the home of the turntable

About to buy Gyro SE

a space odyssey

About to buy Gyro SE

Postby jspink » 05 Dec 2017 22:02

Hi All,

As the title says, I'm about to take the plunge and buy the turntable I've always admired and now retirement has given me the means :)

My budget will allow the following:
Michell Gyro SE
Rega RB330 tonearm
Ortofon 2M Bronze (I can't stretch to moving coil just yet, maybe in a couple of years)

The TT will be playing into an Icon Audio PS1-MkII valve phono stage and then Arcam FMJ-A29 amp and finally Q-Acoustic floor standing speakers.

I have a wall mount in place with an isolation plinth (HiFi Racks)

Questions I have ..
1) What extras will I need to order so I can fit the Rega tonearm? From a lot of Googling, am I right in thinking the Gyro doesn't come with armboard as standard and therefore I will need to buy a Rega armboard.
2) Will I also need to buy the VTA adjuster kit for my choice of cartridge?
3) Is the tonearm isolation kit required or just nice to have as an upgrade?
4) Can anyone foresee any problems with the components I have chosen?
5) Is there anything major I have missed?

Thanks in advance for suggestions/comments.
jspink

United Kingdom

Re: About to buy Gyro SE

Postby danielboone » 06 Dec 2017 17:43

Talk to your retailer or give Simon a ring at Stockton riverside .He will know the answers to your questions .Ibought my gyrodec se from him 2-3 yrs ago .
danielboone

United Kingdom

Postby jspink » 07 Dec 2017 11:05

Thanks. I have been in to HiFi Sound in Stockton to ask about it and they were supposed to get back to me with a price but I have not heard from them, a bit disappointing because I have bought from them in the past and they are usually competitive on price, although they did say they couldn't discount the deck at all.

Meanwhile I found a retailer on the internet who was heavily discounting the deck and also the Michell TecnoArm A so I have ordered from them and basically got the deck and a better arm for less than my budget :D. Also I don't need to buy anything else since the deck comes with the correct fitting for the arm.
jspink

United Kingdom

Postby GyroSE » 07 Dec 2017 11:24

jspink wrote:Hi All,

As the title says, I'm about to take the plunge and buy the turntable I've always admired and now retirement has given me the means :)

Michell Gyro SE
Rega RB330 tonearm
Ortofon 2M Bronze (I can't stretch to moving coil just yet, maybe in a couple of years)

The TT will be playing into an Icon Audio PS1-MkII valve phono stage and then Arcam FMJ-A29 amp and finally Q-Acoustic floor standing speakers.

Questions I have ..
1) What extras will I need to order so I can fit the Rega tonearm? From a lot of Googling, am I right in thinking the Gyro doesn't come with armboard as standard and therefore I will need to buy a Rega armboard.

Sounds great that you take the plunge and go for a Gyro SE, sounds like the perfect retirement gift to yourself.

I'll try to answer your questions briefly:

1) I believe the Gyro SE is delivered with an armboard, you only have to tell the dealer which one you want.
2) Yes.
3) A nice upgrade but I prefer the Gert Pedersen GP Armboard Upgrade Kit which IMHO is a better upgrade than Michells own decoupling kit.
4) No problems, I believe it'll sound just great.
5) Get the Michell Record Clamp and directly start saving up for the Orbe Clamp Kit with the screw down clamp. At the same time you should start saving up for the HR PSU as well as this is an essential upgrade IMHO.

Good luck with your new Gyro SE.
GyroSE

Sweden

Postby jspink » 07 Dec 2017 17:24

Thanks for the input GyroSE.

I have now ordered the Gyro SE deck along with the Michell TecnoArm 'A' and a friend of mine has given me a Sumiko Evo moving coil cartridge (high output type) and a Michell record clamp.

The HR PSU is definitely on my radar, it might take a few months to save for it :D
jspink

United Kingdom

Postby fade away » 10 Dec 2017 00:26

jspink wrote:Thanks for the input GyroSE.

I have now ordered the Gyro SE deck along with the Michell TecnoArm 'A' and a friend of mine has given me a Sumiko Evo moving coil cartridge (high output type) and a Michell record clamp.

