Systemdek IIX belt problem

roman around
journeymanj

Re: Systemdek IIX belt problem

Post by journeymanj » 04 Nov 2019 19:21

It sounds like it needs the suspension levelling.
Is it the round II or a square IIx?

Taking the platter off when not in use isnt a good idea, the constant on and off, up and down is doing more harm than good.
She needs to be on a firm LEVEL support, banging her about on a trolley is a bad idea.
Try temporarily putting her on something such as your kitchen worktop, levelling the suspension, with a spirit level on the platter, get the platter to sit right on the springs and then see if that helps with your belt coming off.

Its possible that your suspension springs have become disconnected from their anchorage points or that a foreign body is jamming them. Dont mistake pieces of foam in the springs as foreign bodies they are to help damp oscillations.(often they rot with age)

Your problem stems from moving it about all the time . It isnt suitable for that.
If You need to constantly move a deck then get a none suspended, "slab of woody" type deck eg a Rega planar or one of its clones or better a Technics 1200/1210.

misterdonlucas
England

Post by misterdonlucas » 04 Nov 2019 19:46

markcass wrote:
04 Nov 2019 19:06
misterdonlucas wrote:
04 Nov 2019 12:18
Dear friends -

I too have a systemdek II which all too suddenly began showing the same problems (the belt slipping from 45 to 33 or completely undoing itself and going under the platter)

I feel replies already given on here to others experiencing the same are probably the solution to my very own problem but i cannot help wondering if i have damaged the unit

My Systemdek has been running great.
Two things happened before the belt problems began 

1) I moved the unit a bit abruptly , from one place to another (without the platter on) It rests on a little cart with wheels which i roll over to near the stereo , as my phono cables are short. But i lifted it a bit to go over the carpet edge,  and maybe landed it a bit too hard. 
2) i proceeded to put on a record for which the spindle hole in the centre was too tight , so i pressed it in and down - not too carelessly but some pressure was applied.

Right then, the whole thing went wrong.Please allow me to ask:

a) Which of these two procedures is likely to have been the culprit and what is likely to have happened? 

b) is the damage permanent? something which warrants me being sad about it? - i love records - they are my life.

c) How do i ensure i don't do anything that will alter the speed? 

d) Would any of you kind selves know how to get hold of a manual?

I thought these things were far sturdier than vulnerable to a slight jolt or pressure. When i bought it i brought it home without the platter, and what seemed the wrong-size immobilizing screws, and even though i had it on my legs during the one hour taxi ride there was inevitably rocking and swaying in the car, thankfully to no consequence. 

As additional info ill mention - i always remove the platter when not in use- It just makes me feel i am lengthening the life of the unit. When i removed the platter after the above incidents where one usually feels the upwards force of the spring, ever so subtly aiding the withdrawing of it , this time it didn't feel as spring-y as before .... but don't let this bias your judgement - it is just additional info.

Thanks so much!
Hi

My Systemdek II went through several house moves and was then sold to a friend and moved to his place by car, where it worked fine. He and his wife then moved to another part of the country and took the system with them. When set up again in their cottage, it still worked fine, so these decks are fairly robust. It was over 25 years old by then, maybe even 30 years old!

I therefore don't think that the manoeuvres you describe can have done any serious damage. I sometimes found LPs were a tight fit on the spindle and had to use a bit of force to get them to sit on the platter, or to remove them. The suspension settings are designed to remain stable, provided the deck's platter is taken off when it is moved. I suggest you check the set-up as described further up the thread. The manual is in the Library under "Systemdek", and basically gives the same instructions. Important: please make sure the plinth itself is level. If the deck is tilted, this could cause the problems you describe. It would also be impossible to adjust the suspension correctly.

Two other things you can do in relation to the belt problem: make sure the motor pulley and the sub-platter are clean of any grease or dirt, and clean the belt itself. Alcohol-based cleaner will do for the first two, but is best kept off the belt. I always ran the belt through a little silicone furniture polish on a paper towel, which I then used to wipe off any excess. If that doesn't help, maybe you need a new belt.

