Systemdek Transcription - Nextel finish

roman around
Westyman

Systemdek Transcription - Nextel finish

Post by Westyman » 15 Feb 2018 14:04

There have been posts on this forum about the grey flock type finish called Nextel that was used on the original Transcription deck and its follow on models.

This becomes really nasty with age and various suggestions for doing something including stripping it off and painting have been made.

Mine had become very pale grey and blotchy but as it does not sit on display I have let it go. But after its overdue service it looked so unloved I thought I would try something. I sprayed a small amount of WD40 onto a folded kitchen towel and gently rubbed the grey surface. I tried a hidden bit but when it dried it was a darker grey and looked OK so went ahead and did the whole plinth. Certainly looks better now, but how it will age I don't know.

Mike33

Re: Systemdek Transcription - Nextel finish

Post by Mike33 » 08 Dec 2018 14:23

Ive just restored a 30 year old Systemdek transcription turntable. It had among other things the dreaded Nextel problem. Ive stripped it all off with acetone, sanded it flat and then primed and resprayed the whole top plinth in matt black. I've since made a new armbosrd from aluminium, and fitted a Rega arm and Ortofon cartridge. It walks over over my Rega RP6, fitted with the same arm and cartridge. Mike

keengo
Scotland

Post by keengo » 25 Apr 2019 22:54

hi there,did this turntable come in afew finishes? mine seems to more a ceramic type feel,also how do you set this up? my platter seems to lean left and scrapes on the plinth,do adjust the 3 springs or do I use the 4 screws?

Mike33

Post by Mike33 » 29 Apr 2019 12:43

You need to use the three screws under the platter. Screwing down raises the platter unscrewing it lowers it. You'll need to keep replacing the platter and using a spirit level. Once done it should sit ok. Especially, bearing in mind to adjust the turntable main feet first.