the home of the turntable

PL12 Suspension spring problem

the final frontier

PL12 Suspension spring problem

Postby meggymoo » 24 Feb 2017 13:26

Hi everyone

I am in the process of refurbing a PL12 MK1 but I am having problems with the suspension springs.I took the original springs off for cleaning as they were badly corroded and mixed them up not realising they went in a certain order,However I ordered some replacements off ebay which look in great condition. The guy has colour coded and drew a diagram as to which springs go where(he sent me 2 sets) but when I have put them on, the chassis is lobsided and doesn't sit right,I have emailed the guy and he said the turntables he took the springs off were the same,I suspect some of the springs maybe worn.
I have messed about with swapping the springs about and filled them with car cleaning sponge and it's now only a couple of mm lower at the back.
so I am wondering will the difference in height between the front and the back make any difference or do any harm also has anybody used anything else other than springs for suspension.
Thanks in advance for any help
Meggymoo
meggymoo

United Kingdom

Re: PL12 Suspension spring problem

Postby Japi Roelofs » 24 Feb 2017 13:38

You could try putting some (rubber) washers underneath the springs that are on the low side, to level the chassis with the plinth. A level chassis is always best.
Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
contributor

Netherlands

Postby meggymoo » 24 Feb 2017 14:26

Japi Roelofs wrote:You could try putting some (rubber) washers underneath the springs that are on the low side, to level the chassis with the plinth. A level chassis is always best.

Thanks Japi I may try that

Thanks
Meggymoo
meggymoo

United Kingdom

Postby Landolaman1 » 27 Feb 2017 19:48

meggymoo wrote:
Japi Roelofs wrote:You could try putting some (rubber) washers underneath the springs that are on the low side, to level the chassis with the plinth. A level chassis is always best.

Thanks Japi I may try that

Thanks
Meggymoo

Yes rubber washers are the way to go as Japi says. I've owned a couple of PL-12D TT's & i believe rubber washers were factory fitted in some instances to obtain a perfect level. Old bicycle inner tube is ideal. Regards, Neil.
Landolaman1

United Kingdom

Return to Pioneer