Pioneer PLX-1000

the final frontier
Lafpat

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by Lafpat » 08 May 2017 23:56

Thanks for your very detailed reply. Glad your happy with the Pioneer PLX 1000. Since I got it over a year ago it has given me a lot of pleasure and continues to do so.

bigus3333

Post by bigus3333 » 20 May 2017 02:36

captslow wrote:I had my local Hifi shop set up the turntable. Was nice to have the experts work on it. They kept the extra weight on the rear of the arm along with the front weight. They did a digital measurement of the needle weight, and it was in spec according to them. They did say I could benefit from a better head shell, but that would have put me over my budget at the time.
I was happy they did all the alignment for me as they had the proper gear on hand. Considering they don't sell Pioneer turntables I was happy that they took the time to do this for me after buying the Nagaoka MP 110 off them. Great customer service. I was going to go for Ortofon Red, and they said the Nagaoka would be a better choice for this Turntable. I am very happy with this set up.
big thanks to James at Absolute Audio Calgary AB.
How does it sound?
James and Ross both rock!
Tell them to start stocking the Pioneer.....

I've had my Pioneer now for close to two years.
I don't regret the purchase one bit.

EddyLPMan

Post by EddyLPMan » 21 Jun 2017 19:31

I am finding using my newly purchased Ortofon Cartiridge alignment protrator on my mewly purchased PLX-1000/ Jelco HS-20 Headshell/ AT-OC/9II impossible. I have read & reread these forums and understand that the "perfect set up may require super human contortions of both the installer's body and the cartridge within the headshell, but no matter how I contort no matter the overhang I use (from about 57mm to 52mm) there is absolutely no physically possible way to as the guy from Trurntable & Needles instructed:

"rotate the protractor on the spindle so the diamond touches
the outer crosshairs, when aligned the diamond will be able to
touch the inner cross hairs without rotating the protractor."

Instead when I have the stylus bullseyed with outer crosshairs, my stylus is always off by somewhere between the length or say 100% to 75% of the cartridge body beyond (as in to the left) of the inner crosshairs. This simply does not work for me. So either I am grossly simple and don't accurately understand instructions or something about aligning the protractor with the pivot point of the tone arm is missing here. I used to mount hundreds of cartridges on turntables when I sold HiFi for 30+ years.

I never had problems with the plastic headshell overhang gauges all the turntables came with. I never had problems with MFSL GeoDisc I used way back when. This is all so imprecise, and my "eyeballing" is more age limited than it used to be. But this Ortofon protractor, and the remarkably conspicuous lack of instructions from Ortofon,totally mystifies me. So instead I went back to using the equally imprecise & bogus printed overhang template in the PLX-1000 owner's manual, which recommends 54mm (or as close as our humanly fallible printing and your eyesight allows) overhang. It sounds pretty good but I think the drum cymbals are a bit thin and sometimes massed instruments/voices with much energy lie a bit flat. But that could be because the AT OC/9II only has 8 or 9 hours on it and is still about 40 hours from opening up fully. Or the AT OC/9 is only a $500. cartridge.

I am eager for working advice.

Thank you All.

BTW I love the PLX-1000. BTW AT is still the great company it always was. I got my new OC/9II thru their retipping program. They traded me the new one for my almost 30 year old original OC/9 that I earned selling and installing AT cartridges way back when. A great value IMHO. tracks anything, sounds great (mine only has about 8 hours on it so far and has many to go before it is opened up. Having a blast extrating the human life that has lain dormant on my LPS for years.

EddyLPMan

Post by EddyLPMan » 02 Jul 2017 03:22

Thought I'd update on my misadventures with the 3, count it, 3 Pioneer PLX-1000s I've owned in as many weeks. #1 Loved the sound, the look, got my OC/9 replaced with an OC/9MLII for $282 under the Audio Technica retipping/replace scheme. While it was away I bought a Jelcom HS-20 headshell from turntableandneedles.com. When the with the new OC/9II mounted in the Jello it was too heavy for the arm without the sub weight. The owners manual leads one to believe that it is simple to screw in the subweigth to the back of the tone arm. At best that is the wrong impression at worst the arm had a defect and the threads are inaccessible. Sent PLX #1 back to Musicians Friend who had given me a spanking great deal but couldn't really say if the projected June 28th arrival date was when they had any hope of getting a replacement in. They paid for shipping BTW. There is a Guitar Center 8 miles from us and they said they would match the MF price. In the store the fine sales guy (a DJ & owner of 2 PLX-1000s) finally got the sub weigth screwed in, and I'm off and happy. Home, unbox PLX-1000 #2, attach OC/9II/Jelco balance arm connect the electronics, turn on the on/of switch & light...1/2 second turn on "tthhuume " and a rather egregious hum from the left speaker not so egregious from the right. But want to listen to my Elusive discs. Sounds as great as a brand new cartridge can sound. But I put on LP 2 and switch the PLX on and there's that hum. Go sit 9 feet away in my sweet spot, and there is that hum. This begines the first round of changing new RCA wires (from My ground lifted AQ to the stock Pioneer and another set of non directional RCAs sveral times, securing ground or no ground wire. Plugging the AC directly into the wall then using one of those grey 2 prong ground lifter between. I even had an old/brant new Adcom Cross Coil High Out Put moving coil cartridge mounted int eh Pioneer headshell. Same problem. Funny thin is the hum goes away as soon as I disonnect either headshell from the arm. But No matter what I do... "tthhuume" and hum.

