the home of the turntable

Pioneer PL100 Cartridge Alignment & AT95e

the final frontier

Pioneer PL100 Cartridge Alignment & AT95e

Postby Ballba82 » 01 Mar 2017 18:09

Hi all,

Just purchased an Audio Technica AT95e for my Pioneer PL100 turntable, and wow does it sound a hell of a lot better than the old stylus that was in it :D I can only imagine how it sounds with a proper alignment :)

Now I've been looking on here for the proper cartridge alignment template for this stylus and player but I can't seem to find one :shock: . Could somebody point me in the right direction please?

#Edit - I have set the right tracking force, anti skate and cartridge overhang (49mm)
Ballba82

Ireland

Re: Pioneer PL100 Cartridge Alignment & AT95e

Postby Alec124c41 » 03 Mar 2017 16:25

The "overhamg" will get you a decent alignment.
You can use a 2-point protractor with any arm, any cartridge. It is reassuring to check your set-up. Remember that different alignment protocols will have different overhangs.
With a 2-point protractor, align the cartridge perfectly on the outer grid, with the stylus on the correct point.
Move it to the inner grid, moving the protractor, and place the stylus on the correct point.
There are 3 possibilities:
1 - It is perfectly aligned. You are done.
2 - The cartridge angles outward: move it back a bit, and try again.
3 - the cartridge angles inward: move it forward, and try again.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby noisefreq » 03 Mar 2017 18:30

Hi ballba82,
Check out page 4 of the owners manual in the Database. It shows the easy 49mm overhang of the headshell. Then just square it in the headshell and you're done. You can double-check it with a Stevenson protractor.

IMG_20160917_143053.jpg
just keep smiling
noisefreq

United States of America

Postby Ballba82 » 06 Mar 2017 15:51

noisefreq wrote:Hi ballba82,
Check out page 4 of the owners manual in the Database. It shows the easy 49mm overhang of the headshell. Then just square it in the headshell and you're done. You can double-check it with a Stevenson protractor.

IMG_20160917_143053.jpg

Alec124c41 wrote:The "overhamg" will get you a decent alignment.
You can use a 2-point protractor with any arm, any cartridge. It is reassuring to check your set-up. Remember that different alignment protocols will have different overhangs.
With a 2-point protractor, align the cartridge perfectly on the outer grid, with the stylus on the correct point.
Move it to the inner grid, moving the protractor, and place the stylus on the correct point.
There are 3 possibilities:
1 - It is perfectly aligned. You are done.
2 - The cartridge angles outward: move it back a bit, and try again.
3 - the cartridge angles inward: move it forward, and try again.

Cheers,
Alec

Thank you both for your replies. It's perfectly aligned now and sounding amazing :mrgreen:
Ballba82

Ireland

Return to Pioneer