armboards for Systemdek IIX900

roman around
modmalve
Great Britain

armboards for Systemdek IIX900

Post by modmalve » 10 Jan 2020 14:36

Hi all,
has anyone, on their Systemdek, tried and had success with the armboards from Vinylsource?
https://www.thevinylsource.co.uk/arm-boards-1

These are made from perspex rather than Aluminium. I'm wondering how the different material might affect the sound.

I am looking for an SME board so I can fit an SME 3009 improved arm.

I'd love to hear from anybody how can share their impressions - or suggest alternatives.
Thanks.

backtotheblack

Re: armboards for Systemdek IIX900

Post by backtotheblack » 10 Jan 2020 14:49

as far as i can see there are only two options around on the net (i looked recently for myself) MDF or Perspex. personally out of the two i would choose perspex. i have never been a fan of anything MDF for turntable use.

i ended up making mine out of bamboo chopping board, seems to work. i use a Rega arm which is easy, the SME not so much.

modmalve
Great Britain

Post by modmalve » 10 Jan 2020 15:02

Thanks. Yes I spotted the mdf option but was leaning towards the perspex.

DIY fabrication is the next logical direction. I am without serious workshop facilities for metal work. Bamboo is an interesting idea though.

Another option I speculated about was going to Audionote. I recall a review of their website did not look encouraging.

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 10 Jan 2020 15:40

problem with the SME mounting is you would need to use a router and to use that you would need to make a jig, the wheels on the bus go round and round.. lol. or a long time freehand with a press drill, files, dremel and coping saw. best just buying one.

they are crafty on the net with their pricing as one off to get waterjet/laser cut will cost you just slightly more than the price they charge unless you buy 20+.

modmalve
Great Britain

Post by modmalve » 10 Jan 2020 17:18

yes I agree; think i'll just buy one. The arm is old but new to me. I'm keen to see how it performs and how easy it is to operate and adjust.

Re pricing, sounds like you are speaking on the basis of some detailed research. If i like the arm then it'll be worth considering more serious investment.

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 10 Jan 2020 22:09

not so much research as experience of fabricating small batch stainless steel parts.

the SME 3009 arm is an absolute superb arm, but.. they need careful setting up as regards to the cartridge. this is where a lot of people fall short of the knowledge needed to do such a task and then blame the arm design or cartridge. pretty much all of the SME are designed to set the stylus perfectly and not just a "plonk and go" like a Rega. this makes them fiddly to set up but once done properly they will reward with amazing sound quality.

they are also getting long in the tooth so some are needing new bearings etc.etc. and again one of the reasons people get rid of them.

modmalve
Great Britain

Post by modmalve » 10 Jan 2020 23:10

thanks for the encouragement re 3009. I got it because I wanted to try a low mass arm to partner Shure carts. I've an M97xE and and M95.

I got the Systemdek because it looked like a good platform for trying different arms. As my second deck (second that is to an old LP12 I've upgraded] I got it running last week and I'm really enjoying it - more than I expected. It came with a Moth RB250 arm and I put an ATvm95 on the arm.

I'm curious to hear how the Systemdek, SME, Shure combo compares with the current setup and replay.

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 10 Jan 2020 23:53

just remember that with any suspended deck the plinth MUST be level before you level the suspension.

i got my currant Systemdek IIX for my eldest but after servicing it the main bearing was shot, just as well i had IIX900 parts lying about to which the main bearing is much better.

i put the Systemdek IIX900 in the loft after getting a PT LPT which completely blew the Systemdek out the water (much lower noise floor).

i'm listening to my frankendek right now with an RB250 and Reson cart body with a 1042 stylus and its putting up a good show. no where in the PT TOO league but still respectable and better than a Rega P2-3.

i'm toying with getting a new main bearing made up as i think its the biggest weak spot of an otherwise superb deck.

modmalve
Great Britain

Post by modmalve » 11 Jan 2020 20:58

Armboard now on order. Hopefully it will arrive next week.

I don't think I've ever heard a Pink Triangle deck. Not so many around.

Also i'm new to Reson carts. not much on the web. some connection with DNM though? sounds interesting.

The bearing on my 900 sounded dry to me and sure enough on inspection hardly any lubrication evident. The ball bearing came out easily. topped up with a few drops of HP 90 it took ages to re settle to the correct level [which I took to be good sign] and now it runs very smoothly. I had to give the motor attention too. I removed it from its mount, a drop of 3 in 1 top and bottom and lifted the plastic pulley just a shade and it too now runs quietly.

Only remaining concern is I get a distinct growl from the motor each time I use a brush to clean a record. The electrics appear to comprise just two capacitors. Reading earlier posts in this forum it appears the electrics can be improved on? [adding a resistor etc..]

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 12 Jan 2020 14:03

superb. its amazing how former owners seem to think that nothing needs lubed.

the airpax and premotec motors need a shaft support when they start to get old and this can be the cause of them buzzing and hunting, they also run a looooot quieter when sorted. the good thing about the teardrop shaped IIX is that they had the Philips motors which already have the shaft support but even they need fettled when they get really old.

to test if you need a shaft support you need to dismount the motor then hold the motor in one hand (stay away from the wiring connections or you will get a nasty shock) then slowly push up on the shaft with a finger on the other hand when the motor is running. you should feel a lot of the vibration disappear. if it does you need a shaft support.

BTW if you find that you dont have enough movement in the suspension gives a shout as i came up with a very cost effective way of sorting it.

yes Reson/DNM were the same company (sortof). its the same body as Roksan Corus and Audio Note IQ. thanks to member james73_2008 you can use the Golring 10xx series stylus in them but not the other way round as the Reson, Roksan and Audio note have an oblong pin orifice on the body. the 1042 gyger s stylus profile is a complete nightmare to get set up but once you do its nothing short of stunning, get it wrong and its realllly bad.

Pink Triangle TT's are one of the all time greats they are stunning when set up properly. the only problem with them is the electronics never lasted long and the jewelled bearing were prone to getting smashed by ham fisted owners. get a well fettled PT and you wont want to upgrade in a hurry. the one every PT owner wants in the anniversary with a vector drive.

modmalve
Great Britain

Post by modmalve » 13 Jan 2020 14:19

at risk of moving off topic, what is a shaft support for a motor?

If its some kind of reinforcement to keep it straight, how is that fitted /how does it work?

BTW suspension is the recommended 5mm., seems to be enough - at least with the Rega arm. thanks for the offer.

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 13 Jan 2020 15:18

modmalve wrote:
13 Jan 2020 14:19
at risk of moving off topic, what is a shaft support for a motor?

If its some kind of reinforcement to keep it straight, how is that fitted /how does it work?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SRM-TECH-TUR ... 4d913a1813

it attaches to the bottom of your motor. you then turn the grub screw to set the shaft height which usually gets rid of the buzzing.