Pioneer PLX-1000

the final frontier
majick47

Re: Pioneer PLX-10000

Post by majick47 » 08 Mar 2015 17:50

Before anyone on VE purchases a PLX-1000 wait another day for Audio Karma to come back on line after a redo of the site and read AK member Waynes evaluation of the PLX-1000. According to Wayne a well respected AK member with no horse in the race the PLX-1000 got a thumbs down and he returned it for a refund of his $700 from Amazon. Wayne even disregarded the PLX-1000 w&f and rumble specs that were far from note worthy, the anti skate is unreliable and setting up overhang and alignment of a cartridge is questionable at best, throw in recent reports of loose tonearm bearings makes the chances of getting any decent sound quality an uphill battle. IMO if you are a weekend function hall/house party DJ the performance level of the PLX-1000 might not phase you but on the other hand if your goal is decent sound quality in a home audio installation the PLX-1000 will be a big disappointment and a waste of your hard earned money.

Lymbo90

Post by Lymbo90 » 08 Mar 2015 18:01

majick47 wrote:Before anyone on VE purchases a PLX-1000 wait another day for Audio Karma to come back on line after a redo of the site and read AK member Waynes evaluation of the PLX-1000. According to Wayne a well respected AK member with no horse in the race the PLX-1000 got a thumbs down and he returned it for a refund of his $700 from Amazon. Wayne even disregarded the PLX-1000 w&f and rumble specs that were far from note worthy, the anti skate is unreliable and setting up overhang and alignment of a cartridge is questionable at best, throw in recent reports of loose tonearm bearings makes the chances of getting any decent sound quality an uphill battle. IMO if you are a weekend function hall/house party DJ the performance level of the PLX-1000 might not phase you but on the other hand if your goal is decent sound quality in a home audio installation the PLX-1000 will be a big disappointment and a waste of your hard earned money.
I love mine. It's been a great investment. The sound is damn good. And I've owned a number of turntables for 30+years. There have been far more positive reviews and some from respected authorities, not posters on forums.

I'm sure there are many out there making money off of Technics 1200's upgrades that have a plethora of people out there trying to destroy the credibility of the PLX-1000.

"Wayne" or Stereophile? "Wayne" or Steve Guttenberg? "Wayne" or my own personl experience? Sorry Wayne, but I really don't give a crap what you have to say.

majick47

Post by majick47 » 08 Mar 2015 19:01

Lymbo looking at all your listed audio equipment the Pioneer PLX-1000 looks seriously out of place. I'v also been interested in audio/turntables for 50 years and so far my hearing hasn't failed much, I think I could hear the difference between a VPI Scout and a PLX-1000. I don't put much credibility in audio publication reviews these days when someone says the PLX-1000 is the equal of any $2,000 turntable. The reviewer and the gullible consumers have gone off the deep end. As for the Technics upgrades notably KAB all the upgrades are value and performance based which is a lot more than can be said of another not so cheap knockoff from the Hanpin Turntable Factory.

jkasch

Post by jkasch » 08 Mar 2015 19:13

majick47 wrote:Before anyone on VE purchases a PLX-1000 wait another day for Audio Karma to come back on line after a redo of the site and read AK member Waynes evaluation of the PLX-1000. According to Wayne a well respected AK member with no horse in the race the PLX-1000 got a thumbs down and he returned it for a refund of his $700 from Amazon. Wayne even disregarded the PLX-1000 w&f and rumble specs that were far from note worthy, the anti skate is unreliable and setting up overhang and alignment of a cartridge is questionable at best, throw in recent reports of loose tonearm bearings makes the chances of getting any decent sound quality an uphill battle. IMO if you are a weekend function hall/house party DJ the performance level of the PLX-1000 might not phase you but on the other hand if your goal is decent sound quality in a home audio installation the PLX-1000 will be a big disappointment and a waste of your hard earned money.
In the meantime, check out the hissy-fit Wayner's review is generating on Audio Circle. Ridiculous.

Lymbo90

Post by Lymbo90 » 08 Mar 2015 19:17

majick47 wrote:Lymbo looking at all your listed audio equipment the Pioneer PLX-1000 looks seriously out of place. I'v also been interested in audio/turntables for 50 years and so far my hearing hasn't failed much, I think I could hear the difference between a VPI Scout and a PLX-1000. I don't put much credibility in audio publication reviews these days when someone says the PLX-1000 is the equal of any $2,000 turntable. The reviewer and the gullible consumers have gone off the deep end. As for the Technics upgrades notably KAB all the upgrades are value and performance based which is a lot more than can be said of another not so cheap knockoff from the Hanpin Turntable Factory.

Sounds as if you have an agenda. BTW, the turntable is not out of place. Keep trashing it to go along with your agenda. I OWN a PLX and it's a damn fine turntable. Those over on Steve Hoffman that own it are having excellent experiences as well. So no disrespect intended, but I've had it installed and playing quite a bit for the past several weeks. Easy cartridge alignment, no loose tonearm bearings and excellent sound.

