the home of the turntable

How to disable p1-518 auto-return

the final frontier

How to disable p1-518 auto-return

Postby Blueguitar » 14 Feb 2017 12:59

Hello,

The auto-return on my Pl-518 has become erratic - it will just engage randomly at times, picking up and returning the arm at different spots on the album. Is there and easy way to turn it off/ disable it? I don't really need it.

Thank You,
Carl
Blueguitar

Re: How to disable p1-518 auto-return

Postby Landolaman1 » 15 Feb 2017 21:46

Blueguitar wrote:Hello,

The auto-return on my Pl-518 has become erratic - it will just engage randomly at times, picking up and returning the arm at different spots on the album. Is there and easy way to turn it off/ disable it? I don't really need it.

Thank You,
Carl

There is a service manual on here for your TT. That should give you some idea what need to be disengaged to isolate the auto return. Whatever you do, be careful!!
Good luck. Neil.
Landolaman1

United Kingdom

Re: How to disable p1-518 auto-return

Postby Cghal9000 » 23 Apr 2018 03:44

I know this is an old post but I just got my PL-518 up and running. The auto return was not working and I had to fix it so I know just what to do to make it not work. Take off the rubber mat, platter and cover beneath them. There is a large plastic gear they call the "cam unit". on top of that there is a small 2 piece assembly of tiny metal plates with tangs that engage the return mechanism. They call this the "Return signal unit". Remove this tiny 2 plate assembly (bag it and keep it in the plinth if you can without it tangling things up)and it will work as a manual only return. At least mine did.
Cghal9000

United States of America

Return to Pioneer