Bearing oil replacement

a space odyssey
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Re: Bearing oil replacement

Post by cafe latte » 21 Mar 2018 14:14

hand of ike wrote:I'm still confused....
Ok synthetic does not form varnish like non synthetics do which is why I use synthetic oils. A 30k turntable saying you need synthetic oil is not surprising, mineral oil would not hurt it if changed regularly but synthetic is sensible. When varnish forms it blocks the sintered bronze, not good.. Any alternative oil I would use must be synthetic as I said before..
Chris
Initially I said synthetic motor oil and you said a $30k table using this is not surprising..... synthetic is sensible.

Now we can see that the Mobil One you have been saying is bad is a synthetic motor oil which you said shouldn't be surprising to find in a $30k table and as it's synthetic is sensible.

I want to know if you still are saying the same now you know that the Mobil One in my Gyro SE bearing is a non surprising sensible synthetic....

Is it or not according to you? And if not why not? Because as far as I can see this would fit nicely in both the Gyro SE and the Triangle Art and for which in the Triangle Art you described as not surprising and sensible? I can't see any difference between the synthetic Mobil One oil and the oil I gave in the Triangle Art description.

Sorry this is getting tedious but we may have term confusion here and would just like some clarity as on one hand you are saying Mobil one is bad but on the other that Synthetic Motor Oil is now okay, just so I am understood the Mobil One we have been referring to all along is a Synthetic Motor Oil.
Ok you are crossing wires and I need to go to bed just back from fire brigade training and very tired indeed.. I read your post that this 30k table uses synthetic oil what is not surprising, then reread when you posted again it was motor oil and synthetic. Not mobile one and what oil? If really motor oil not a good plan for reasons stated but synthetic is a good thing at least, if for a car engine it is not. Fed up to repeat myself but people dont understand oil and even companies charging far too much money dont understand either. Forget the price tag of turntables look at the resources of the company. And PLEASE spend some time to read up on oils.
Chris

hand of ike

Post by hand of ike » 21 Mar 2018 14:26

Sleep well... My Dad was in a fire brigade thank you for your time and commitment I admire the fire service.

I am not crossing wires at all.... I stated that it was synthetic motor oil in each instance.

From the first instance you said it was not surprising and sensible. Now you seem to be back tracking a bit...

The guy didn't say anything other than Triangle Art said Synthetic Motor Oil, again this is from a YouTube video which I said before....

I also put as a caveat that it shouldn't matter how much a deck costs etc, so no need to raise that.

As for the Technic's statement that is very dubious to me, technics will have a far different processes and use different materials than these 'Cottage' manufactures - I wouldn't put anything in my player just cos it's worked out for a large company. Saying that is 'almost' like saying Mills and Boon books offer better prose than Charles Dickens because you know there's so many runs of them and everyone has bought them.... so read them instead...

I am not going to put any oil in my turntable that isn't recommended by the manufacturer at this stage, especially since nobody seems to have ever had a problem with it who actually owns one!

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 21 Mar 2018 22:13

hand of ike wrote:Sleep well... My Dad was in a fire brigade thank you for your time and commitment I admire the fire service.

I am not crossing wires at all.... I stated that it was synthetic motor oil in each instance.

From the first instance you said it was not surprising and sensible. Now you seem to be back tracking a bit...

The guy didn't say anything other than Triangle Art said Synthetic Motor Oil, again this is from a YouTube video which I said before....

I also put as a caveat that it shouldn't matter how much a deck costs etc, so no need to raise that.

As for the Technic's statement that is very dubious to me, technics will have a far different processes and use different materials than these 'Cottage' manufactures - I wouldn't put anything in my player just cos it's worked out for a large company. Saying that is 'almost' like saying Mills and Boon books offer better prose than Charles Dickens because you know there's so many runs of them and everyone has bought them.... so read them instead...

I am not going to put any oil in my turntable that isn't recommended by the manufacturer at this stage, especially since nobody seems to have ever had a problem with it who actually owns one!
I was not back tracking I was tired and misread the post, thought we were just talking synthetic.
Re Technics you cant compare to Mills and Boon they are made by a huge company with massive resources. The official oil for years was only Technics oil, when the sl1200 was discontinued it was released that the official oil was Anderol 465, here is a link for that oil specs https://qclubricants.com/anderol/anderol465.htm
You can see they have used an oil specifically for bronze bearings.
Chris

hand of ike

Post by hand of ike » 21 Mar 2018 23:29

Okay Chris, it did sound like you were back tracking tho....

I stand by my Mills and Boon analogy, basically just because a large mass producer of something does it doesn’t mean it’s universally applicable.

I’m going to leave it here and wait to see if Michell give you their answer

GyroSE
Sweden

Post by GyroSE » 22 Mar 2018 07:38

hand of ike wrote:Okay Chris, it did sound like you were back tracking tho....

I stand by my Mills and Boon analogy, basically just because a large mass producer of something does it doesn’t mean it’s universally applicable.

