turiddu

J A Michell Gyrodec

Post by turiddu » 09 Mar 2019 09:13

IMG_5101.jpg
(75.76000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
IMG_5101.jpg
(75.76000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Hello all,
I just got a Gyrodec turntable fitted with a Linn LXV arm and a new Hana SL cart. It arrived with shipping damage to the dust cover and the rear panel upon which the dust cover hinges upon. As a resolution to my dispute with the seller for his negligent packing job, I was sent a conversion kit which will strip the table of it's thick plexi plinth and dust cover permanently and a stand alone motor housing. I'm not pleased as the unit I fell in love with is not the unit I'm ending up with.
Questions:
1-Will this SE spider conversion improve the table in any other way than aesthetically (if you like the new look)?
2-It is my 1st time buying used gear and paypal has already refunded my money, should I expect the seller to make the table as I originally purchased it by sending me the replacement plexi pieces to make the unit as originally purchased or is this an unfair expectation on my part?
3-Will the overall sound of the unit improve or be degraded by the new motor housing and by eschewing the plinth and dust cover for the cover-less spider modification?
4-Whatever these buyer/seller results end up being, based on the table coming with the original non-inverted bearing and with the laptop styled AC PSU and AC motor, which upgrades to this table can/should be made to it to get the last full measure of fidelity from this table?
My sincere thanks in advance for you experience, insight and advice.
SR
Attachments
IMG_5118.jpg
(99.2 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
IMG_5117.jpg
(61.95 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
IMG_5114.jpg
(88.47 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
IMG_5102.jpg
(79.03 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

jmcwha

Re: J A Michell Gyrodec

Post by jmcwha » 09 Mar 2019 21:50

While I have no personell experience I have heard that the SE is supposed to sound better than the original Gyrodec.
If you have received a refund then I would say you hold all the cards to negotiate a better deal. Replacement parts on a second hand unit maybe asking a bit much but a reasonable discount on the original asking price sounds fair to me.
If you wind up keeping the deck, I would recommend upgrading the arm. The Gyrodec is worthy of a much better arm than a Linn Basik.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 09 Mar 2019 22:48

turiddu wrote:
09 Mar 2019 09:13
2-It is my 1st time buying used gear and paypal has already refunded my money, should I expect the seller to make the table as I originally purchased it by sending me the replacement plexi pieces to make the unit as originally purchased or is this an unfair expectation on my part?
Sorry if I misunderstood. Paypal has refunded you, you kept the table and the conversion kit sent by the seller, and now you are asking whether asking the seller to sort out the deck completely is an unfair expectation? Again, apologies if I misunderstood, but if you have had a full refund, and the deck, and the conversion kit, asking the seller anything else sounds a tad much.
Last edited by Copperhead on 09 Mar 2019 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 09 Mar 2019 22:50

You might want to have this moved to the Michell sub-forum....

But, yes, SE is often considered better than the old Gyrodec and ditto to the arm upgrade.

turiddu

Post by turiddu » 09 Mar 2019 23:42

I intend to repay the seller for the turntable but I really think I should receive the table that I saw and agreed to buy, not a stripped down, or even just a different version of it. I did a dispute with PayPal, the seller didn’t answer them in a timely manner and I was promptly refunded.

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 13 Mar 2019 18:13

the deck in the picture looks like a mk 1 , it will be a AC motor , the SE versions now use the DC version the early ones as well us the AC version 1st gen SE , the one in the picture may be over 30years old , if you paid for a different version tell the seller to shove it , also paypal will send you a refund if he does not reply after you have returned it to the address that PayPal has given you ,do not send to any other

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 13 Mar 2019 18:18

the cost of the upgrades would be considerable, more then the deck is worth ,,, i have the Michell Odssey , it uses a case and a spider , there is not much if any in the spider versions, just cost ,
the new inverted bearing , i think will fit out of the box, i suggest you look on this forum on the art of sound for further answers to your questions
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthr ... chell-gyro

garpt

Post by garpt » 14 Mar 2019 22:31

Take the refund and get a Gyrodec SE. I love it. Amazing detail, better motor, looks cool, need to place it about a foot away from a large Focal speaker and not a hint of rumble or feedback.

Ditto on the arm :)

P.S.: I can't remember how many TT's over the years I purchased from eBay that arrived in pieces. I have purchased one since then, a Denon, and I gave explicit instructions on how to pack it, what to take apart what materials to use, and double box. If he didn't want to do that, I would split the cost to have it packed professionally or he can keep it.