does this seem like too little bass to you?

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 03 May 2016 21:19

Thanks for taking the time to upload that file. Unfortunately, the laptop's audio out jack has decided it doesn't want to play any more, so I can't hear it through my external speakers.
I get enough bass from my current set-up, but I just didn't want less. Jeff has now confirmed that if I am happy with the bass I have, the Series V will be an upgrade.
Well, it's just too pretty not to have one. Matt silver and gold highlights to match my Gyro, I think.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 04 May 2016 00:39

packgrog wrote:Uh, I think Jeff is stating that the GYRO is not a bass-head deck.
I debate that there is such a thing in absolute terms and in isolation.

You can make a "bassy" deck less bassy with the right tonearm and cartridge combination. Or you can do the opposite and make a "lighter" deck more weighty with a different cartridge and tonearm.

It's not the job of the TT to have sound. The TT is supposed to turn at the right speed, avoid wow & flutter, and prevent resonances / vibrations from reaching the cart.

danielboone

Post by danielboone » 04 May 2016 00:55

dinogyro wrote:I wouldn't say dumb, as we all have our own perceptions and in his system, that is how he perceives the sound.
Jeff From Audio mods .has one on his gyro se .classic ii.