Pioneer PL-L1000 and the Phase Linear Model 8000

the final frontier
kpc

Pioneer PL-L1000 and the Phase Linear Model 8000

Post by kpc » 27 Aug 2017 23:40

Could someone tell me the differences between the Pioneer PL-L1000 and the Phase Linear Model 8000 TTs?

PL8000tt

Re: Pioneer PL-L1000 and the Phase Linear Model 8000

Post by PL8000tt » 31 Oct 2017 22:03

Just putting my two cents worth in, and hoping if I'm wrong someone will correct me, but I believe the only difference between the two is that the one says Phase Linear on it---other than that I believe they're identical, as both were built by Pioneer. And, if anyone reading this knows where I could get my Phase Linear 8000 repaired please let me know, as it will advance the tone arm to the correct position when START is pushed, and return to the rest position when STOP is pushed, but it will not lower the tonearm. Any suggestions as to a reliable place to have this looked at, preferably in the Puget Sound area? Thanks

kpc

Post by kpc » 01 Nov 2017 23:58

Thank you. I don't know where you can get yours fixed - sorry.

ralphfcooke

Post by ralphfcooke » 06 Nov 2017 19:47

It's most likely the small drive belt that fits between the lift motor and the mechanism. Try listening carefully when you press the up/down button. You should hear a faint noise from the motor. If you do it is almost certainly the belt. It's not difficult to change yourself, the service manual is in the library.

PL8000tt

Post by PL8000tt » 09 Nov 2017 06:25

Yeah, thanks---I just couldn't find the time to do this and then, VOILA, I found some time! I disassembled the turntable and it is indeed the belt that is the issue---ordered a new one and it's on its way, so hopefully after a good set-up and readjusting everything all is well. I did notice that the rubber "boots" that surround the suspension springs on the legs/feet are deteriorated and am wondering if anyone might know of a place to find replacements, or of a nice clean system of reproducing and/or replacing these? Thanks again for the help

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 09 Nov 2017 07:53

@kpc:
I don´t know whether there are differences between a PL-L1000 and a Phase 8000 (apart from the Phase being silver :wink: ), but there also has been the Pioneer PL-L1000A:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pio ... 000a.shtml
which is said to have some differences to a PL-L1000, so maybe the Phase 8000 is more like a PL-L1000A.

@PL8000tt:

There also are said to be some "microswitches" in the PL-L1000 which sometimes do need attention; i think those also drive the arm movement. So if the new belt doesn´t help, use the search function in this forum including the term "microswitch", i think there is some info here.
Somewhere someone took a innern bicycle tube, cut it into pieces and put those onto the springs of the feet to replace the degraded rubber parts - he said it worked pretty good.

melson_michael

Post by melson_michael » 27 Feb 2018 17:48

I own several PL-L1000 TTs, one Phase Linear 8000, and one PL-L1000A. I work on all of them and have been inside and out. Use them with strain gauge and traditional cartridges as well as CD-4 and SQ four channel playing. Have other TTs but nothing compares to these.

Pl-L1000 and Phase Linear 8000 are the same with Pioneer name inside Phase Linear 8000 on parts.

Pl-L1000A has a turntable platter that does not require screws to hold it, there is a an easy access dial to adjust the tone arm lead in located on the top of the tone arm assembly, not requiring opening it up to access the VR's, the tone arm is graphite, the tone arm circuit mutes signal until stylus contacts album, and the arm control, while still a round device, is split in the middle and uses left right push button arrows, not a dial.

I use O rings and fingers from gorilla gloves over the spring to replace OEM boots which are no longer available. One O ring on top to hold tip of glove finger and a larger one on bottom to hold other end of glove finger. I use two fingers per spring. Just stretch them over the spring and cut them. Can send pictures.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 01 Mar 2018 15:47

melson_michael wrote:.....snippage.......
I use O rings and fingers from gorilla gloves over the spring to replace OEM boots which are no longer available. One O ring on top to hold tip of glove finger and a larger one on bottom to hold other end of glove finger. I use two fingers per spring. Just stretch them over the spring and cut them. Can send pictures.
Thanks for your post and welcome to VE...... :) =D> =D> =D>

Great idea. My boots were kind of aged with cracking etc..... I was able to soak them in my rubber restorer. I filled in the cracks with thin smears of silicone rubber in the gap bridging to good condition rubber.

In the process of going through it as it was working before I disassembled it. It came with a Shure V-15 TP IV so I'm psyched to get her up and running. Looks like this will become my default / perfect tangential turntable as it can track inside out =D> =D>

Fred

seattlemagpies
United States of America

Post by seattlemagpies » 26 Feb 2019 20:13

Hi All,

I just picked up 2 PL-L1000 and 1 Phase Linear 8000 at an estate sale and am just going through testing.

I opened up the Phase Linear and replaced the tone arm lift belt, so that's working now, but once I put back together, the platter strangely moves back and forth. everything else seems to be working

One of the PL-1000, arm moves and tone arm lift working, but platter doesn't spin at all. Bad motor? any way to test?

The last one, the rear pulley guide on the back of the tone arm is off, but all the parts are there...looking for a tone arm assembly diagram or something. Also, when first turned on, platter spun, but then started doing the back and forth thing.

Thoughts? help?

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 28 Feb 2019 04:42

DDs sometimes don´t work when the platter is not put on.
Maybe a look in the service manual can help, you can get that there on VE.