the home of the turntable

Help : restoring a panasonic PL-A35

the final frontier

Help : restoring a panasonic PL-A35

Postby digitalkingdom » 27 Apr 2017 02:23

hello!

i'm not typically in turntables, but i got this one from my aunt who passed away. Today i had nothing to do so i decided to see if it worked. It didn't. So i decided to get my hands dirty. I like blindly trying to repair old stuff. Please forgive me if i've made major mistakes, you know, in case this turntable turns out to be an oldie-but-goodie some of you are dying to get your hands on. anyway :

-The platter was not turning, and by the look of the taper in the platter, i thought the center spindle's brass and steel parts must actually be a bearing, but it was seized. Trying to spin it with two vise grips seized., so i undid the screw, completely saturated the thing in wd40, and set fire to it for a few minutes. I started being able to move the darn things, and could remove the shaft. And then after more wd40, the steel ball that sits down there came out too. i thoroughly cleaned the bearing surfaces with soap, alcohol, then put a hearthy dose of sewing machine oil in there, and reinstalled the thing. now when i set the platter in motion without the belt being engaged, it'll run for minutes. first victory.

I then lubricated the places that say LUBRICATE ME!! (the two tubes and the four ports of the motor) with sewing machine oil (is sewing machine oil even ok for turntables?)

now for the electronic part. it sounds fine... good even. however, intermittently, and more often when i just turned it on, i hear damage-your-speakers short-like noise (kinda like what you hear when you plug in RCA cables hot, or worse, touch them to one another. I did more tests off the phono preamp (directly in my amplifier, so the speakers wouldnt hurl their cones in my face) but couldnt find the source of it. i tried to ground it to the preamp ground terminal, to a power-bar's ground pin, to my home's water pipes, and tho it seems to kinda change things, the problem is still there.

everything inside seems to be connected fine, but it's hard to look between the soldered ports in there and the arm. i do know that removing the head-with-the-needle doesn't Help it.

So far all i could think to try is make sure nothing was touching, and i cleaned the copper springy-things contact that..(seem to short the sound circuit so there's no sound output when it's not on?) ....however there IS very faint sound output when it's off... I'll hear it if i try to see if there's music stored in my fingerprints. (yeah. sorry if that's another no-no....

I'm out of a clue. Anyone got one for me?

also there's a kind of hook thing on the left of where the arm is anchored. i can't for the life of me figure out what it's for.
digitalkingdom

Canada

Re: Help : restoring a panasonic PL-A35

Postby eschanen » 27 Apr 2017 17:44

Not sure about the noise. If this is the model I'm thinking of there's a separate motor that drives the tonearm. In my experience that motor makes a lot of noise and I wonder if there's a muting switch in there somewhere that isn't working.

The hook on the left is for the anti-skate weight. It's a little weight on a very thin piece of string. Quite often this goes missing.

I'll also say that the plastic tubes that connect the oiling holes to the motor are usually very dry and cracked so it's very possible that the oil you're putting in there isn't getting to the motor and may just be leaking out into the bottom of the turntable base. May want to check that. If they are intact then be careful around it because they'll break easily.
eschanen
contributor

United States of America

Postby digitalkingdom » 28 Apr 2017 05:52

thanks for your input and info about the weight. noise is coming from the speakers tho. as i said, it's as if there was a short somewhere- sounds like an electric discharge going to the sound circuit.
digitalkingdom

Canada

Postby super scope » 14 Jun 2018 04:05

I had the same thing...I took off the headshell and sprayed de-oxit in it and in the tonearm...the sound disappeared!
super scope

United States of America

Postby Alec124c41 » 14 Jun 2018 13:47

The manuals for the Pioneer PL-A35, both user's and service, are in th VE Library: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pio ... -a35.shtml
Many of the old Pioneer turntables (I have a PL-41) used a delrin thrust pad at the bottom of the platter bearing. This disintegrates with age, and can leave the platter sitting a bit low.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby TudorTurtle » 14 Jun 2018 16:31

Does the nasty "short" sound only happen at the very beginning and and/or very end of the LP?
I ask because the Pioneer PL A35 has a sound cutoff circuit that closes right after the needle drops and opens at the end of the LP.
TudorTurtle
contributor

United States of America

Return to Pioneer