a space odyssey
Tarzan

Re: Solidair Audio Pylons

Post by Tarzan » 21 Nov 2018 15:39

watchnerd wrote:
20 Nov 2018 16:26
tketcham wrote:
20 Nov 2018 15:20
I haven't noticed resonance problems with the spring suspension on my Gyro SE but can see how those metal coils might transfer vibrations to/from the frame. The polymer inserts that hold the springs probably stop some (most?) of those vibrations but the inserts must have a resonance frequency that allows certain vibrations to pass through. What frequency and how much gets transferred is probably unknown unless Michell Engineering has done some testing.

My hunch is that the springs don't pick up or transfer that much vibration and if people have problems with resonance it's due to things other than the springs. Or at least the springs are a small part of the problem. That's my theory anyway. =)

Regards,
Tom

PS: I will note that I use a Gingko Cloud isolation platform under my Gyro SE. I swapped out the stock balls that come with the platform with some Herbie's Grungebuster balls. The Grungebuster balls are smaller in diameter and more dense, so are much more stable (less bouncy) and seem to be better at dampening the frequencies that matter. The result is a platform that isolates the turntable from the stereo rack but doesn't kill the liveliness of the 'table. At least in my listening room to my ears.

Regards,
Tom
If it's really an issue, it's pretty easy and cheap to use some Sorbothane washers.
Actually that sounds like a good idea.

hexxthalion

Post by hexxthalion » 27 Nov 2018 19:41

Tarzan wrote:
20 Nov 2018 13:17
dinogyro wrote:
14 Nov 2018 17:53
This looks interesting, as I have never really liked the springs and never found the perfect bounce!

But if it is just cotton thread, then there is no more suspension? Won't floor vibration go straight to the turntable?
Same here, the springs ring like a cow bell......however the SAA Pylons have no suspension...….

Any further thoughts on The Pylons Hex? :D
Sorry not yet, too busy and weekends either away or some visitors over - but definitely want to compare

blakep

Post by blakep » 27 Nov 2018 22:07

No problem. Report back when you can. Appreciate it.

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 01 Dec 2018 19:59

i have the answer read AOS cheap up grades for michell gyro , -orbe

Werner
long player
long player

Post by Werner » 05 Dec 2018 07:20

Looking at the pictures I am impressed with Peter's (gwernafield) work.

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 05 Dec 2018 13:37

I think I might ask Santa for a set.

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 05 Dec 2018 16:07

they are based around the original engineering points ,there was away to stay inside that which after loads of attempts some realy ugly and some just none starters, a hell of a lot of money ,but then asked to reinvent them with out the use of hooks , i did but it involved grub screws, and slots that took a long time to make,so then i was about to throw the lot in the bin ,but after a large coffee and a brain wave i came up with these, i think i am correct in saying holes are used to machine the casting and every thing else so they must be the datum points for the gyro and orbe the trick is to use them and some thing else, which i have done,
Solidair uses his feet as his is part of the upgrades it will not do what this does,
these keep the chassis stiff,but when you load the LP you will feel the little bounce,
But as i have talked to Miles the owner of solidaraudio i will not rubbish his product,
it is down to your ears to judge them , if you don't like what you hear send them back and i will give every penny back , i cannot say more or less,

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 05 Dec 2018 19:15

gwernaffield wrote:
05 Dec 2018 16:07
they are based around the original engineering points ,there was away to stay inside that which after loads of attempts some realy ugly and some just none starters, a hell of a lot of money ,but then asked to reinvent them with out the use of hooks , i did but it involved grub screws, and slots that took a long time to make,so then i was about to throw the lot in the bin ,but after a large coffee and a brain wave i came up with these, i think i am correct in saying holes are used to machine the casting and every thing else so they must be the datum points for the gyro and orbe the trick is to use them and some thing else, which i have done,
Solidair uses his feet as his is part of the upgrades it will not do what this does,
these keep the chassis stiff,but when you load the LP you will feel the little bounce,
But as i have talked to Miles the owner of solidaraudio i will not rubbish his product,
it is down to your ears to judge them , if you don't like what you hear send them back and i will give every penny back , i cannot say more or less,
You are not having my set back...….

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 09 Dec 2018 15:50

i forgot to add i am not in the HIFI trade , these are made as a hobby , and are intended to get the very best out of there Michell Turntable, i do not do reviews it is upto the user to do that ,if they have a problem i will Help ,as Michell made every TT different , in size of the spring retaining hole which means parts like the pylon replacements have to be made individually for each TT, there is no mass production , it is impossible to do ,they are made as a hobby, and not by a trader selling some thing for a large profit work it out , pylons by solidair are £130 -£140 + the feet £225 -£199, which ever way they will cost you £330 , but the pylon replacement i do is half that , the difference is it is a hobby , and not mass production sent in a bag and not in fancy packing , you only pay the costs of the parts and packing , due to the machining cost being high as a small one off parts,
pete