The HR PSU is definitely on my radar, it might take a few months to save for it :D

You have all you need to enjoy your music from vinyl. Take my advice don’t buy the HR PSU get yourself a dust cover instead. Or for less money if you haven’t already got one buy yourself a Pro-Ject record cleaner. Which will be a greater improvement to your record collection and your Gyro and Sumiko Evo will delight your ears for years to come.
This advice comes from someone who owns a humming HR PSU #-o
fade away

United Kingdom

Postby Tarzan » 10 Dec 2017 09:32

jspink wrote:Hi All,

Michell Gyro SE
Rega RB330 tonearm

Questions I have ..

Congrats on the T/T, it should look/sound very nice on your wallshelf. :mrgreen:
Tarzan

United Kingdom

Postby jspink » 10 Dec 2017 09:57

Thanks for the tips "fade away"
I do have the Pro-ject VCS and will be looking into a dust cover. I know of an internet site that can make them to order and they are quite reasonably priced.
http://www.sora-shop.com/Customized-Products/Custom-Turntable-Cover.html
I will take my time over the PSU, I'm quite handy with a soldering iron and DIY so that may be a possibility for the PSU.
jspink

United Kingdom

Postby GyroSE » 10 Dec 2017 11:11

fade away wrote:

You have all you need to enjoy your music from vinyl. Take my advice don’t buy the HR PSU get yourself a dust cover instead. Or for less money if you haven’t already got one buy yourself a Pro-Ject record cleaner. Which will be a greater improvement to your record collection and your Gyro and Sumiko Evo will delight your ears for years to come.

I've never heard about this problem before, it's supposed to be dead silent. I see that you live in the UK, get in touch with the nice people at Michell Engineering- they'll fix it for you.

IMHO the HR PSU is essential if one wants the most out of the Gyro- when I got my HR PSU and connected it to the turntable the difference soundwise was greater than I had expected.
GyroSE

Sweden

Postby Dubmart » 16 Dec 2017 00:48

GyroSE wrote:IMHO the HR PSU is essential if one wants the most out of the Gyro- when I got my HR PSU and connected it to the turntable the difference soundwise was greater than I had expected.

Totally agree with GyroSE, the HR significantly raises the deck's performance and even at the current price is well worth the cost.

The Gyro SE/Techno Arm is a great combination, I can't bring myself to get rid of mine even though I have greatly more expensive superior decks/arms I can still enjoy it's performance, it's a bargain for what it offers which should give the OP huge enjoyment for years to come.
Dubmart

United Kingdom

Postby Tarzan » 17 Dec 2017 10:18

Dubmart wrote:
GyroSE wrote:IMHO the HR PSU is essential if one wants the most out of the Gyro- when I got my HR PSU and connected it to the turntable the difference soundwise was greater than I had expected.

Totally agree with GyroSE, the HR significantly raises the deck's performance and even at the current price is well worth the cost.

The Gyro SE/Techno Arm is a great combination, I can't bring myself to get rid of mine even though I have greatly more expensive superior decks/arms I can still enjoy it's performance, it's a bargain for what it offers which should give the OP huge enjoyment for years to come.

Same here, maybe because the Gyro is infinitely upgradeable- oh and the spinning weights of course. :mrgreen:
Tarzan

United Kingdom

Postby ehtoo » 26 Dec 2017 23:27

fade away wrote:

Sounds more like a grounding issue.
ehtoo
long player
long player

Canada

Postby GyroSE » 27 Dec 2017 19:14

ehtoo wrote:
fade away wrote:

Sounds more like a grounding issue.

Yes and it's probably quite easy to fix this issue.
GyroSE

Sweden

Postby hedgehog35 » 11 Feb 2018 18:33

Just read this post so I am a bit slow putting in my contribution.
I agree with everything said so far except about hum from HR psu. If the hum is coming from the psu unit (not through your speakers), then it is probably mechanical noise from the toroidal transformer - large transformer in small case. I have this problem and which is due to a rubbish mains supply. I tried DC blocking using ISOL 8 axis which helped a bit.
Eventually got a Power Inspired mains regenerator and noise disappeared completely. Also helped to greatly reduce transformer hum from my Creek Evolution amplifier and improved the overall sound of my system. One of the most cost-effective additions I have ever made to my system.
Hope this helps.
hedgehog35

Scotland

Postby jspink » 27 Feb 2018 12:39

Well, it's here at last! Now I just have to get the shelf on the wall and build it :D

jspink

United Kingdom

Next

Return to Michell