Page 1 of 1

Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 16 Jun 2018 22:35
by Alexanderlivy666
Has anyone noticed any benefit from using a platter mat on a Gyro SE ?

Re: Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 19 Jun 2018 06:53
by Logan
I tried about 5 different specialised mats on my Gyro SE. All had proved to be beneficial on my earlier AR (The Turntable). Particularly Herbies "Way Excellent II" mat, which afforded exceptional improvement. In all cases arm height was adjusted accordingly.

To my elderly ears none came anywhere near the standard of the unadorned Gyro platter. So it remains unadorned, since I've run out of acquaintances who'll lend me their mat for a trial.

Re: Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 26 Jun 2018 11:03
by Tarzan
Alexanderlivy666 wrote:Has anyone noticed any benefit from using a platter mat on a Gyro SE ?
Save your hard earned money, and purchase the Orbe clamp upgrade- on my Gyro a BIG improvement in sound, to the point l would say good VFM. :mrgreen:

Re: Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 26 Jun 2018 13:16
by GyroSE
Tarzan wrote:
Alexanderlivy666 wrote:Has anyone noticed any benefit from using a platter mat on a Gyro SE ?
Save your hard earned money, and purchase the Orbe clamp upgrade- on my Gyro a BIG improvement in sound, to the point l would say good VFM. :mrgreen:
=D>
Yeah, it's an essential upgrade that really makes a difference.

Re: Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 03 Sep 2018 16:12
by watchnerd
Tarzan wrote:
Alexanderlivy666 wrote:Has anyone noticed any benefit from using a platter mat on a Gyro SE ?
Save your hard earned money, and purchase the Orbe clamp upgrade- on my Gyro a BIG improvement in sound, to the point l would say good VFM. :mrgreen:
I usually consider big changes in sound to be in the realm of changing cartridges.

Is the clamp as big a change in sound as swapping a cartridge?

Re: Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 10 Sep 2018 12:53
by tketcham
Hi, watchnerd,

I didn't find the Orbe clamp upgrade to be as noticeable as a big upgrade in cartridges, but the ability to easily adjust the down force on the record does Help to fine tune the damping of vibration energy. It's generally a subtle improvement but noticeable nonetheless. At least with my setup.

I also like that you don't have to force the suspension springs down when you torque the Orbe clamp. With the stock clamp you have to apply a fair amount of down force and that can't be good for the springs over time.

I consider the Orbe clamp upgrade to be worth the cost, especially when you think of it in terms of cost per record play. If you keep your Gyro SE for 10 years it amounts to pennies per play. Well worth it. :)

Regards,
Tom

Re: Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 10 Sep 2018 14:48
by watchnerd
tketcham wrote:Hi, watchnerd,

I didn't find the Orbe clamp upgrade to be as noticeable as a big upgrade in cartridges, but the ability to easily adjust the down force on the record does Help to fine tune the damping of vibration energy. It's generally a subtle improvement but noticeable nonetheless. At least with my setup.

I also like that you don't have to force the suspension springs down when you torque the Orbe clamp. With the stock clamp you have to apply a fair amount of down force and that can't be good for the springs over time.

I consider the Orbe clamp upgrade to be worth the cost, especially when you think of it in terms of cost per record play. If you keep your Gyro SE for 10 years it amounts to pennies per play. Well worth it. :)

Regards,
Tom
Thanks.

How do you remove the original smooth spindle from the bearing to stick in the screwed spindle? My spindle seems non-removable.

Re: Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 10 Sep 2018 15:08
by tketcham
The Orbe clamp kit includes a replacement (threaded) spindle, that's why the clamp kit costs more than just a clamp.

Tom

Re: Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 10 Sep 2018 15:10
by watchnerd
tketcham wrote:The Orbe clamp kit includes a replacement (threaded) spindle, that's why the clamp kit costs more than just a clamp.

Tom
Right, I get that....what I don't get is how you get the threaded spindle on the bearing.

If I remove the bearing, my smooth spindle seems permanently attached to the bearing. The spindle doesn't seem removable.

Re: Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 10 Sep 2018 15:49
by joem60
The smooth spindle screws into the bearing turn it anti-clockwise to remove it.

Re: Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 10 Sep 2018 15:55
by watchnerd
joem60 wrote:The smooth spindle screws into the bearing turn it anti-clockwise to remove it.
Thanks, I'll try that.

It seemed stuck, so I may need a vise or something.

Re: Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 10 Sep 2018 16:13
by joem60
I managed to remove my spindle with pliers, best to wrap some tape round the spindle to protect it from damage and when fitting the new one

Re: Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 18 Sep 2018 22:50
by Schlep
One of the reasons i settled on a Gyro was the Delrin platter. . . I buy into the idea that energy transfer is greatest when both surfaces are the same or similar (Delrin being similar to vinyl).

That said, I am considering (but have not done so) using a mat for LPs that do not contact the edge of the platter (even with the clamp).

Re: Platter mat on Gyro SE ?

Posted: 23 Sep 2018 08:34
by Tarzan
joem60 wrote:I managed to remove my spindle with pliers, best to wrap some tape round the spindle to protect it from damage and when fitting the new one
How are you getting along with your new clamp? :D