Changing springs on Michell Mycro

a space odyssey
R52

Changing springs on Michell Mycro

Post by R52 » 26 Apr 2018 07:23

Hi, I've decided to give my Mycro a new set of springs as part of a thorough service. Does anyone know how I go about this, are there any tips on how to get the balance right once done too?

R52

Re: Changing springs on Michell Mycro

Post by R52 » 29 Apr 2018 00:46

So I've changed the springs, it was a little fiddly getting them housed properly. They sort of screw in to the top of the spikes. One thing worth noting is that the 3 springs are not all the same size. The left-hand spring is notably shorter. You'll easily know if you fit than incorrectly.

The new springs were definitely tighter than the old ones and the platter is noticeably sitting higher and more stable. I've no idea how long the old springs were on for as I bought the deck used some 4 or 5 years.

It was definitely worth it, previously the platter was bouncing all over the place and it's far more stable now. It's a simple enough change too, as I said seating the springs is a bit fiddly but not hard or technical - definitely something someone can do at home.

Levelling is simply a case of adjusting the spikes feet of the Mycro.

I purchased my new springs on eBay for £44.99 with free delivery. It might sound expensive for 3 springs but it's worth doing if you've had your Mycro for a while.

Hope this helps anyone considering this piece of maintenance work.

Cossack

Post by Cossack » 18 May 2018 10:24

Hi there

Really interested to read your message as I have a Mycro with very bouncy springs and have been wondering if replacing them would help.

Hopefully you may be able to help me with a few questions..

I am assuming from your post that you are getting much less skipping than previously?

Was there any improvement in sound quality?

Were they "original equipment" or aftermarket?

If you could let me know the supplier that would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

R52

Post by R52 » 18 May 2018 10:45

Hi Cossack

First of all sound quality - impossible to tell because I also changed the cartridge at the same time. I did notice a big improvement in sound quality but I attribute that to the brand new cartridge.

Yes, tracking has improved but again because I changed the cartridge I completely rebalanced the arm and cart and reset the antiskate. That said the TT is now far less susceptible to vibration, it used to jump when anyone walked near it whilst playing...

So the springs I got on eBay from a seller called DECOAUDIO. They cost £45 and are brand new and from Michell. I highly recommend you visit their ebay shop:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/decoaudio?_t ... 7675.l2559

I would recommend doing this, its relatively simple and cheap. If you're seeing a lot of bounce then this will sort it out. That's the same thing that made me decide to change my springs.