Pioneer PLX-1000

the final frontier
Post Reply
kramer
member
member
Great Britain
Posts: 222
Joined: 13 Jul 2007 16:57
Location: Truro

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by kramer » 29 Dec 2015 09:45

It does seem that there are quite a few here who are determined to rubbish the pioneer - the video strip down of the pioneer is so obivious with the platter in situ during the unboxing. I currently have a an AT LP120, which I bought as a project and just because it had been rubbished so much by the technics mafia. I stripped out the preamp and fitted some proper phono's and a grounding post and while I agree it is nowhere near a technics 1200 in terms of build and sound quality (I definitely do not like the flimsy platter), it is certainly on a par with any £200 turntable. When my wife is not looking and the price is right I will be getting the pioneer.

bigus3333
junior member
junior member
Posts: 23
Joined: 14 Jan 2014 03:51

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by bigus3333 » 09 Jan 2016 01:32

kramer wrote:It does seem that there are quite a few here who are determined to rubbish the pioneer - the video strip down of the pioneer is so obivious with the platter in situ during the unboxing. I currently have a an AT LP120, which I bought as a project and just because it had been rubbished so much by the Technics mafia. I stripped out the preamp and fitted some proper phono's and a grounding post and while I agree it is nowhere near a Technics 1200 in terms of build and sound quality (I definitely do not like the flimsy platter), it is certainly on a par with any £200 turntable. When my wife is not looking and the price is right I will be getting the pioneer.
I have a Audio-Technica AT-LP1240 as well and I personally think that the build quality of the Pioneer is better. My thoughts only...

Post back when you get one and let us know your thoughts,

kramer
member
member
Great Britain
Posts: 222
Joined: 13 Jul 2007 16:57
Location: Truro

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by kramer » 10 Jan 2016 16:34

bigus3333 wrote:
kramer wrote:It does seem that there are quite a few here who are determined to rubbish the pioneer - the video strip down of the pioneer is so obivious with the platter in situ during the unboxing. I currently have a an AT LP120, which I bought as a project and just because it had been rubbished so much by the Technics mafia. I stripped out the preamp and fitted some proper phono's and a grounding post and while I agree it is nowhere near a Technics 1200 in terms of build and sound quality (I definitely do not like the flimsy platter), it is certainly on a par with any £200 turntable. When my wife is not looking and the price is right I will be getting the pioneer.
I have a Audio-Technica AT-LP1240 as well and I personally think that the build quality of the Pioneer is better. My thoughts only...

Post back when you get one and let us know your thoughts,
Looking back I wish I had got the Lp1240, however the pioneer to me in addition to build quality is more asthetically pleasing and does not have a pointless built in pre amp.

bovina_sancta
Posts: 1
Joined: 18 Apr 2014 18:38

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by bovina_sancta » 03 Mar 2016 03:18

Has anyone had any experience using a different arm with the Pioneer?
Is the PLX-1000 arm & board as easy to remove as the one on the 1200?
Anyone with any knowledge of a manufacturer/fabricator for a replacement PLX-1000 armboard - for use with an SME or Rega arm?

CF-105
member
member
Posts: 128
Joined: 14 Nov 2005 03:48
Location: Toronto

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by CF-105 » 04 Mar 2016 05:11

bovina_sancta wrote:Has anyone had any experience using a different arm with the Pioneer?
Is the PLX-1000 arm & board as easy to remove as the one on the 1200?
Anyone with any knowledge of a manufacturer/fabricator for a replacement PLX-1000 armboard - for use with an SME or Rega arm?
That is an excellent question!

helomech
member
member
Posts: 83
Joined: 21 Sep 2014 06:55

Re: Pioneer PLX-10000

Post by helomech » 24 Mar 2016 22:46

DK1 wrote:
macnoob wrote:Letters? You mean physical letters in the mail? Or emails?

I tend to phone when I need quick response contacting any large company.
Yep, physical formal letters in the mail to Pioneer's Warranty Claims Dept. At the top of each letter was my home address and at the foot of each letter I also included my phone number and email address, and no response of any kind! Also included with each letter were copies of previous correspondence and the invoice from my supplier. As a note the supplier could not have been more helpful except they would not accept a return as the turntable was two months old before the faults were noticed or became evident.

Cheers, I'll try a phone call as well; you never know! Something has got to work to get a tt fit for purpose, without rattly bearings and flaking paint on the tonearm.

Just as a note I gave my ProJect Debut Carbon to my sister when I bought the Pioneer. I have had the opportunity to test the gimbal bearings on the ProJect in the same way as the YouTube clip and guess what - zero slack in the tonearm bearings, it was rock-solid... and this was half the price of the PLX1000!
My ProJect carbon had some slack in the Vertical (yaw) bearing, it wasn't a lot, but noticeable enough. It also had a fair bit of wobble that I think was the fault of the subplatter.

I recently picked up a PlX 1000 knowing that it might come with loose tonearm bearings. I managed to adjust the bearings (took over 2 hours) to where they seem frictionless and have zero perceptible play. The table seems very well built and probably weighs a good 10 lbs more than my highly modded Thorens TD166.

Unfortunately,my particular PLX has a slight platter wobble, but worse, it has a loud platter bearing noise that I hear when the platter is spinning (no music playing). I have not found any other mention of this problem on any of the forums. I'm curious if it's a common problem, like the tonearm bearings, or if owners just haven't noticed it yet. I am also thinking of making a warranty claim. I'm somewhat reluctant because the platter bearing noise doesn't appear to cause feedback while playing music. I don't think the perfectionist in me can ignore it for long. Please update us if you have any luck with your claim. I might try calling Pioneer tomorrow.

DK1
member
member
Posts: 34
Joined: 22 Dec 2014 11:25

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by DK1 » 25 Mar 2016 00:24

Helomech, I got absolutely nowhere with Pioneer! Not sure if the States operates the same as the UK but your warranty is with the retailer, not Pioneer. I have a wobbly platter too but no bearing noise issue.

I eventually gave up on the Pioneer and bought a Marantz TT15-S1, difference... massive! The Marantz is digging detail out of the grooves that the Pioneer can only dream of! I've not put the PLX up for sale yet as I adore the looks, it's just let down by being a re-badged Hanpin produced deck and poor quality control. Comparing the build quality of the Pioneer against the Marantz there's no competition here! Picked-up the Marantz for the same price as the PLX+2M Black cartridge. Currently running an Nagaoka MP300 on the Marantz.

macnoob
long player
long player
Posts: 1183
Joined: 09 Apr 2014 03:07

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by macnoob » 25 Mar 2016 00:59

DK1 wrote: I eventually gave up on the Pioneer and bought a Marantz TT15-S1, difference... massive! The Marantz is digging detail out of the grooves that the Pioneer can only dream of!
Well yeah, the Marantz is double the price of the Pioneer - and made by Clearaudio, a big name in higher end tables. They sure look cool too.

helomech
member
member
Posts: 83
Joined: 21 Sep 2014 06:55

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by helomech » 25 Mar 2016 02:11

DK1,

I was also looking at the Marantz TT-15. It looks as though they have a gimbal bearing arm instead of the magnetic bearing of the other Clearaudio arms. Is that correct? They do look impressive. I might get one if I sell off some other gear. Yeah, dam that Hanpin for making an awesome looking 1200 clone with a tank-like plinth and skimping on the rest. I can't lie though, it does sound about as good as my modded Thorens...a different type of sound, but still pretty good for the price.

DK1
member
member
Posts: 34
Joined: 22 Dec 2014 11:25

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by DK1 » 25 Mar 2016 10:31

macnoob wrote: Well yeah, the Marantz is double the price of the Pioneer - and made by Clearaudio, a big name in higher end tables. They sure look cool too.
Agreed. The Pioneer originally cost me approx. £600 + £500 for the 2M Black cart. The Marantz in the UK is £1500! However, I found a supplier in Holland and got it for £1100 incl P&P; it comes with a decent bundled cart but I fitted the Nag as it was gathering dust after it failed to mount correctly on the Pioneer.

The price for the Marantz in Canada and the States is a steal at $1500 in your respective currency.

DK1
member
member
Posts: 34
Joined: 22 Dec 2014 11:25

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by DK1 » 25 Mar 2016 10:48

helomech wrote:DK1,

I was also looking at the Marantz TT-15. It looks as though they have a gimbal bearing arm instead of the magnetic bearing of the other Clearaudio arms. Is that correct? They do look impressive. I might get one if I sell off some other gear. Yeah, dam that Hanpin for making an awesome looking 1200 clone with a tank-like plinth and skimping on the rest. I can't lie though, it does sound about as good as my modded Thorens...a different type of sound, but still pretty good for the price.
Correct, standard bearing for the arm on the Marantz, no fancy stuff, though they do have a magnetic bias control, which is both unique and actually works :D The only minus point for the Marantz is no dust cover, Clearaudio sell one for it but it is ridiculously expensive!

Shame about the Pioneer as between the two decks the Pioneer is so pleasing on the eye, plus of course the direct drive system. I just so wish that the product was screwed together a little better and didn't come with so many faults. Pioneer have lost me as a future customer, not because their kit is poor, it's more to do with a complete lack of customer service.

macnoob
long player
long player
Posts: 1183
Joined: 09 Apr 2014 03:07

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by macnoob » 25 Mar 2016 15:09

DK1 wrote: The price for the Marantz in Canada and the States is a steal at $1500 in your respective currency.
And that $1500 includes a Clearaudio cart "Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony Wood Cartridge" that sells for $900 on its own, unless the seller listings are in error!

DK1
member
member
Posts: 34
Joined: 22 Dec 2014 11:25

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by DK1 » 25 Mar 2016 22:30

No error on the seller listings, it is indeed a Virtuoso Ebony, re-badged as a Marantz cart.

bigus3333
junior member
junior member
Posts: 23
Joined: 14 Jan 2014 03:51

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by bigus3333 » 26 Mar 2016 23:49

All nice tables but....
for me, the ability to tweak is a big factor.
The ability to adjust the arm height is a big factor a lot of turntables manufactures neglect.
Pro-Ject and Music Hall's alan key method is clumsy at best. Others have similar or no option for this.
Interconnect and power cord options are also a nice option if your into that.

I've never had a problem setting up any of my cartridges, and I have 6 which I rotate.
I've never had a problem with platter noise.
I used to have a Pro-Ject 2Xperience Acryl. For me, comparing the two, the Pioneer crushes the Pro-ject at half the price.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

helomech
member
member
Posts: 83
Joined: 21 Sep 2014 06:55

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by helomech » 27 Mar 2016 16:14

I found the culprit of the bearing noise on my PLX. I will post repair instructions in the near future. From what I found, I'm betting it's not an isolated one-off issue. My platter is dead silent now.

Post Reply