Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

a space odyssey
gwernaffield
member
member
Posts: 63
Joined: 29 Aug 2012 19:40
Location: wales

Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by gwernaffield » 01 Mar 2019 14:45

Hii have a few cheap upgrades you can do and buy the stuff off eBay ,
1 the Feet are on the gyro can move and also can transmit sound into the chassis on the gyro , so get so pro skateboard wheels off eBay 52x32 x21, and get 3 x12/bsf nuts ,push the nuts into the rubber wheels, and use the 3 stb parts of the feet which just screw into them , allowing for adjustment , the deck will now have less chance of moving ,
2 Buy some 7/32 aluminum oxide Bearings off eBay you need 4 , replace the bearings in the split suspension (upgraded ones) and the main bearing this will lower the noise floor off the bearing ,
3 buy some sorbothane , 3 mm thick , cut 3 pads, 8mm diameter and place on the split suspension small shaft
this will cut down on noise being transmitted into the pylon,
4 cut a disk of sorbothane to fit inside the clamp this will cut down on any resonance in the clamp ,

give them all a go and see what you think
all these are very cheap to do , all can be bought of eBay,

33na3rd
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 65
Joined: 21 Nov 2011 20:25

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by 33na3rd » 03 Mar 2019 00:20

gwernaffield wrote:
01 Mar 2019 14:45
Hii have a few cheap upgrades you can do and buy the stuff off eBay ,
1 the Feet are on the gyro can move and also can transmit sound into the chassis on the gyro , so get so pro skateboard wheels off eBay 52x32 x21, and get 3 x12/bsf nuts ,push the nuts into the rubber wheels, and use the 3 stb parts of the feet which just screw into them , allowing for adjustment , the deck will now have less chance of moving ,
2 Buy some 7/32 aluminum oxide Bearings off eBay you need 4 , replace the bearings in the split suspension (upgraded ones) and the main bearing this will lower the noise floor off the bearing ,
3 buy some sorbothane , 3 mm thick , cut 3 pads, 8mm diameter and place on the split suspension small shaft
this will cut down on noise being transmitted into the pylon,
4 cut a disk of sorbothane to fit inside the clamp this will cut down on any resonance in the clamp ,

give them all a go and see what you think
all these are very cheap to do , all can be bought of eBay,
Great ideas gwernaffield!

Your skateboard wheel footers are essentially a poor man's Stillpoint! I have used radial bearings in a similar fashion with good results, but your method sounds much easier!

Instead of sorbathane, I have used some of Hebie's Audio Labs "GrungeBuster" material to damp the inside of the clamp and replace the felt washer. It really made a big difference. I personally prefer the "GrungeBuster" material to sorbathane. It's available in sheets, which is much more affordable than buying Herbie's precut discs/washers.

Thank you for sharing your ideas!

33na3rd
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 65
Joined: 21 Nov 2011 20:25

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by 33na3rd » 03 Mar 2019 20:17

If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to share an image of the skateboard footer in use?

Thank you,

Jeff

33na3rd
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 65
Joined: 21 Nov 2011 20:25

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by 33na3rd » 03 Mar 2019 23:54

33na3rd wrote:
03 Mar 2019 20:17
If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to share an image of the skateboard footer in use?

Thank you,

Jeff
Quoting myself now. A friend sent me a link to another site where you have images of everything mentioned above. Beautiful work there! I misunderstood how the skateboard wheels were being used, my apologies.

I would have shared a link to that that site for others to see, but I was not sure if that would violate this forum's decorum.

gwernaffield
member
member
Posts: 63
Joined: 29 Aug 2012 19:40
Location: wales

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by gwernaffield » 04 Mar 2019 18:12

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthr ... yro/page21

you will find an image here , i do not know how to upload a picture on here

gwernaffield
member
member
Posts: 63
Joined: 29 Aug 2012 19:40
Location: wales

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by gwernaffield » 04 Mar 2019 18:21

sorry i have not been on for a while too busy making the replacement pylons,
i cannot Buy Herbie's Audio Labs stuff in the uk , so have to make do with sorbo

33na3rd
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 65
Joined: 21 Nov 2011 20:25

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by 33na3rd » 04 Mar 2019 20:06

gwernaffield wrote:
04 Mar 2019 18:21
sorry i have not been on for a while too busy making the replacement pylons,
i cannot Buy Herbie's Audio Labs stuff in the uk , so have to make do with sorbo
I can see why you've been busy, your work is beautiful!

gwernaffield
member
member
Posts: 63
Joined: 29 Aug 2012 19:40
Location: wales

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by gwernaffield » 07 Mar 2019 21:25

thank you i aim to please, it has taken a while to where i am happy with what i have made, and helped to get the very best out of the gyro and orbe, and help others, just cannot get Herbie's stuff here at a sensible cost after they add the post , part of the Affordable (not cheap ) was to keep the cost down where poss, so all the mods accept the pylons have to be just, the pylon cost is down to the machine shop treating every set as one off so the cost is due to them ,
all the owners are happy , the best part is you do not have to drill and tap ,the chassis, or add plastic padding for weight ,
as the chassis are balanced for the arm with out the springs it still works, the max being 1 arm at 1,1kg with the arm board ,

pete

33na3rd
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 65
Joined: 21 Nov 2011 20:25

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by 33na3rd » 09 Mar 2019 01:58

gwernaffield wrote:
07 Mar 2019 21:25
thank you i aim to please, it has taken a while to where i am happy with what i have made, and helped to get the very best out of the gyro and orbe, and help others, just cannot get Herbie's stuff here at a sensible cost after they add the post , part of the Affordable (not cheap ) was to keep the cost down where poss, so all the mods accept the pylons have to be just, the pylon cost is down to the machine shop treating every set as one off so the cost is due to them ,
all the owners are happy , the best part is you do not have to drill and tap ,the chassis, or add plastic padding for weight ,
as the chassis are balanced for the arm with out the springs it still works, the max being 1 arm at 1,1kg with the arm board ,

pete
Hi Pete,

I addressed all the items that you mentioned above except for changing the bearings out and using the skateboard wheels. I used the Herbies GrungeBuster material attached to grade 8 washers under the Gyro SE's feet, and made 8mm wide & 3.2mm thick pads for the suspension shaft.

