Mats on your Gyro/Orbe

a space odyssey
Tarzan

Mats on your Gyro/Orbe

Post by Tarzan » 17 Nov 2015 10:00

Just for fun who uses an aftermarket mat on their Michell's?

ehtoo
long player
long player

Re: Mats on your Gyro/Orbe

Post by ehtoo » 17 Nov 2015 17:38

I'm currently using an Origin Live mat on my Gyro SE and have been A, Bing it for about a year. I'd used the same mat as a replacement for the rubber Thorens with good results and thought, what the heck, why not try it on the Michell. Turned out to be a bit of a surprise in that there were noticeable improvements.

fade away
England

Post by fade away » 17 Nov 2015 21:03

I have used origin Live mat too since 2011 only has a dust cover for the platter.

airdronian
Canada

Post by airdronian » 18 Nov 2015 04:09

I tried a Herbie's Way Excellent II on my Gyro SE, as an experiment. I had previously used it on a Pro-Ject to good effect. On the Gyro I didn't prefer it to the bare platter. After adding the Orbe clamp kit, I am sticking with this arrangement.

fade away
England

Post by fade away » 18 Nov 2015 04:51

airdronian wrote:I tried a Herbie's Way Excellent II on my Gyro SE, as an experiment. I had previously used it on a Pro-Ject to good effect. On the Gyro I didn't prefer it to the bare platter. After adding the Orbe clamp kit, I am sticking with this arrangement.
I agree the Orbe clamp is a better upgrade. However I would love to add a Oyaide MJ-12 Turntable plate and clamp but I think they would be to heavy? I haven't looked into though. But I'd only do it for the looks.

ehtoo
long player
long player

Post by ehtoo » 18 Nov 2015 18:06

I've been contemplating this one http://oswaldsmillaudio.com/mat Anyone out there familiar with this mat? Scoped it whilst looking at the mono phono pre

tketcham

Post by tketcham » 19 Nov 2015 00:27

Hi, Tarzan,
I use a Herbie's "Donut" mat on my Gyro SE with the Orbe clamp upgrade. The "Donut" is basically the thin elastomer top layer of a Herbies's "Way-Excellent" mat. Using the "Donut" doesn't make a big difference in sound (which is a good thing in the case of the Gyro) but I do think it helps to dampen the LP and reduce the potential for resonance distortion.

Regards,
Tom

packgrog

Post by packgrog » 19 Nov 2015 18:33

I'd be more curious about how a peripheral ring might work with any of these decks, provided they weren't too heavy for the bearing or suspension.

I do also use a cheap mat from an old turntable (in this case an old Pioneer PL-200) as a dust cover. I could just as easily use the leather piece that I never got around to using as a mat on an earlier deck.

ehtoo
long player
long player

Post by ehtoo » 19 Nov 2015 18:40

packgrog wrote:I'd be more curious about how a peripheral ring might work with any of these decks, provided they weren't too heavy for the bearing or suspension.

I do also use a cheap mat from an old turntable (in this case an old Pioneer PL-200) as a dust cover. I could just as easily use the leather piece that I never got around to using as a mat on an earlier deck.
If you think $80 is a cheap mat because that's what the OL mat goes for. Seems to me a piece of paper would be considerably cheaper.

packgrog

Post by packgrog » 19 Nov 2015 20:52

LOL! Didn't even realize it was that expensive. Then again, the actual Michell dust covers cost more than that, even if the Unicover is only $20 more to cover both platter and tonearm. MY repurposed platter mat is cheap, though. :)

ehtoo
long player
long player

Post by ehtoo » 19 Nov 2015 21:55

packgrog wrote:LOL! Didn't even realize it was that expensive. Then again, the actual Michell dust covers cost more than that, even if the Unicover is only $20 more to cover both platter and tonearm. MY repurposed platter mat is cheap, though. :)
For a platter cover, I use a beat up LP with water colour paper glued to the surface which rests on the platter. I then cover the whole thing with a cotton cloth (paisley) to keep dust off. Quite stylish and passes the wifey sniff test. :lol:

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 21 Nov 2015 10:46

fade away wrote:
airdronian wrote:I tried a Herbie's Way Excellent II on my Gyro SE, as an experiment. I had previously used it on a Pro-Ject to good effect. On the Gyro I didn't prefer it to the bare platter. After adding the Orbe clamp kit, I am sticking with this arrangement.
I agree the Orbe clamp is a better upgrade. However I would love to add a Oyaide MJ-12 Turntable plate and clamp but I think they would be to heavy? I haven't looked into though. But I'd only do it for the looks.
Blimey, l was not expecting so many replies, l have an Oyaide mat sitting around doing nowt...........

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 04 Apr 2016 07:47

Isn't the platter of the Gyro / Orbe made with vinyl on the surface to increase the impedance matching, and thus vibration transfer away from the LP, without a mat?

Cyreg

Post by Cyreg » 04 Apr 2016 18:53

watchnerd wrote:Isn't the platter of the Gyro / Orbe made with vinyl on the surface to increase the impedance matching, and thus vibration transfer away from the LP, without a mat?
YES,....so I only bought a Michell clamp to complete my TecnoDec :D

huwge

Post by huwge » 09 Apr 2016 19:53

I use an achromat and the clamp too, if the vinyl isn't too thick, on my orbe
Gives a cleaner sound from what I recall, haven't checked for a while even though it's easy enough with the V.
I have a habit of making too many changes at once and have just double belted and raised the motor pod only a couple of weeks after getting some sds under the feet.
The single belt always seemed too low and having changed to the double belts I raised the motor pod on some black ravioli (that a mate had discarded as waste of time) which results in them being more or less mid platter.
Sounds fab anyway, maybe 'tighter' more 'driving' than in vanilla form.