Lyra Delos / SME 309 / Gyro SE / HR Pwr Supply

a space odyssey
Schlep

Lyra Delos / SME 309 / Gyro SE / HR Pwr Supply

Post by Schlep » 23 Nov 2019 21:35

Hi all -

I am soliciting some opinions regarding the above signal chain.

In terms of 'quality' how does this setup compare to a Rega Planar 10 with Apheta 3 ? or even the RP10 as many have probably not heard the Planar 10 ?

Obviously the Michell sound and Rega sound are different, and I get that, so I am purposely using the word 'quality' rather than specifics about sound comparison.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Currently using the setup in the Subject line, but with an Ortofon Quintet Black S rather than the Lyra Delos. For an additional $1000 I can replace the Gyro with a Rega Planar 10 / Apheta 3. So I have been thinking about this.

Curiosity has gotten the best of me - how competitive (hate to use this word) is a well appointed Gyro with the upper tier Regas ?

thanks

Craig

GyroSE
Sweden

Re: Lyra Delos / SME 309 / Gyro SE / HR Pwr Supply

Post by GyroSE » 25 Nov 2019 09:48

Schlep wrote:
23 Nov 2019 21:35
Hi all -

I am soliciting some opinions regarding the above signal chain.

In terms of 'quality' how does this setup compare to a Rega Planar 10 with Apheta 3 ? or even the RP10 as many have probably not heard the Planar 10 ?

Obviously the Michell sound and Rega sound are different, and I get that, so I am purposely using the word 'quality' rather than specifics about sound comparison.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Currently using the setup in the Subject line, but with an Ortofon Quintet Black S rather than the Lyra Delos. For an additional $1000 I can replace the Gyro with a Rega Planar 10 / Apheta 3. So I have been thinking about this.

Curiosity has gotten the best of me - how competitive (hate to use this word) is a well appointed Gyro with the upper tier Regas ?

thanks

Craig
Hi Craig,

Keep the setup you've. The Rega P10 is IMHO different but not necessarily better sounding than the Gyro SE/SME 309 combo you've now. My advice is that you keep the Gyro SE/SME 309 and go for a good sounding MC cart instead. I would suggest any of the Benz Micro carts like the Wood- the synergy between the Michell decks, SME tonerarms and Benz Micro carts is truly something special.