Systemdek IIX belt problem

roman around
larz33

Systemdek IIX belt problem

Post by larz33 » 29 Jul 2008 18:17

Hello folks. This is my first post and I have a bit of a problem. Just acquired a Systemdek IIX. Unfortunately the belt slips off and under the turntable wheel when set to 45rpm. What could be the problem? Thanks.

markcass
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by markcass » 29 Jul 2008 18:28

Hi,

Although I've never owned a IIX, I had a II (the round one) until recently. It sounds to me as though the suspension is not set correctly. Either the inner wheel (or sub-platter) is riding too high with respect to the pulley, or the suspension is simply not level. Either could cause the belt to slip off when it's running in the 45 rpm groove, as it's the lower one.

With the glass platter fitted, there should be a 5 mm gap between the bottom surface and the top of the plinth. This gives the correct height. You can adjust this using the 3 hex-head bolts outside the circumference of the platter, and these also enable you to level the suspension. See the manual, available here in the Library, if it didn't come with your deck.

HTH,

Mark

larz33

Post by larz33 » 29 Jul 2008 18:57

Superb, Mark. Thanks for the swift response. I've had to settle for around 4mm instead of 5 though, but, I can now enjoy my 45s on this deck.
Cheers

wobbleu

Post by wobbleu » 30 Jul 2008 23:07

Larz
If you look at the top of the plinth in the rear left corner - you'll see 2 screw heads (these hold the motor frame in place) - between the two screws and bit more to the back there's a hole in the top-plate. Inside that is a grub screw which can be adjusted to set the angle of the motor assembly - if you adjust that you'll get the belt running true without affecting the 5mm gap.

You might find it easier to loosen the motor frame screws 1/2 a turn before you adjust it - and then tighten them up when it's set right.

It can be done with the platter in place too....

Adjust the suspension on a TT from the bottom ? whose stupid idea was that then? some TT designers get it right :D

regards C

audioorigami
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by audioorigami » 31 Jul 2008 22:07

yea big thumbs up to systemdek (now art speakers) for there design

welcome to the forum larz33

best wishes
j7

Sid_and_Coke

Post by Sid_and_Coke » 19 Aug 2008 15:34

You might also like to consider lightly dusting the belt with some french chalk after first cleaning it.
This may sound a little strange, but if the belt is too 'grippy' it can often get thrown off during start-up , especially at 45 rpm. it needs a little bit of slip, as soon as the platter is up to speed though the flywheel effect maintains speed and the belt dosn't slip.
iirc the official Systemdek instruction manual mentioned this, (it isn't something i just made up :) ) ....

Linn get over this problem by having the belt slip down to a smaller diameter on the pulley at statrt up, then as the speed slowly increases, the belt rides up the pulley to the pre-set position.

Umberto Vanni

Post by Umberto Vanni » 20 Aug 2008 07:00

My Systemedek used to do that aswell. I never really played 45s so i just left it. I think wobbleu's suggestion would work.

gerlando

Re: Systemdek IIX belt problem

Post by gerlando » 15 Oct 2019 18:08

Hello there,
sorry, I have just acquired a Systemdek IIX 900 with Audio Note acrylic platter upgrade.

Unfortunately the belt slips off and under the turntable wheel when set to 45rpm.

I have tried to adjust the suspension bolts for lowering the platter, with no results. With the platter on its lower limit, the belt is coming off from the lower side of the sub-platter.

Maybe this can be due to the larger thickness of the AN platter? Or maybe the AN platter is lighter than the original one?

I also tried to adjust the bolt for setting the angle of the motor assembly, but I didn't notice any significant improvement.

The platter starts to turn at 45 rpm, then after few seconds begins to swing, then it stops (belt fell off).

Could anyone help me please?

Many thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Mauro

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 15 Oct 2019 19:57

How old is the belt? The belt slipping off at 45rpm may just mean it's new belt time.

Regards,
JaS

gerlando

Post by gerlando » 16 Oct 2019 09:46

The previous owner told me the belt was changed recently.

However, just to be sure, I will order a new one.

gerlando

Post by gerlando » 16 Oct 2019 10:06

It would be possible to use an external power supply 33/45 as in some Rega deck or Linn Lingo, without changing the belt manually?

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 17 Oct 2019 07:18

I have a IIXe with the external PSU and you switch it left or right for 33/45. Middle position is off. See if you can find one and check the motor pulley.

