Advice re upgrading a Gyrodec MkII

a space odyssey
browncow68

Re: Advice re upgrading a Gyrodec MkII

Post by browncow68 » 05 Mar 2018 01:45

Good Monday morning, everyone!

I ended up getting a G3 Silicon Nitride bearing from Boca Bearings as suggested by blakep.
Unfortunately I can't tell you how it sounds cos it's still in a plastic bag on my desk - the inverted bearing upgrade I ordered via the local agent has yet to arrive.
When it does, I will update this thread!

ben

browncow68

Post by browncow68 » 12 Mar 2018 05:47

And the upgrade's complete!!
The kits arrived late last week, but weekends are typically spent with family so not at all ideal to set up hifi.
So I spent the last 2 nights up late and also finally had some time this morning.
Setup was uneventful - the main difficulty was not losing the ball bearings and getting oil all over the floor!
Getting the plinth to bounce freely up and down vertically remains my biggest bugbear - I've never quite figured out a system, so it's mainly trial and error, and contrary to others, I didn't find the new turrets very much easier to tweak compared to the older ones.
But long story short - my Gyro most definitely sounds better after the upgrades (inverted bearing, suspension turrets, and Silicon Nitride ball bearing)!
I think the first description that comes to mind is 'relaxed' - the sound just comes across as easier, more fluid, more easy-going, more at-ease, flows better.
Mind you, I've done a lot of tweaking in the past few weeks while waiting for the upgrade kits to arrive - I've set up a configuration to run my system through 2 different power amps, I rolled some pre-amp tubes, played around with speaker cables and interconnects, changed the phono cable, and also fine-tuned the cartridge alignment setup, and I sure as hell am not going to attempt to ABA test the upgrades by going back to the old bearing and suspension!
And there's no way I can quantify how much improvement is contributed individually by the bearing, the suspension turrets, or the Silicon bearing.
But yes, I'm totally happy with the upgrades collectively, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to fellow Gyrodec owners here!
Thank you everyone, especially blakep, gwernaffield and werner, for your help!
Here's a couple of photos taken this morning...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/CNtw_ ... 00-h600-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xIyjp ... 00-h600-no

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 12 Mar 2018 15:29

browncow68 wrote:Good Monday morning, everyone!

I ended up getting a G3 Silicon Nitride bearing from Boca Bearings as suggested by blakep.
Unfortunately I can't tell you how it sounds cos it's still in a plastic bag on my desk - the inverted bearing upgrade I ordered via the local agent has yet to arrive.
When it does, I will update this thread!

ben
I got the same bearing....also still sitting in a bag!