HR PSU vs Computer UPS?

a space odyssey
watchnerd

HR PSU vs Computer UPS?

Post by watchnerd » 12 Mar 2018 02:37

In reading about the purpose an features of the 'Never Connected' PSU (BTW, has anyone else noticed that http://www.never-connected.com/ seems to have been dead for a longtime...are they still in biz?), I'm wondering if the functionality can't be similarly provided using a standard computer Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS), which are designed to keep computers up and running via battery in the event of electrical blackout.

And it would certainly be quite a bit cheaper.

I'm sure this is controversial, but I have a hard time justifying $900 for a relatively simple power supply; even if it does make a sonic difference, there would seem to be more cost effective ways to get the same benefit.

jspink

Re: HR PSU vs Computer UPS?

Post by jspink » 12 Mar 2018 17:59

I think I'm right in saying that 'Never Connected' has been acquired by Trichord Research.

http://www.trichordresearch.co.uk/never-connected-psu/

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 12 Mar 2018 19:19

jspink wrote:I think I'm right in saying that 'Never Connected' has been acquired by Trichord Research.

http://www.trichordresearch.co.uk/never-connected-psu/
Interesting!

You'd think they'd put a redirect up from the old site to the new one...

gofar99
United States of America

Post by gofar99 » 12 Mar 2018 22:44

Hi, Money is always an issue. However the two types of supplies are designed to do two different things. The PC ones are designed primarily to handle power outages. Any filtering is secondary. The ones for AV and audio use are designed for filtering out crud from the AC mains and many also will adjust the AC voltage when there is a brown out or over voltage condition. I don't off hand know of any that will actually handle a complete power failure though there may be some. For audio use you can search for something like the APC H10, H15, H1000 and H1500 units. Ones show up all the time in good used condition for attractive prices. New ones and similar units from other companies are also available at varying costs usually depending on the features they have. I personally use the H1500 and find it quite good, I got it off the Bay for $150.

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 12 Mar 2018 23:13

I use two APC 1400 (yeah, I know - overkill) UPS's. One on my desk that provides power to the computer gear as well as the turntable and receiver. The other one is providing power to the home theater system.

Two reasons I would recommend using a UPS:
- It cleans up any transient spikes and dips in the house power
- It allows you time to shut down your gear properly in the event of a power outage

They're also cheaper than some of the designed for audio power systems.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 17 Mar 2018 18:22

Regarding AV-specific power hubs:

Given that the Michell motors are electrically decoupled from the rest of the turntable, I would think grounding and electrical noise wouldn't really matter (at any levels that passes standard EU/USA/JP EMI safety standards). Thus we're left with speed stability / wow & flutter effects as the remaining area.

It seems that computer UPSes wouldn't hurt in this respect, although not sure how much they could help.