the home of the turntable

Pioneer PL-530 scratchy start/stop controls....what to do?

the final frontier

Pioneer PL-530 scratchy start/stop controls....what to do?

Postby 6gungurney » 13 Mar 2017 23:52

Hi guys,
Recently picked up a nice looking PL-530 with a Pickering TL-3 cartridge. Plays nicely, speed is spot-on, all functions work....except...
When I engage the automatic start feature there is a loud scratchy sound exactly like how a dirty volume pot sounds. The scratching continues until the needle sets down then the scratching goes away and the records play nicely, and quietly. This also happens when I engage the "Stop" feature,and when the album reaches the end and auto stop feature kicks in.
It sounds like merely a dirty switch or something....but what do I need to clean? Is it the micro switch?

Any guidance anybody could lend would be very much appreciated. I'm sure it's a quick and easy fix, if I know what to fix.
6gungurney

United States of America

Re: Pioneer PL-530 scratchy start/stop controls....what to d

Postby romanose » 14 Mar 2017 06:21

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pio ... -530.shtml . Here's the service manual. If you look at the top left figure of page 41 you'll see a microswitch and an open switch to mute the sound. If the microswitch were chattering it might cause the noise in the mute switch or perhaps the mute switch needs cleaning. You actually have two microswitches to control the direct drive perhaps you should replace both of them and clean the mute switch with deoxit d5. Search ebay for "omron microswitch" and you should find them on there, they are a standard type.

Perhaps while you have it opened up you should think about replacing all the electrolytic capacitors. As well as replacing the thermal compound on all the heatsinks.
romanose

Re: Pioneer PL-530 scratchy start/stop controls....what to d

Postby 6gungurney » 14 Mar 2017 15:40

Thank you Rhomanski for the guidance. Just what I was looking for!
6gungurney

United States of America

Return to Pioneer