systemdek transcription

roman around
keengo
Scotland

systemdek transcription

Post by keengo » 24 Apr 2019 22:58

hi all and its nice to be here as just joined,seems a lot of knowledge here!
anyway my topic is a systemdek transcription table in which ive just purchased. first question ive put platter on it seems to be leaning more to left and touching the plinth,how do I adjust this? do I use the four screws in the plinth or do I adjust using the 3 springs? also it comes in a Nextel ceramic kind of coating,did systemdek do these or did these in different finishes as I believe theres a suede or velvet finish but mine seems more ceramic,any help would be greatly appreciated

cre009
England

Re: systemdek transcription

Post by cre009 » 25 Apr 2019 08:43

I will be interested in any replies.

On mine the platter and arm board move to the right and I have to be very careful in adjusting the springs to avoid the armboard knocking on the top plate. The adjustment is made by the suspension screws in the top plate but after adjusting the position of the sub chassis the whole thing moves/sways to the right as soon as the platter is replaced.

I suspect the issue is caused by the very compliant springs which make the suspension very bouncy but result in the progressive swaying/toppling of the sub chassis over time. My expectation is I will need to dismantle the deck and swap the existing springs around to get the whole thing more central. Replacing the springs with for example those used for LP12s would stiffen the deck suspension but would depart from the original design.

See here for reviews of the deck. I believe there were different finishes. Mine is the common grey. The Systemdek III is an "upgraded" version of the original transcription.

viewforum.php?f=67

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 25 Apr 2019 14:25

You can find the owner's manual here: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sys ... tion.shtml
You need to adjust the spring suspension properly. Watch the orientation of the springs. IIRC the bottom end of each spring should be toward the spindle, to get a vertical bounce.

Cheers,
Alec

cre009
England

Post by cre009 » 26 Apr 2019 14:09

Alec - these decks use cross head bolts to allow the suspension to be levelled from above. These bolts screw through the top plate and terminate by screwing into the metal bottom plate. The springs are probably factory set. The only way to get access to the spring orientation as far as I can tell is to dismantle the suspension by unscrewing the bolts in order to remove the bottom plate and then re-assembling in the hope that any revision will resolve the problem once the deck is reassembled.

I got my deck out today to check. I think there are at least 3 possibilities that could cause the issue.

1. The bolts have bent.
2. The bolts are not locating correctly through the top plate, sub chassis and into the bottom plate
3. The action of the springs is causing the tilt.

The platter is very heavy which will lead to pressure and stress over time so all 3 are possibilities.

On mine I think it is action of the springs that is the issue rather than the bolts. With careful adjustment to level the platter I can get about 1.5mm clearance between the arm board and the top plate on the right side of the arm board but this leaves several mm clearance on the left. The deck is very bouncy and the bounce is reasonably vertical.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 26 Apr 2019 21:32

Direct experience of a specific item is always the most helpful, and cre009 has it.

Cheers,

cre009
England

Post by cre009 » 27 Apr 2019 13:27

Alec - my experience is still limited because I have not got as far as dismantling this deck. Not sure if the access to the suspension springs for servicing should be via the top or the bottom.

I have had a frustrating morning working on the deck. For the OPs benefit some other factors that may come into play are arm weight, the arm cable dressing and belt tension. I have been spending some time on the arm cable by applying various tweaks and adjustments to try to pull the arm board away from the plinth on the right a little but usually end up snagging at the rear. The tweaks so far have also interfered with the bounce. However the OP should check the arm on his is floating relatively free of tension from the cable.

The manual says there should be 4 to 5 mm clearance between platter bottom and plinth for correct belt tension.

totem
Canada

Post by totem » 27 Apr 2019 18:01

Have the springs become fatigued and no longer retain Oem specifications.