Leaky Gyro bearing?

a space odyssey
seanm

Leaky Gyro bearing?

Post by seanm » 17 Nov 2017 09:53

Hello, I've just defected from the Thorens forum, having bought a Gyro SE. Still tweaking the set up to get the best out of the combination I'm working with (SE, Nima, AT33ev) - so far there's a bit of glare and grain in the highs.

Anyway, the specific inquiry has to do with a leaky bearing: noticed a small puddle of oil on the spider last night. Is this likely to be down to overfilling the well? Does it suggest the bearing isn't screwed on tightly enough?

Thanks.

GyroSE
Sweden

Re: Leaky Gyro bearing?

Post by GyroSE » 17 Nov 2017 20:03

seanm wrote:Hello, I've just defected from the Thorens forum, having bought a Gyro SE. Still tweaking the set up to get the best out of the combination I'm working with (SE, Nima, AT33ev) - so far there's a bit of glare and grain in the highs.

Anyway, the specific inquiry has to do with a leaky bearing: noticed a small puddle of oil on the spider last night. Is this likely to be down to overfilling the well? Does it suggest the bearing isn't screwed on tightly enough?

Thanks.
Please don't worry it sounds like you've been overfilling the well- I've done this mistake myself.

seanm

Post by seanm » 18 Nov 2017 00:16

Thanks Gyro, that's good to hear.

Incidentally I've tamed the glare and most of the grain - I had the loading wrong on the phono stage :oops:.

jazzwessem
Netherlands

Post by jazzwessem » 18 Nov 2017 15:22

Yep, just a bit overfill. No problem at all. Enjoy the Gyrodec (and the music off course:)

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 05 Mar 2018 00:31

GyroSE wrote:
seanm wrote:Hello, I've just defected from the Thorens forum, having bought a Gyro SE. Still tweaking the set up to get the best out of the combination I'm working with (SE, Nima, AT33ev) - so far there's a bit of glare and grain in the highs.

Thanks.
Please don't worry it sounds like you've been overfilling the well- I've done this mistake myself.
How much oil should go in the well? More than just a few drops?

blakep

Post by blakep » 05 Mar 2018 00:54

watchnerd wrote:
GyroSE wrote:

Thanks.
How much oil should go in the well? More than just a few drops?
Approximately 2-3 mm in the bottom of the well. Better too much than too little.