the home of the turntable

Systemdek 1

roman around

Systemdek 1

Postby dottyvinyl » 22 Oct 2017 01:26

Hi, I'm new to the forum and wonder if anyone can point me at spares for my 1979 Systemdek 1:

First the grub screw (and whatever sat below it - pin & spring maybe??) on the tonearm weight is missing. I still have the allen key, so I guess it its an allen keyed component. Does anyone know if this tiny component is available to buy? If possible I'd rather fix the original tonearm than buy a new one.

Next, I think I should replace the drive belt. Its the original and I'll bet its perished. Could anyone recommend a vendor/make that'd do the dek justice?

Finally, it has an old AT95E Cartridge. I'd value opinion on a sub £200 replacement that would optimise this venerable dek.

Any help gratefully received, thank you, Simon
Attachments
IMG_0001.JPG
The tonearm weight
dottyvinyl

United Kingdom

Re: Systemdek 1

Postby Alec124c41 » 22 Oct 2017 04:44

Screws are generic, but small ones might be hard to find. Try a hobby shop.
What is an Ortofon 2M Blue going for over there?

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby dottyvinyl » 22 Oct 2017 19:48

Alec, many thanks for the 2M Blue suggestion - £185 looks about right!

I've measured the thread of the screw - M4 0.7, so very generic and easily obtained. The possible issue is that it looks like there might have been another component below it because the bottom of the hole has a very reduced diameter. Or maybe the original grub was 'waisted' to a cylindrical pin to engage in the helical thread. No sure but will try a pointed grub and see! Thanks again, Simon
dottyvinyl

United Kingdom

Postby Geoff123456 » 23 Oct 2017 21:53

Hi Simon, I can suggest two potential UK sources for more information and a replacement drive belt. Origin Live is a relatively small business which operates from just outside Southampton and in my opinion is a source well worth considering for drive belts, platter mats, oil, motor or arm upgrades etc. Last year I had my Systemdek IIX serviced and fully overhauled by Hi-Fi Hangar at Borden, Hants. I was delighted with the result, which included the fitting of a new Jelco 750 arm and Denon 110 cartridge. I am pleased to report that my Systemdek now sounds great.
Geoff123456

United Kingdom

Postby dottyvinyl » 25 Oct 2017 19:45

Hi Geoff, Many thanks. I live near S'Ton and Bordon so very helpful. Thank you!
dottyvinyl

United Kingdom

Postby Geoff123456 » 25 Oct 2017 20:54

Good luck Simon, I'd be delighted to hear how you get on if you do try your luck with the two I've suggested. Steve at Hi-Fi Hangar is a real enthusiast and was a great source of help when I was trying to get my Systemdek sorted. I had been thinking about selling it and upgrading to a new deck, but he convinced me that a general overhaul, plus new arm and cartridge would produce something special and way beyond anything new of comparable cost. He was right!
Geoff123456

United Kingdom

Return to Systemdek