It seems odd that you appear frustrated that someone who owns the TT has an entirely different opinion than the "Wayne."

Another thing. Why are you so determined to make people not want to buy this turntable without any personal experiences. Seems rather fishy. And calling it Hanpin junk and other names seems to validate an agenda of some sort. But keep on trolling! :roll:

Lymbo90

Post by Lymbo90 » 08 Mar 2015 19:38

Read "the Wayne's" posts on Audio Circle. He seems like a nut job. Yeh, take his word and try to spread it like gospel...troll. Wayne seems like a real audio guru... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess you'll just have to be frustrated that I'm having such an enjoyable time with my "cheap Hanpin knockoff." And yes it sounds even better than the VPI Scout 1.1 I had. And nothing has gone wrong with the PLX unlike the Scout 1.1 whose motor went out in 3 weeks from purchase. :lol:

Lymbo90

Post by Lymbo90 » 08 Mar 2015 19:57

And I'm done defending my ears, and purchase. I think anyone who is considering buying the PLX will be smart enough to see through certain posts and opinions. Heck most retailers selling it allow refunds if you're not satisfied with it. I know the Guitar Center where I purchased mine did.

What better way than hooking it up to your own system and drawing your own conclusions? I bet most would rather do that than put all their trust in the Wayne. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jkasch

Post by jkasch » 08 Mar 2015 21:18

What better way than hooking it up to your own system and drawing your own conclusions?
Amen!

majick47

Post by majick47 » 08 Mar 2015 22:19

I forgot to mention the PLX-1000 much vaunted high torque was another didn't pan out, well below the Technics SL-1200Mk2 according to Wayne. I'v owned and listened to enough turntables to know that the Hanpin made PLX-1000 is not worthy of my time and effort to listen to it, just another Hanpin Super OEM with a Pioneer name badge on it catering to rap and hip hop DJs, the Technics SL-1200Mk2 heritage was a broadcast turntable, the Technics SP-25.

Lymbo90

Post by Lymbo90 » 08 Mar 2015 22:37

majick47 wrote:I forgot to mention the PLX-1000 much vaunted high torque was another didn't pan out, well below the Technics SL-1200Mk2 according to Wayne. I'v owned and listened to enough turntables to know that the Hanpin made PLX-1000 is not worthy of my time and effort to listen to it, just another Hanpin Super OEM with a Pioneer name badge on it catering to rap and hip hop DJs, the Technics SL-1200Mk2 heritage was a broadcast turntable, the Technics SP-25.
Then why bother trolling? If someone is interested in auditioning it for their own don't you think that makes more sense than what you, the Wayne or I have to say about it? Who really cares what you or I think when they can find out for themselves?

Again, your posts scream AGENDA.

We get it. You don't like it....even though you've never heard one on your own system because you don't find it worth your time. So I ask, who gives a crap what you think? People can make their own decisions. You're nothing but a troll.

irons1965

Post by irons1965 » 08 Mar 2015 23:30

Sorry Majick but that is some of the most unbelievable elitist nonsense I have ever read.

To win the lottery you have to buy a ticket....At least do the honourable thing and listen to the turntable first before making an opinion please.

Lymbo90

Post by Lymbo90 » 09 Mar 2015 01:20

irons1965 wrote:
Sorry Majick butAt least do the honourable thing and listen to the turntable first before making an opinion please.
He won't. He is just trolling. He obviously has an agenda. That's clear as can be. And I'd put money on who he's in bed with.

woody007

Post by woody007 » 10 Mar 2015 07:09

Some of you may remember my past post and will recognize my post as very SL 1200 Mark 2 friendly. The PXL is a fine turntable, its not perfect nor a 1200 equivalent but its good for what it is.

majick47 stop trying to protect us from you perceived evil.

irons1965

Post by irons1965 » 10 Mar 2015 13:15

Big Thanks Woody...I much prefer balanced opinion rather than pure rhetoric.

Mctwins

Post by Mctwins » 10 Mar 2015 13:16

Hallo!

My first post here. :)

I am interested in the PLX-1000 player and I have only seen it without testing it or tried differen't cartridge or played any records. Anyway, looks fine to me.

Could someone please explain this to me??

In the manual of the PLX-1000 and on page 12, it say that if you have a cartridge height that is from 19 to 25mm and this can be adjusted in "(adjust height) dial scale position" from 0-6mm. How would one adjust it if you have a cartridge height that is 16mm. Or, does this mean you can't use a cartridge with 16mm height. Or, the manual is wrong. The majority of the cartrigdes is around 16-19mm.

About overhang adjustment scale?? on page 7 in the manual

does this mean that you can't use a Ortofon Concorde cartridge that is 52mm?

I haven't seen any mentioned about it, or why Pioneer have these values and not the same as Technics.

Thanks for any replies.