I email and history to PioneerPro support and ask for help. "We are sorry. Your unit has a ground defect. Please see if your dealer will replace it." Bummer, this one was actaully better built than #1.

Called GC, I talked to my original salesman who said said no problem. I got a new on in a box. Went in with both cartridges mounted because I wanted to have PLX #3 hooked up in the store to see if they had the problem in the store. Got an amp but they had no phono pre at all. Didn't hear anything. So I sadi I try it out at home. The same routine turn it on the first time. The same "tthhuume" and hum. Redo everything. Including discussions with Van Alstine, Pioneer Pro, Pioneer DJ forum, Steve Hoffman forum. Replace wires 4 or 5 times to acertain if there was any real dif between Directional or non directional RCAs (perhasp the the sound quality of my Audio Quest directional wires blows away the non directional though the hum is perhaps slightly perceptably less...maybe depending on where I' holding my head) , 3 different AC plugs again, regrounded, much heavier wires, this time adding system pre as well as phono pre. Literally hours upon fruitless hours. Trouble Shooting 101 teaches: simple physics, reverse the leads at the turntable and if the problem changes channels with it the problem is not in the system down the line. It's in the TT/cartridge/headshell. Replacece cartridge/headshell with another cartridge/headshell and still have hum, the problem is in the turntable/tonearm itself.

But this evening after my wiife and I went for a lovely walk around our peaceful lake, and she suggested try hooking the turntable up in a different room different AC socket & line conditioner. So, in one last ditch effort to see if I could eliminate the spike & hum in PLX-1000 #3 , I brought a table, a 10 gauge 12 foot Monster Cable speaker wire, and a pair of quite decent 15 foot non directional RCA cables, and a totally different Monster Cable line conditioner up from my basement.

I set the table up in the hall way on the other side of a wall 9 or 10 feet from my Phono Pre Amp and system Pre Amp and 6 feet away from and on the my left speaker. I then took my PLX-1000 off of the shelf it has been sitting, set it on the table, connected the non directional fully shielded RCAs & the red lead of the 10 gauge speaker wire from the Turntable to my Van Austin Vision Q Phono Pre. I plugged the PLX's AC power cord into the Monster Line Conditioner.

As I stood in the room with the speaker, my wife switched on the the totally isolated PLX-1000 in the hallway... plain as day the turn on tthhuumme and then the hum. We switched places and I turned on the PLX and she heard the hum. Switched again, she turned the PLX on and said from the hallway "I can hear that out here." Par for the course, the hum was louder in the left speaker, until I reversed the RCA's in the back of the PLX then it was again louder in the right. Tone arm wiring problem or a grounding problem that is allowing the buzz & hum from the lights to bleed into the signal.

Mind you this was all with the platter not spinning. When the platter start button was pushed you again heard a turn on thump, or buzz, or what ever the heck you'd call it, and then the hum remained quite musically the same. I'm through. Unless you folks can give me a quick fix. PLX-1000 #3 goes back to Guitar Center. I've gone far beyond the call on this. I don't think I should have to accept a constant hum (whether a recurring manufacturing defect or design compromise) in pursuit of great sound for the buck.

EddyLPMan

Post by EddyLPMan » 02 Jul 2017 03:30

Forgto to add one important piece of data. My shinny new PLX-1000s #1-3 were a replacement for my 1983 AR The Truntable. Shinny is often seductive. It never ever hummed. So last night I brought it up out of the basement and installed my Adcom Crosscoil in the headshell. hooked every thing up this time with my AQ RCAs. Turned the motor on and as the platter began to turn I heard: dead, dark, beautifully refreshing, absolute silence. Tthhuume & hum were voting in absentia.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 26 Aug 2017 22:19

That is bad to hear with hum, but sometimes problem is with matching of different things in the whole chain. Sometimes there really are factory flaws. I own Reloop turntable, which is made by the same OEM manufacturer as PLX. First one was working well, but in a few months, tonearm lifter broke. I sent it on a servis under warranty and it came back in a month with embedded tonearm lever. I sent it back and required a new unit from the seller. This time I installed different cartridge and set it properly, but every time tonearm was skipping at the beginning of the record. I was really mad, but then I changed the cartridge and now it works perfectly. So maybe sometimes hum is consequence of bad match between turntable and amplifier or phono preamp.