Finally, I do think you would be wise to find some way of positioning the deck permanently near your phono stage. Trundling it about the room is not a good idea!

HTH

Mark
Thanks so much, Mark - I'll re read this very carefully - my un-technical mind requires repetition - I just wanted to reply for now, to thank you.

misterdonlucas
England

Post by misterdonlucas » 04 Nov 2019 19:57

journeymanj wrote:
04 Nov 2019 19:21
It sounds like it needs the suspension levelling.
Is it the round II or a square IIx?

Taking the platter off when not in use isnt a good idea, the constant on and off, up and down is doing more harm than good.
She needs to be on a firm LEVEL support, banging her about on a trolley is a bad idea.
Try temporarily putting her on something such as your kitchen worktop, levelling the suspension, with a spirit level on the platter, get the platter to sit right on the springs and then see if that helps with your belt coming off.

Its possible that your suspension springs have become disconnected from their anchorage points or that a foreign body is jamming them. Dont mistake pieces of foam in the springs as foreign bodies they are to help damp oscillations.(often they rot with age)

Your problem stems from moving it about all the time . It isnt suitable for that.
If You need to constantly move a deck then get a none suspended, "slab of woody" type deck eg a Rega planar or one of its clones or better a Technics 1200/1210.
Wow, thanks brother - another great reply which will add to my overall understanding.

So:

1) Removing Platter: Really? Not a good idea? I handle it very gently when on and off? In my perhaps naive mind, 24/7 x365 of unrelenting weight was not as good as half that time. Is this not the logic to apply, then?

2) To look at the suspension springs de i need to open the unit? I mean there is still upwards spring, it just somehow did not feel as responsive when i last removed the platter.

3) Moving it about, really? it's less than a meter each time, on carpet , although yes indeed i have to go over a second carpet , which at times i do less subtly than others albeit not totally carelessly and off that relief (edge off the second carpet) when putting away the machine. I guess just the slight gravity of acceleration when rolling it has an adverse effect?

To begin with i'll just get longer cables.
:-)

misterdonlucas
England

Post by misterdonlucas » 05 Nov 2019 23:09

markcass wrote:
04 Nov 2019 19:06
Hi

My Systemdek II went through several house moves and was then sold to a friend and moved to his place by car, where it worked fine. He and his wife then moved to another part of the country and took the system with them. When set up again in their cottage, it still worked fine, so these decks are fairly robust. It was over 25 years old by then, maybe even 30 years old!

I therefore don't think that the manoeuvres you describe can have done any serious damage. I sometimes found LPs were a tight fit on the spindle and had to use a bit of force to get them to sit on the platter, or to remove them. The suspension settings are designed to remain stable, provided the deck's platter is taken off when it is moved. I suggest you check the set-up as described further up the thread. The manual is in the Library under "Systemdek", and basically gives the same instructions. Important: please make sure the plinth itself is level. If the deck is tilted, this could cause the problems you describe. It would also be impossible to adjust the suspension correctly.

Two other things you can do in relation to the belt problem: make sure the motor pulley and the sub-platter are clean of any grease or dirt, and clean the belt itself. Alcohol-based cleaner will do for the first two, but is best kept off the belt. I always ran the belt through a little silicone furniture polish on a paper towel, which I then used to wipe off any excess. If that doesn't help, maybe you need a new belt.

Finally, I do think you would be wise to find some way of positioning the deck permanently near your phono stage. Trundling it about the room is not a good idea!

HTH

Mark
Once again Mark, thank you! amazing insights.

I would struggle to see how a belt which has been working excellently would suddenly give, in such Unlikely huh? ,,, but i shall bear this in mind nonetheless,,,,

One point though, if ''The suspension settings are designed to remain stable'' it feels unlikely the that these would have all of a sudden become out of whack / wrong,,, right?

x