Recommended Cartridge for a Systemdek IIX

roman around
the_record_spot

Recommended Cartridge for a Systemdek IIX

Post by the_record_spot » 12 Dec 2007 11:46

Hi,

I picked up a Systemdek-IIX on Ebay the other day and wondered what might be a good cartridge to go with it? The budget is small - probably no more than £100 and I've heard some very good things about the Denon 103 and 110 catridges. Can the 110 be used on a MM only amp? Likewise Goldring's 1012GX.

I like an open, fast and detailed sound; the amp it's partnered with is a Marantz PM6010-Ki Signature (which I think is MM only, hence my query above) and speakers are Mission 733i floorstanders.

Any advice much appreciated.

Wulf

Post by Wulf » 12 Dec 2007 12:08

I'd go with the Goldring - great carts the 10xx series AND you can upgrade by swapping the stylus for a higher one, the generator body is the same. I used a 1042 for over 2 years and it always pleased me, till a dealer friend offered me a whopping £85 trade-in against a Cartridge Man Music Maker 3 (which I still have, won't think about changing this now unless I plump for the Classic).

Watch out when fixing the screws on these Goldrings, the body is a material called Pocan which as I understand it is a kind of resin composite stuff - it's stiff and brittle and overtightening the mounting screws can crack the lugs.

This material is similar in fact to that of an Ortofon MC3000 (another delicious bit of kit btw but it has a VERY low output and needs a correctly-matched MC stage or head amp/transformer to really shine)

Post by Guest » 12 Dec 2007 13:58

Hi, What arm is on the IIX ?

the_record_spot

Post by the_record_spot » 12 Dec 2007 17:38

sreten wrote:Hi, What arm is on the IIX ?
Not sure as the seller didn't specify, however, depending on how good/bad it is, I might lift the RB300 from my P3 and drop it on there instead.

the_record_spot

Post by the_record_spot » 12 Dec 2007 17:44

Quickies from my side.

IMHO G1042 is a notably better cart than the 1012 - check out my web page for a back to back comparison.

Although it has it's merits, I don't think the 1012 is a sub £100 best buy.

If it is a
an open, fast and detailed sound

you're after Mr. Spot, then I'd heartily recommend the AT 440MLa (again you can hear this on my web page) - maybe a little bright but it will tick all of your boxes.
Thanks for the tips Dave, all good stuff.

Downsides - alas - are that the 1042 is also around £140 and although the 1012 is over £100, at £110 or so, I can absorb that if I get Mrs.record_spot's buy in - or at least suggest I put about 50% towards my preferred Christmas present...!

I hadn't thought of the AT, so it might be worth eyeballing that range too.

Post by Guest » 13 Dec 2007 10:19

the_record_spot wrote:
sreten wrote:Hi, What arm is on the IIX ?
Not sure as the seller didn't specify, however, depending on how good/bad it is, I might lift the RB300 from my P3 and drop it on there instead.
Hi,

FWIW the DL110 is supposed to be a good match to the RB300.
My IIX has an RB250 with a Ortofon MC15SmkII (fine line).

the_record_spot

Post by the_record_spot » 18 Dec 2007 20:43

The deck's arrived, but so much for "excellent condition"....! That said, it's still usable, works (although not listened to it yet through the hifi).

The arm: looks like a Rega or Rega-clone. I'll post pictures later, but it looks like it has some green plastic plastic mouldings on the counterweight at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions.

The cartridge is an Audio Technica AT-F3-OCC Moving Coil which I know nothing of. No stylus however (not a problem). Any idea of price point for this one?

Am very tempted to lift the RB300 from the P3 I own and apply it here; not sure though and will need to listen and compare carefully.

So giys, any suggestions, especially re: the cartridge....?!

the_record_spot

Post by the_record_spot » 18 Dec 2007 20:57

One other thing; I don't see anything on the site or the manual, but should the Sdek have an earth wire? There's a connection (it seems) for one but the wire itself isn't attached.

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 18 Dec 2007 21:15

the_record_spot wrote:One other thing; I don't see anything on the site or the manual, but should the Sdek have an earth wire? There's a connection (it seems) for one but the wire itself isn't attached.
Hi,
Rega use one of the cartridge ground leads as an earth for the arm but it's worthwhile trying a connection from the deck earth (it should be attached to the sub-chassis) to your amp earth post too.
The cartridge is an Audio Technica AT-F3-OCC Moving Coil which I know nothing of. No stylus however (not a problem). Any idea of price point for this one?
I think these where around £80 back in the late 80's? A bit of a bargain at the time :roll:

Regards,
JaS

the_record_spot

Post by the_record_spot » 18 Dec 2007 21:26

Thanks Jas, do you know if it's still possible to buy replacement styli for the AT? Not sure I would, but worth considering against the other cartridge options.

Also, the earthing, does this attach to the plate where the arm sits or to the chassis housing the platter bearing?

(Excuse my ignorance!)

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 18 Dec 2007 22:04

Hi,
Being a MC cartridge your only choice is exchange for another Audio Technica MC or a retip (both expensive). They where good value new but I'm not sure a retip would be cost effective :-k

As for the internal earth wire, in this case I'd take it to the metal sub-chassis that houses the bearing.

Regards,
JaS

the_record_spot

Post by the_record_spot » 18 Dec 2007 23:52

Sorry for all the questions, but would you (or anyone) know much about the serial numbers? The first two digits are 88. Does this denote year of production?

Also, the tonearm mounting plate is the teardrop shape, as opposed to the later rectangular plate found on more recent versions and the Audio Note TT1.

This is the black ash version; does this buff up well? It looks a little tired currently although not too bad.

Again, apologies for all the many questions!

Post by Guest » 19 Dec 2007 11:07

Hi,

The green bits indicate it is a Moth RB250. You could simply swap the arm
stub and counterweights for allegedly the best combination of the two but
you would need a scale to set tracking force.

Teardrop cutout, OK. MDF or damped plastic subplatter ? MDF more recent.

The cartridge is a goner, the stylus is not replaceable. ATF3 was very good.

beatconnections

Re: Recommended Cartridge for a Systemdek IIX

Post by beatconnections » 15 Apr 2019 13:44

In my Systemdek IIX, with a RB300 tone arm, I am running with a Linn Adkit cart and it sounds just beautiful.
I love that cart. I have used the Linn Adkit on my second setup which an Ariston Audio RD 11s, and that has a Linn Basik LVX tonearm. If you can afford the Adkit, i strongly suggest it.

If the Adkit is out of your budget, I have used an Ortofon 2M red, and a Rega Bias, both much lower in cost, but honestly, they are very good carts for the price. I enjoyed them both.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Re: Recommended Cartridge for a Systemdek IIX

Post by cats squirrel » 15 Apr 2019 14:19

I'm using a Rega 250 at present, with the stub and counter weight replaced with stainless steel up-grades. Really is a sea change from the standard offerings. Also, I have used a Denon DL110 and a Goldring 1042, and I prefer the Denon (it works into a MM input).

For the moment, as it has a replaceable stylus, I'm using a Goldring E3, which is made by Audio Technica. Very nice middle of the road type of sound, but maybe not what you are looking for. The Denon needs a good arm to show of what it is capable, arms less able than an up-rated Rega 250 would not be suitable, IMHO.