Heavy arm on Michell Orbe SE

a space odyssey
donmj

Heavy arm on Michell Orbe SE

Post by donmj » 17 Feb 2018 11:57

I am very keen on buying a Kuzma 4 Point 9 tonearm for my Orbe SE. Only thing that is holding me back is that the Kuzma arm weighs 920g. Will the Orbe's suspension be able to take the weight? Anyone have any experience with heavy arms on the Orbe or Gyro?

GyroSE
Sweden

Re: Heavy arm on Michell Orbe SE

Post by GyroSE » 18 Feb 2018 11:02

donmj wrote:I am very keen on buying a Kuzma 4 Point 9 tonearm for my Orbe SE. Only thing that is holding me back is that the Kuzma arm weighs 920g. Will the Orbe's suspension be able to take the weight? Anyone have any experience with heavy arms on the Orbe or Gyro?
I'm curious about this too. Can Michell manufacture a sturdy light weight armboard in this case? If I were in your clothes I would get in touch with the Michell people directly, they are very helpful and service minded. And please let us know what they tell you. :wink:

Dave W
England

Post by Dave W » 18 Feb 2018 20:38

When I asked Michell the same question, this was the response I got

Good Afternoon David,

Thanks for your e.mail.

The turntable design allows for a nominal 1kg weight for tone arm / armplate combination. We do supply quite a lot of acrylic armplates for arms such as a Graham Phantom which is 1.3 kg alone. The set up still appears to work, you just have to spend longer in adjusting the suspension to keep things level and balanced. Hope this answers your query.

Regards

Steve Rowland.

J.A.Michell Engineering
2 Theobald Street,
Borehamwood,
Hertfordshire,
WD6 4SE

Tel: 020 8953 0771
Fax: 020 8207 4688
Email: info@michell-engineering.co.uk
Web: www.michell-engineering.co.uk

This e-mail contains proprietary information and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it immediately.

donmj

Post by donmj » 24 Feb 2018 04:19

The reply I got from Michell Engineering is that they can supply a lighter acrylic armboard for the Kuzma arm. I would need to provide the mounting details and re-adjust the Orbe's suspension.

I will be working with my Michell dealer who also sells Kuzma equipment on getting a Kuzma 4 Point 9 mounted on my Orbe. This might take awhile.

donmj

Post by donmj » 18 Mar 2018 02:33

I managed to get a Kuzma armboard from Michell through my dealer. The Kuzma 4Point 9 weighs 920g. The suspension is able to take the weight with no issues.

https://s9.postimg.org/ou7rhg40b/835_A8 ... 9_C455.jpg

https://s9.postimg.org/3kk56lvff/98_CA2 ... 4_CCC8.jpg

https://s9.postimg.org/lnd7xtbuj/C2_A43 ... _AAD36.jpg