I don't think it would be impossible, just finding parts might be difficult.

journeymanj

Post by journeymanj » 17 Oct 2019 23:55

It sounds like the suspension is out of adjustment, with the difference in weight of the A/N platter, the sub-platter belt surface is at the wrong height in relation to the pulley. Have a play with the 3 height adjustment screws, this will sort it in my experience, I have a A/N platter on a IIX and had a similar problem. My belts the same one as when it was new and gives no problems at all. Unlike my crappy Rega Planar 3 which needs a new belt every few years.
The motor angle screw changes, the speed slightly if You have the alloy pulley which tapers slightly so has a variable effective diameter depending on which part the belts running on. The later black plastic pulleys Im not sure about.

misterdonlucas
England

Post by misterdonlucas » 04 Nov 2019 12:18

Dear friends -

I too have a systemdek II which all too suddenly began showing the same problems (the belt slipping from 45 to 33 or completely undoing itself and going under the platter)

I feel replies already given on here to others experiencing the same are probably the solution to my very own problem but i cannot help wondering if i have damaged the unit

My Systemdek has been running great.
Two things happened before the belt problems began 

1) I moved the unit a bit abruptly , from one place to another (without the platter on) It rests on a little cart with wheels which i roll over to near the stereo , as my phono cables are short. But i lifted it a bit to go over the carpet edge,  and maybe landed it a bit too hard. 
2) i proceeded to put on a record for which the spindle hole in the centre was too tight , so i pressed it in and down - not too carelessly but some pressure was applied.

Right then, the whole thing went wrong.Please allow me to ask:

a) Which of these two procedures is likely to have been the culprit and what is likely to have happened? 

b) is the damage permanent? something which warrants me being sad about it? - i love records - they are my life.

c) How do i ensure i don't do anything that will alter the speed? 

d) Would any of you kind selves know how to get hold of a manual?

I thought these things were far sturdier than vulnerable to a slight jolt or pressure. When i bought it i brought it home without the platter, and what seemed the wrong-size immobilizing screws, and even though i had it on my legs during the one hour taxi ride there was inevitably rocking and swaying in the car, thankfully to no consequence. 

As additional info ill mention - i always remove the platter when not in use- It just makes me feel i am lengthening the life of the unit. When i removed the platter after the above incidents where one usually feels the upwards force of the spring, ever so subtly aiding the withdrawing of it , this time it didn't feel as spring-y as before .... but don't let this bias your judgement - it is just additional info.

Thanks so much!

markcass
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by markcass » 04 Nov 2019 19:06

misterdonlucas wrote:
04 Nov 2019 12:18
Dear friends -

I too have a systemdek II which all too suddenly began showing the same problems (the belt slipping from 45 to 33 or completely undoing itself and going under the platter)

I feel replies already given on here to others experiencing the same are probably the solution to my very own problem but i cannot help wondering if i have damaged the unit

My Systemdek has been running great.
Two things happened before the belt problems began 

1) I moved the unit a bit abruptly , from one place to another (without the platter on) It rests on a little cart with wheels which i roll over to near the stereo , as my phono cables are short. But i lifted it a bit to go over the carpet edge,  and maybe landed it a bit too hard. 
2) i proceeded to put on a record for which the spindle hole in the centre was too tight , so i pressed it in and down - not too carelessly but some pressure was applied.

Right then, the whole thing went wrong.Please allow me to ask:

a) Which of these two procedures is likely to have been the culprit and what is likely to have happened? 

b) is the damage permanent? something which warrants me being sad about it? - i love records - they are my life.

c) How do i ensure i don't do anything that will alter the speed? 

d) Would any of you kind selves know how to get hold of a manual?

I thought these things were far sturdier than vulnerable to a slight jolt or pressure. When i bought it i brought it home without the platter, and what seemed the wrong-size immobilizing screws, and even though i had it on my legs during the one hour taxi ride there was inevitably rocking and swaying in the car, thankfully to no consequence. 

As additional info ill mention - i always remove the platter when not in use- It just makes me feel i am lengthening the life of the unit. When i removed the platter after the above incidents where one usually feels the upwards force of the spring, ever so subtly aiding the withdrawing of it , this time it didn't feel as spring-y as before .... but don't let this bias your judgement - it is just additional info.

Thanks so much!
Hi

My Systemdek II went through several house moves and was then sold to a friend and moved to his place by car, where it worked fine. He and his wife then moved to another part of the country and took the system with them. When set up again in their cottage, it still worked fine, so these decks are fairly robust. It was over 25 years old by then, maybe even 30 years old!

I therefore don't think that the manoeuvres you describe can have done any serious damage. I sometimes found LPs were a tight fit on the spindle and had to use a bit of force to get them to sit on the platter, or to remove them. The suspension settings are designed to remain stable, provided the deck's platter is taken off when it is moved. I suggest you check the set-up as described further up the thread. The manual is in the Library under "Systemdek", and basically gives the same instructions. Important: please make sure the plinth itself is level. If the deck is tilted, this could cause the problems you describe. It would also be impossible to adjust the suspension correctly.

Two other things you can do in relation to the belt problem: make sure the motor pulley and the sub-platter are clean of any grease or dirt, and clean the belt itself. Alcohol-based cleaner will do for the first two, but is best kept off the belt. I always ran the belt through a little silicone furniture polish on a paper towel, which I then used to wipe off any excess. If that doesn't help, maybe you need a new belt.

Finally, I do think you would be wise to find some way of positioning the deck permanently near your phono stage. Trundling it about the room is not a good idea!

HTH

Mark
Last edited by markcass on 04 Nov 2019 19:33, edited 1 time in total.