I’m going to leave it here and wait to see if Michell give you their answer
I agree. There is no guarantee that a large scale mass produced turntable is better in this area, the company that is producing such a deck has a massive interest in making as much profit as possible on each sold unit. They of course strive for making the production as cheap as possible per unit and saving money here means that they have to cut somewhere.

Yeah lets wait and see what Michell tell Chris about this issue.

hand of ike

Post by hand of ike » 22 Mar 2018 10:58

I’m going to do something here maybe not often seen in ‘heated’ threads.... first tho I’ll put my take.

This thread started as I’d recently taken my Gyro SE out of storage and I wanted to do a mini service which is where the bearing oil came in. A few kind SE owners chipped in and with a contact to Michell as well I had a new ball, a recommended oil, a VTA adjuster and a weekend of cartridge setup... my Deck sounded great!

Then it went a bit squiffy with some interjections saying that this oil was going to chew our tables up and that Michell were wrong about their own player.... all the SE owners then said well this seems odd as there’s nothing wrong with my bearing after 10, 20+ years. I stand by this I don’t think Michell are wrong I don’t think our bearings are suddenly going to corrupt nore do I feel anything detrimental (about this anyway) is going to happen. Chris and ‘The Doc’ disagree. That’s cool. Chris doesn’t own a SE but does seem to have a passion about oils, ‘The Doc’ at least has a Michell bearing but on a player of his own construction. Again all cool, they both seem to have insight into oil in various situations and at no point has anyone doubted this. That’s their ground, ours (or mine at least) has been one that says unless I can see anything detrimental to have happened to a bearing by following Michell’s advice I’m going to stick with it. I think this is still a sound position, coupled with no reports of bearing wear and Michell’s own engineers saying no harm would be done. I’m satisfied with where I’m at.

What has been detrimental has been something that can happen in any ‘hobby’ (I hate that word as it always seems a bit demeaning) is we all got bogged down in minute detail etc etc and it felt like a drag. I want to enjoy music and equipment and interact with people who share these interests. I don’t want to put a stylus on a record and get annoyed about some thread I’m involved in or get irate about some assumption that’s been made about me (even if indirectly) in a forum. The pleasure you get from a finely tuned system listening to music that really moves you is more than that, and the music at least deserves more than that.

I don’t know what hatchet I need to bury so I’m just going to bury a bunch of them and hope it’s covered - I’m here to make friends. And I’m at my system to be moved by music so I hope I’m not being forward in asking you all to join me, place your stylus on something that counts and let the music win...

Werner
long player
long player

Post by Werner » 23 Mar 2018 16:46

And before John Michell started using Mobil One 0-W-40, he used something from Castrol. But that's a long long time ago.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 23 Mar 2018 21:18

Werner wrote:And before John Michell started using Mobil One 0-W-40, he used something from Castrol. But that's a long long time ago.
Still no email back and still dont understand why he is using a multi grade motor oil, no matter how long he used it for..
Chris

GyroSE
Sweden

Post by GyroSE » 24 Mar 2018 06:43

cafe latte wrote:
Werner wrote:And before John Michell started using Mobil One 0-W-40, he used something from Castrol. But that's a long long time ago.
Still no email back and still dont understand why he is using a multi grade motor oil, no matter how long he used it for..
Chris
Please be patient and wait for Michell to respond...I believe no one wants to add anything now as this discussion is going in circles. Wait and see what they tell you.

blakep

Post by blakep » 24 Mar 2018 23:36

Perhaps Michell will respond but I would not be surprised if they do not.

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 21 Oct 2018 10:39

blakep wrote:
24 Mar 2018 23:36
l find telephoning them is the best mode of contacting them.

Whilst on the matter of bearing oil, just changed (after 3 years :oops: ) my bearing oil with Audioorigami super slippery oil, and experienced a small increase in sound quality, whether is to do with there being low oil or the AO oil l cannot say. :D

blakep

Post by blakep » 31 Oct 2018 21:56

Tarzan wrote:
21 Oct 2018 10:39
blakep wrote:
24 Mar 2018 23:36
l find telephoning them is the best mode of contacting them.

Whilst on the matter of bearing oil, just changed (after 3 years :oops: ) my bearing oil with Audioorigami super slippery oil, and experienced a small increase in sound quality, whether is to do with there being low oil or the AO oil l cannot say. :D
I just ordered some from Johnnie as well so will give it a try shortly.

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 31 Oct 2018 22:20

I almost spit my drink out on that one =D>

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 20 Nov 2018 12:25

hobie1dog wrote:
31 Oct 2018 22:20

I almost spit my drink out on that one =D>
So did l. :mrgreen:

How did you get on BlakeP?

blakep

Post by blakep » 21 Nov 2018 03:54

Has not arrived yet Tarzan. Postal strike in Canada, international deliveries (of which I have a few I am waiting on) have been backing up and piling up without being delivered for weeks now.

Apparently, Canada Post actually sent out notices to 190 countries the other day telling them not to send anything to Canada. Unbelievable. :roll: