Pioneer PLX-1000

the final frontier
macnoob
long player
long player

Re: Pioneer PLX-10000

Post by macnoob » 10 Mar 2015 19:13

Maybe the manual is wrong - who knows? Maybe errors in translation.

You can always use a thicker platter mat or shims between the cartridge and headshell.

irons1965

Post by irons1965 » 12 Mar 2015 10:46

I've noticed in the PLX-1000 manual that the screw on sub-weight for the tonearm should be used with cartridges over 9.5g....My Nagaoka cart is 6.5g which would suggest that I should leave the extra weight off- Is this correct?

Also I've just purchased a Ortofon SH4 headshell (which is a bit heavier than the stock Pioneer one)- If I was to remount my 6.5g cartridge in the Ortofon, would I need to use the extra sub-weight?

Cheers

Darren

pedroboe

Post by pedroboe » 15 Mar 2015 23:11

Hey All

New here,

Just finished setting up my new PLX 1000 with Audio Technica AT33EV. I am afraid I have the dreaded loose tonearm issue, however, I am (denial?) wondering if that is really a problem, as it passes all the tests with flying colors in terms of functionality. And the antiskating WORKS on mine just fine.

I did take a short stint at adjusting the bearings but the arm seized a little when doing the balance test. So I put it back (I think) where it was [-X

The one thing bothering me is the part of the arm where the counterwight rests on. Is that supposed to be loose too?

Sorry, no SL1200 experience here.

I think that the deck sounds great with the AT33EV, beautiful, detailed and very little background noise with lots of bass "slam".

I would hate to have to send it back after I put so much time setting it up and enjoying the music. Maybe we need a statement from Pioneer abot this.

Peace

Mctwins

Post by Mctwins » 20 Mar 2015 14:28

macnoob wrote:Maybe the manual is wrong - who knows? Maybe errors in translation.

You can always use a thicker platter mat or shims between the cartridge and headshell.
Hallo!

It seems to be the same on all the language in the manual.

Mctwins

Post by Mctwins » 20 Mar 2015 14:46

Hallo!

Has anybody tried with the Ortofon Concorde and see if there is something wrong or right regarding the overhang in the manual.

The height on a Shure M44G is 15,9mm. How would one adjust the height on the Pioneer, by putting more slipmats??

I have send e-mail to Pioneer regaring my question but with no respond back both here in Sweden and US or any other country for that matter. It's like the company does not exist. #-o

Not so good support!

Jive Turkey

Post by Jive Turkey » 22 Mar 2015 23:47

I've had a PLX-1000 for about a month or so now, replacing a Groovetracer upgraded Rega P3-24. Once I nailed the VTA, it's been nothing but fine music around here. Not a horizontal move at all.

But I take advantage of it's flexibilty and use Cardas Crosslink interconnects and a Kimber PowerKord. I also use an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge and it sits upon a 3" Butcher Block over raquetballs in furntiture cups.

I think it's more than worth the money, though it still looks like a DJ deck. A well built DJ looking deck, that is.

joey1127

Post by joey1127 » 06 May 2015 04:35

Lymbo90 wrote:
irons1965 wrote:Lymbo

How did you settle on your anti-skate settings- Did you just follow Pioneer's instructions of matching your chosen cartridge figure with a similar anti-skate reading?
Yes sir, I did. I'm still blown away with this TT. MUCH better than I had anticipated. I honestly prefer the sound of it over the Scout 1.1 that I owned prior to buying the Pioneer. And the VPI cost more than double the price of the PLX.
I am so glad to hear you say this. I just returned a Scout 1.1 as I was not happy with the way it sounded. I have my PLX-1000 here and I must say, I'm surprised at how well it's built. The platter has NO wobble at all and the arm bearings on mine are free of play. I had tried the Onkyo CP-1050 and was very let down by a wobbly platter and lose tonearm.

I am trying to decided if I want to use an Ortofon 2M Black or a Clearaudio Virtuoso on this table...any thoughts???

Joey

DK1

Post by DK1 » 06 May 2015 10:58

Got a 2M Black fitted to mine and it sounds great.

However, my on-going problem with loose tonearm gimbal bearings and flaking paint has fallen on deaf ears at Pioneer, after two letters to their warranty dept I have still not received any reply from them. I somehow expected more from such a reputable company :(

Pioneer have lost me as a future purchaser of any of their products.

macnoob
long player
long player

Post by macnoob » 06 May 2015 14:15

Letters? You mean physical letters in the mail? Or emails?

I tend to phone when I need quick response contacting any large company.

jwspicer1

Post by jwspicer1 » 06 May 2015 15:06

Read the beginning and end of this thread and concluded why I am a fan of Technics as much as many here are fans of Dual.

The thing about a "real" 1200 (or it's offspring) are that it is that the Technics has stood the test of time. Even though, like any electronics product, they are not perfect too, it is amazing how easy it is to find them in decent shape even now, and if restorable it is to get them back into good working form. Like the Duals, the amount of knowledge (and even spare parts) still out there for them is amazing. Consider there are still virtually untouched units from the '70s which, properly maintained are happily humming along. Not a whole lot of products can claim that.

Modern items are, alas, caught up in that "every couple of years, replace" bug that hit so many other consumer products a long time ago. That replacement and upgrade stream is what allow them to be built so cheap for what you get, and makes a lot of stuff throwaway almost from the moment you crack the box open. Shame really. I have seen both good and bad (a lot more than I thought) on that Pioneer. Really thought it had a chance here. We need a good versatile replacement for the 1200.

And no, not holding my breath for Technics. Besides, if the components they re-entered the market with are any indication, the price of a NEW Technics turntable (if engineered to the level of the rest of their new line, not just OEM from Hanpin like the Pioneer) would be astronomical. Shame.

joey1127

Post by joey1127 » 06 May 2015 17:30

DK1 wrote:Got a 2M Black fitted to mine and it sounds great.

However, my on-going problem with loose tonearm gimbal bearings and flaking paint has fallen on deaf ears at Pioneer, after two letters to their warranty dept I have still not received any reply from them. I somehow expected more from such a reputable company :(

Pioneer have lost me as a future purchaser of any of their products.
Ya know...the Onkyo CP-1050 that I tried (also a Hanpin machine) had really loose tonearm bearings to the point that just toucing the arm made it rattle and the platter had really bad wobble. I packed that puppy up and sent it right back! NO WAY would I keep it. If your Pioneer is having issues, get a hold of the reseller and ask them to assist. They have a rep they work with who can get results for you...at least that has been my experience in the past.

I have a 2M black on hand and will mount that up. Also using a Herbie Mat with mine. Can't wait to get it going.

Joey

joey1127

Post by joey1127 » 06 May 2015 17:40

jwspicer1 wrote:Read the beginning and end of this thread and concluded why I am a fan of Technics as much as many here are fans of Dual.

The thing about a "real" 1200 (or it's offspring) are that it is that the Technics has stood the test of time. Even though, like any electronics product, they are not perfect too, it is amazing how easy it is to find them in decent shape even now, and if restorable it is to get them back into good working form. Like the Duals, the amount of knowledge (and even spare parts) still out there for them is amazing. Consider there are still virtually untouched units from the '70s which, properly maintained are happily humming along. Not a whole lot of products can claim that.

Modern items are, alas, caught up in that "every couple of years, replace" bug that hit so many other consumer products a long time ago. That replacement and upgrade stream is what allow them to be built so cheap for what you get, and makes a lot of stuff throwaway almost from the moment you crack the box open. Shame really. I have seen both good and bad (a lot more than I thought) on that Pioneer. Really thought it had a chance here. We need a good versatile replacement for the 1200.

And no, not holding my breath for Technics. Besides, if the components they re-entered the market with are any indication, the price of a NEW Technics turntable (if engineered to the level of the rest of their new line, not just OEM from Hanpin like the Pioneer) would be astronomical. Shame.
Big Companies can no longer afford to be in the Turntable market unless they are pushing Hanpin tables like Pioneer is doing with both of their offerings (PLX-1000 and PL-30K). Panisonic, the size they are and numbers they must meet to stay in business, no longer saw any value in continued production of a 35+ year old turntable that most of the kids working for Panisonic saw as clunky or useless to other iPod generation kids. Sad thing is, all the small companies that make their own tables in the $500 - $1000 price range, well...I've had problems with all of them. None of them came out of the box like a 1200 Mk II, ready to go forever.

The golden age of Fidelity is OVER! There are a group of us that are keeping it alive, but for the most part, Profit is key in big companies (I work for one, I know) and the SL-1200 Mk II, while near and dear to a small number of us, the rule of large numbers in the 21st century said NO!!

DK1

Post by DK1 » 06 May 2015 23:36

macnoob wrote:Letters? You mean physical letters in the mail? Or emails?

I tend to phone when I need quick response contacting any large company.
Yep, physical formal letters in the mail to Pioneer's Warranty Claims Dept. At the top of each letter was my home address and at the foot of each letter I also included my phone number and email address, and no response of any kind! Also included with each letter were copies of previous correspondence and the invoice from my supplier. As a note the supplier could not have been more helpful except they would not accept a return as the turntable was two months old before the faults were noticed or became evident.

Cheers, I'll try a phone call as well; you never know! Something has got to work to get a tt fit for purpose, without rattly bearings and flaking paint on the tonearm.

Just as a note I gave my ProJect Debut Carbon to my sister when I bought the Pioneer. I have had the opportunity to test the gimbal bearings on the ProJect in the same way as the YouTube clip and guess what - zero slack in the tonearm bearings, it was rock-solid... and this was half the price of the PLX1000!
Last edited by DK1 on 06 May 2015 23:47, edited 2 times in total.

macnoob
long player
long player

Post by macnoob » 06 May 2015 23:39

Letters are great at a certain point - like once they are registered letters on a lawyer's letterhead...

markingegno

Post by markingegno » 27 May 2015 06:39

Hi,
I'm Marco from Italy.
I've the PLX1000 and it sounds very very good,"terrific" in a word.
Please read carefully what now I'm writing.I'm a "senior" member of an audio hifi hiend forum and I have a deep expertise in turntable setup and maintenance.
I've had a lot of turntables and I deeply observed the Pioneer PLX alongside the ATLP1240USB.

Read well:

1) PLX 1000 is a Made in China turntable, but designed by Pioneer and with special check and control agreements (I suppose) between factory and Pioneer itself.
So I think that Pioneer requires more attention and control check for its turntables than other smaller brands.

2) All SuperOEM recent turntables (like AT, Reloop, Stanton and so on) have an antiskating knob with dial up to 3g. Pioneer hasn't.Pioneer antiskating dial arrives theoretically to 6 g, the double of other SuperOEM turntable.
I observed that if I set the cartridge tracking force to 2 g, I need to set the antiskating to 4 to perfectly balance the tonearm skating force. But n.4 Pioneer position of antiskating dial is perfectly at the same position of 2g of other chinese turntables antiskating dial. So, I think that there isn't any problem of antiskating on Pioneer but only a poorly clear indication of antiskating force.
I think that the antiskating spring in the base of tonearm of Pioneer is the same of the other chinese super OEM turntables.So what you read 4 in the Pioneer antiskating dial is correctly 2 (the half) in practice.
So if you have set 1,5 g of tracking force, please set 3 on Pioneer antiskating dial. If I'm right you will balance the antiskating and movement of tonearm setting (on Pioneer) the antiskating the double of tracking force.
Please check and let me know if I'm right or not.

2)I read that a lot of Pioneer PLX (if not all of them) have (since new, freshly out of box) a little play in tonearm top bearing included (if I'm not wrong) the sample reviewed by Stereophile or other audio magazine.
I have also an AudioTechnica 1240.
I think that Pioneer have requested to factory more play for all tonearm top bearing.A little play on that special chinese tonearm let the cartridge and the tonearm to follow the grooves better.
In fact the tonearm of my AT1240 with no play sounds worse, more congested, compared with Pioneer that is free in its all kind of movements but with a little play on upper bearing. Then, all Pioneer tonearms have a drop of glue to seal the bearing screws so it is not possible that different technicians in the factory put the glue on all tonearms if there is a bit of play.If there is a bit of play, I think that it is requested by Pioneer to obtain a more free tonearm.
So DON'T TOUCH bearing to reduce play.

I hope I have helped you.
Greetings from Italy and enjoy PLX1000!
Marco