I wasn't really ready to hear the noise level drop as much as it did! Bravo! More low level detail information! I am impressed!

These changes made the table a bit higher, so I had to put a coaster with more GrungeBuster on it under the motor pod to make up for it.

I measured all the suspension parts while I had the table apart, so be prepared for an email regarding your pylons!

Thanks again,
Jeff

gwernaffield
member
member
Posts: 63
Joined: 29 Aug 2012 19:40
Location: wales

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by gwernaffield » 09 Mar 2019 16:25

hi jeff just pm me on here

Schlep
member
member
Posts: 27
Joined: 08 Feb 2016 17:03

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by Schlep » 12 Mar 2019 22:28

Cheap is good, but Free is better : )

If not already done, meticulous setup confirming levelness, cable 'hang' / the bounce. Adjust the distance 1-2mm between perspex and aluminum base. . . subtle adjustments make a slight tonal difference.

Confirm the arm parameters and cart tracking are in good order. Also, regarding arm (I use an SME 309), tightening / loosening screws (from headshell screws to counterweight and base screws) effects tone. Over tightening can make the Gyro sound a bit dead.

Make sure motor speed is correct (I use an app called RPM which allows me to sit my cell phone on the platter to confirm speed is correct).

Get belt as level as possible using the lowest of 3 belt positions on the platter -and- an adjustment of motor spindle height (there is a hex bolt on there if you haven't noticed - I didn't for a good long while).

YMMV, but I always keep all of the above in mind when I revisit my Gyro setup. There is a bit of 'art' to it. Key is listening when you make adjustments and understanding how they translate into Gyro performance.

A lot of this is basic set-up and covered in the angelfire website. Some of it is not.

watchnerd
senior member
senior member
Posts: 552
Joined: 11 May 2014 19:09
Location: Seattle

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by watchnerd » 13 Mar 2019 09:59

Does anyone know the bolt size (M-spec) of the Gyro SE feet?

gwernaffield
member
member
Posts: 63
Joined: 29 Aug 2012 19:40
Location: wales

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by gwernaffield » 13 Mar 2019 17:31

the problem with free is they will not work , the gyro is easy to set up , with the mods, but you cannot have every thing
your own way the Cheap part is easy , but then you can have the Foo part which will require string ,
the Gyro using the pylons is easy to set up and stays set up

the answer for the feet is there is a 1/2 bsf thread to the out side and a m6 to the inner

watchnerd
senior member
senior member
Posts: 552
Joined: 11 May 2014 19:09
Location: Seattle

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by watchnerd » 13 Mar 2019 17:35

gwernaffield wrote:
13 Mar 2019 17:31

the answer for the feet is there is a 1/2 bsf thread to the out side and a m6 to the inner
I use Iso Acoustics Gaia isolation feet under my speakers.

I'm wondering if I could fit the model III feet in place of the Gyro SE feet:

http://www.isoacoustics.com/products/ga ... /gaia-iii/

gwernaffield
member
member
Posts: 63
Joined: 29 Aug 2012 19:40
Location: wales

Re: Cheap upgrades for Michell Gyro

Post by gwernaffield » 13 Mar 2019 18:04

hi the problem arrases that the tube at the top of the foot unscrews ,the outer being 1/2 bsf , the inner thread is used to hold the suspension , on , as it comes through the perspex base/spider , it would only work if the other feet are 1/2BSF
or you get an adapter made with the same thread on as the feet you are going to use, we cheated and used skate board wheels and rubber insert you can find the details on art of sound /strokes of genius /cheap up grades for michell gyro
it will show you on there ,
with regards to the title cheap upgrades for Michell gyro , well i disagree that cheap is not good may be affordable should of been used , so if i put a ceramic bearing at £20 and one at 3.50 would the OP buy the £20 one and then waffle on how good the £20 one is against the cheaper one at £3.50 , when they are from the same batch of bearings made from the same stuff, the reason you have to double check the settings on the gyro is the spring moves , the feet will move every time you change a LP , the spring works on a cam , to center the motor , that is all so spending hours trying to center the motor and getting the correct belt tightness is the destroyed when you have played the first LP and you move the deck taking the Clamp off ,
so after 20 mins of listening will the OP then reset the deck with twisting the springs,,, ???
The Cheap up grades was born out of frustration, the cost of 5ml of oil being £7and it is bloody mobil 1 fully synth ,0-40w hell a liter is £12, and then the belt will not stay tight because the deck chassis is constantly trying to move away from the bearing , not helped, with the feet not wanting to say in the same spot ,
so in this case Cheap is not being ripped off , a plastic spacer is £70 but get one made at £15 , so if you have money to burn do not say cheap is NOT Good,

Post Reply