EddyLPMan

Post by EddyLPMan » 27 Aug 2017 06:04

Vinylfreak86 wrote:That is bad to hear with hum, but sometimes problem is with matching of different things in the whole chain. Sometimes there really are factory flaws. I own Reloop turntable, which is made by the same OEM manufacturer as PLX. First one was working well, but in a few months, tonearm lifter broke. I sent it on a servis under warranty and it came back in a month with embedded tonearm lever. I sent it back and required a new unit from the seller. This time I installed different cartridge and set it properly, but every time tonearm was skipping at the beginning of the record. I was really mad, but then I changed the cartridge and now it works perfectly. So maybe sometimes hum is consequence of bad match between turntable and amplifier or phono preamp.
True. I now have a Marantz TT15S1 which blows away all of the other tables I tried. No hum, More fun.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 27 Aug 2017 08:32

EddyLPMan wrote: True. I now have a Marantz TT15S1 which blows away all of the other tables I tried. No hum, More fun.
That one is made by Clearaudio in Germany. Very good thing and also not cheap. But I myself prefer sturdy direct-drive design of turntables.

EddyLPMan

Post by EddyLPMan » 27 Aug 2017 20:16

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
EddyLPMan wrote: True. I now have a Marantz TT15S1 which blows away all of the other tables I tried. No hum, More fun.
That one is made by Clearaudio in Germany. Very good thing and also not cheap. But I myself prefer sturdy direct-drive design of turntables.
I would have kept the PLX if it hadn't hummed. But the Clearaudio/Marantz sounds more like living musicians are in my room. It is good to have choices so we can all get what we prefer.

graventein

Post by graventein » 29 Aug 2017 21:14

I bought a Marantz TT15S1 3 years ago. I used it for two months and sold it again. Anti-skating does not work at all. The knob is just a piece of decoration.

graventein

Re: Pioneer PLX-10000

Post by graventein » 29 Aug 2017 21:30

markingegno wrote:Hi,
I'm Marco from Italy.
I've the PLX1000 and it sounds very very good,"terrific" in a word.
Please read carefully what now I'm writing.I'm a "senior" member of an audio hifi hiend forum and I have a deep expertise in turntable setup and maintenance.
I've had a lot of turntables and I deeply observed the Pioneer PLX alongside the ATLP1240USB.

Read well:

1) PLX 1000 is a Made in China turntable, but designed by Pioneer and with special check and control agreements (I suppose) between factory and Pioneer itself.
So I think that Pioneer requires more attention and control check for its turntables than other smaller brands.

2) All SuperOEM recent turntables (like AT, Reloop, Stanton and so on) have an antiskating knob with dial up to 3g. Pioneer hasn't.Pioneer antiskating dial arrives theoretically to 6 g, the double of other SuperOEM turntable.
I observed that if I set the cartridge tracking force to 2 g, I need to set the antiskating to 4 to perfectly balance the tonearm skating force. But n.4 Pioneer position of antiskating dial is perfectly at the same position of 2g of other chinese turntables antiskating dial. So, I think that there isn't any problem of antiskating on Pioneer but only a poorly clear indication of antiskating force.
I think that the antiskating spring in the base of tonearm of Pioneer is the same of the other chinese super OEM turntables.So what you read 4 in the Pioneer antiskating dial is correctly 2 (the half) in practice.
So if you have set 1,5 g of tracking force, please set 3 on Pioneer antiskating dial. If I'm right you will balance the antiskating and movement of tonearm setting (on Pioneer) the antiskating the double of tracking force.
Please check and let me know if I'm right or not.

2)I read that a lot of Pioneer PLX (if not all of them) have (since new, freshly out of box) a little play in tonearm top bearing included (if I'm not wrong) the sample reviewed by Stereophile or other audio magazine.
I have also an AudioTechnica 1240.
I think that Pioneer have requested to factory more play for all tonearm top bearing.A little play on that special chinese tonearm let the cartridge and the tonearm to follow the grooves better.
In fact the tonearm of my AT1240 with no play sounds worse, more congested, compared with Pioneer that is free in its all kind of movements but with a little play on upper bearing. Then, all Pioneer tonearms have a drop of glue to seal the bearing screws so it is not possible that different technicians in the factory put the glue on all tonearms if there is a bit of play.If there is a bit of play, I think that it is requested by Pioneer to obtain a more free tonearm.
So DON'T TOUCH bearing to reduce play.

