HR PSU

a space odyssey
allthingsanalogue

HR PSU

Post by allthingsanalogue » 13 Feb 2016 23:37

Does the HR PSU have an improvement on any wow & flutter measurements?

Thanks

Kernow

Re: HR PSU

Post by Kernow » 14 Feb 2016 12:37

Never measured it, but it's a definite improvement regardless. A must purchase I'd say.

GyroSE
Sweden

Post by GyroSE » 14 Feb 2016 13:06

I fully agree with Kernow about the HR PSU, it's a no brainer if you ask me. It's essential if you want your Gyro to reach its full potential IMHO. On top of this please add the Orbe Clamp kit upgrade and then you're home...

allthingsanalogue

Post by allthingsanalogue » 14 Feb 2016 14:59

I already have the Orbe clamp, the only reason I ask is I still hear a tiny bit of flutter on piano (unless I'm imagining it).

The deck is brand new and and I've be meticulous in trying to get the deck setup at its best.

arthur63

Post by arthur63 » 15 Feb 2016 11:22

Piano pieces are very good to use for determining stable turntable speed, provided the record is pressed well.
An off centred spindle hole can affect the playback of piano, making it sound slightly off.

When playing the record with the piano music look at the tonearm from above to see if there is sideways movement, towards the centre and then back like a pendulum.
A correctly centred spindle hole on a record will see the tonearm track quite straight.

albertan

Post by albertan » 16 Feb 2016 10:30

You might want to check your oil level. If it is just a tad low you might have a condition where the pump runs out of oil for a brief period and then a slug of lubricant smooths things out until the next time the pump runs out of oil.
On my Gorbe, the pulley was too low and was rubbing the motor housing by an almost imperceptible amount. I loosened the set screw (grub screw) and using playing cards as a spacer, I re-tightened the set screw. That set things straight.

sch-w1ng

Post by sch-w1ng » 17 Feb 2016 22:44

My Gyro sounds great without the PSU, it will sound even better when my new phono arrives!
I just can't bring myself to shell out 400 sheckles for the PSU when there's so much vinyl to buy!

GyroSE
Sweden

Post by GyroSE » 18 Feb 2016 19:20

sch-w1ng wrote:My Gyro sounds great without the PSU, it will sound even better when my new phono arrives!
I just can't bring myself to shell out 400 sheckles for the PSU when there's so much vinyl to buy!
You don't know what you're missing without the HR PSU. Yes it's a bit expensive but this is the only chance to be able to discover the GyroDecs full potential IMHO. Start saving for a HR PSU if you can, believe me you'll never regret buying one as soon as you've heard what difference it makes..

packgrog

Post by packgrog » 24 Feb 2016 18:34

At least you can get it for a reasonable price in the UK. The price are still shamefully over-inflated in the States. :/

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 25 Feb 2016 17:16

The GP Armboard is essential also. 8)

stevebrock

Post by stevebrock » 25 Feb 2016 20:36

sch-w1ng wrote:My Gyro sounds great without the PSU, it will sound even better when my new phono arrives!
Get the HR PSU - within 5 minutes I knew that was £380 well spent - massive improvement

Logan

Post by Logan » 06 Mar 2016 04:09

Like an earlier poster I decided to buy the HR power supply within 5 minutes of hearing it in my system. However it took two years of trawling around alleged Michell dealers before I found one who (a) had the unit in stock and (b) was prepared to lend it to me on a try before you buy basis. I was loath to buy it without audition because my ears are elderly and less discriminate than they were. And I had read on other websites some tepid reviews - "you'll strain to hear a difference" etc. I bought immediately without a thought as to whether or not the price was reasonable. The HR was cheaper than some of the cartridge upgrades I was contemplating.

But there is one drawback. I've been trying out all my "audiophile" LPs on it first, and I'm finding that around 30% of the recordings I'd long cherished as near-immaculate as far as sound quality is concerned are anything but. Other tables including the non-HR Gryo had not revealed this but the upgrade fearlessly exposes the best and worst aspects of a recording.

So be prepared to have a few illusions shattered. But everything else will compensate.

Cyreg

Post by Cyreg » 07 Mar 2016 10:13

Logan wrote: ....But there is one drawback. I've been trying out all my "audiophile" LPs on it first, and I'm finding that around 30% of the recordings I'd long cherished as near-immaculate as far as sound quality is concerned are anything but. Other tables including the non-HR Gryo had not revealed this but the upgrade fearlessly exposes the best and worst aspects of a recording.
That IMO means that your carefully builded soundbalance of the complete audiosystem is going to let you hear more detail, but less music (with less warmth/3D stage).

Same effect as I had on my several Cyrus based sytems with more PSX-R's...
...where ever I put those, I found less musicality and more 'so called' detail.
I sold those PS's again and now listen without those 'upgrades' :wink:

Logan

Post by Logan » 08 Mar 2016 11:39

That IMO means that your carefully builded soundbalance of the complete audiosystem is going to let you hear more detail, but less music (with less warmth/3D stage).
I don't have much idea of what you're trying to say, and I see no connection with the Cyrus equipment you mention. Your opinion of what I am hearing and what I actually hear are completely at variance - I simply hear a vastly better recording in all respects on my better LPs with the HR in place.

packgrog

Post by packgrog » 08 Mar 2016 18:48

I think I get what Cyreg is trying to say. Sometimes inferior equipment can provide a euphonic masking of flaws. I experienced this with an ADC change, where the better device ultimately resulting in a less enjoyable listening experience because it wasn't masking as many of the flaws. Your attention ends up going to those flawed details instead of a more relaxed overall experience where you could focus on the music itself. The whole "missing the forest for the trees" adage.

It can be thoroughly demoralizing when any hard-won improvements end up exposing more problems than increasing enjoyment. I often pine for the days of my Technics or piddly Rega P2 simply because they weren't so damned fiddly. While the TecnoDec is tecnically (get it?) a set-it-and-forget-it deck, I've found it extremely sensitive to very minor issues with placement. It can sound great (and likely would sound even better with the too-expensive HR PSU), but damn is it frustrating to get singing properly.