I hope I have helped you.
Greetings from Italy and enjoy PLX1000!
Marco
Mounted a Shure V15-V on the Pioneer plx 1000. The trackingforce is 1,25 and the antiskating..........the oscilloscope tells me 2,5

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Re: Pioneer PLX-10000

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 02 Sep 2017 10:51

graventein wrote: Mounted a Shure V15-V on the Pioneer plx 1000. The trackingforce is 1,25 and the antiskating..........the oscilloscope tells me 2,5
Antiskating is weak on these turntables, have to be set much more. With Clearaudio turntables it is problem, that they are too much fine designed, with german precision and it sometimes also not the best.

125bpm

Post by 125bpm » 14 Sep 2017 17:16

I just want to give my 2 cents worth to the PLX-1000
I work in a club as a technician repairing things, eg turntables, and I'm also a vinyl only DJ, so i know the 1210's pretty well, and how to set them up.

We were given 2 PLX's to use an alternative to the 1210's, so i was pretty keen to see how they compare.

We have a 15kw sound system, with the bass about 3 meters from the DJ table, so as a precaution, we use half tennis balls under the feet of each player, which i really don't mind.

Being 6 kilo's heavier than the 1210's, this wasn't really necessary with the PLX.
Playing with them, i must say they are better than i expected. They spin very true (but so do new 1210's, and also the 1210's that i've cleaned and calibrated the pitch fader). They feel slightly more responsive, and the +- 16 option is also good.
However, the tonearm...
It looks cheap and it feels cheap. In fact, one of the models we had had massive feedback problem.

I'm not talking in the bass frequency as DJ's know full well. This was at approx 1000hz!!
As i pushed the line fader on the mixer up, the scream would get progressively louder.
Not everytime, but at least 40% of the time, making it almost impossible to play.
The Pioneer rep came in, and we did some tests, which confirmed that the feedback in the bass frequency was gone, but in the middle frequencies, it didnt matter where we placed it on the table, every now and then would come feedback getting louder and louder!
(This was also only using the concord systems. I usually use shure white label sytems, but didnt have them with me at that moment)

She replaced the record player, and since then, no-one has complained about it, but never-the-less, i really dont trust the tonearm on the PLX.

Someone told me that its because pioneer wants to concentrate more on digital possibilities (eg, tractor or serato) at a later date, and those tonarms are more suitable, but im not so much convinced.

I also dont like having the RCA connections on the record player, and really dont like that they are tucked right in underneath. As a rule, the less connections mean the less likelihood of that connection being broken, but i can also understand pioneers thinking when they designed it.

All in all, as a record player designed as an alternative to technics and a contender to take over the ever diminishing market for vinyl playing Dj's, its more than acceptable, and is and should be the leader of this, however, the PLX-1000 just isnt a 1210MK2/3/5 or whichever model you choose, and never will be.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 23 Sep 2017 10:52

125bpm wrote: Being 6 kilo's heavier than the 1210's, this wasn't really necessary with the PLX.
Playing with them, i must say they are better than i expected. They spin very true (but so do new 1210's, and also the 1210's that i've cleaned and calibrated the pitch fader). They feel slightly more responsive, and the +- 16 option is also good.
However, the tonearm...
It looks cheap and it feels cheap. In fact, one of the models we had had massive feedback problem.
Problem with these modern DD turntables "Made in China" is that a lot of things are just copies of original models from the past. They look the same, but real performance is far away. I can also say for my Reloop. My previous turntable was Sony entry level DD from 1983. The tonearm on it looked worse than on Reloop, but quality of design was better. On Reloop it feels too much plasticky. Otherwise the sound is great.

125bpm wrote: Someone told me that its because pioneer wants to concentrate more on digital possibilities (eg, tractor or serato) at a later date, and those tonarms are more suitable, but im not so much convinced.
That is not serious argument. Turntable is electromechanical thing like it is and it cannot be designed for more or less digital or analog use. It plays records, problem is with materials invested and lack of know-how of final manufacturer.

Mark Edson

Post by Mark Edson » 04 Nov 2017 18:16

Hi all I've had my Pioneer PLX-1000 for about 2 years now I was lucky and got one of the first decks made by Pioneer not the Pioneer DJ deck I've had no problems with my deck at all I paid £400 for mine as they thought Pioneer was going to pull the plug instead they sold off the rights to use Pioneer logo I was told they only made 500 TT with the real pioneer logo if you are lucky enough to have one keep hold of the deck as it's worth more than the Pioneer DJ decks