the home of the turntable

Pioneer PLX-1000

the final frontier

Pioneer PLX-1000

Postby Lymbo90 » 01 Feb 2015 19:47

I've had it up and running for the past few days and thought I'd provide some observations. The only other Hanpin I've owned was an AT-LP 1240. So I'll start with a comparison to it.

While the Pioneer is more than likely a Hanpin, it's by far much better than the AT. Why do I think so? First of all the isolation and Tonearm on the Pioneer are noticeably better.

When I had the AT, I remember tapping lightly on the plinth when a record was playing and you could hear it clearly during playback. If I did that with my SL-1600MK2 or SL-1200MK2, you couldn't hear it and the same goes with the Pioneer..very solid plinth.

The Tonearm on the AT seemed kind of flimsy but the sound it produced was pretty decent. The PLX-1000 tonearm seems much, much nicer and produces a cleaner, tighter sound. The vertical tonearm adjustment is just like my Technics. The platter on the pioneer spins dead-on true where the first AT I had wobbled. The replacement didn't.

After playing several albums with different cartridges I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the PLX-1000. I'll post more observations as I get more time with it.

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147/jleaming/image.jpg2.jpg

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147/jleaming/image.jpg1.jpg

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147/jleaming/imagejpg3-2.jpg
Lymbo90

United States of America

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Postby Lymbo90 » 03 Feb 2015 22:45

Folks, Pioneer has a winner here. This is a very nice Turntable. It's a keeper for me without a doubt! By the way, it shipped with a nice thick rubber mat, not just the felt slip mat.

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147/jleaming/image.jpg2_1.jpg

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147/jleaming/image.jpg1_1.jpg
Lymbo90

United States of America

Re: Pioneer PLX-10000

Postby Guest » 04 Feb 2015 22:52

Thanks for that - it looks a very nice turntable. I guess people get the concerned about build quality of these SL-1200 clones, but you seem happy with this one. It's nice to see Pioneer making a good turntable again, or at least putting their name to one. I'm not so sure about the PL-30 that they've just released - it doesn't look so solid in the one and only photo they've released and at £350 it has quite a bit of competition.

Postby Lymbo90 » 04 Feb 2015 23:21

[quote="]Thanks for that - it looks a very nice turntable. I guess people get the concerned about build quality of these SL-1200 clones, but you seem happy with this one. It's nice to see Pioneer making a good turntable again, or at least putting their name to one. I'm not so sure about the PL-30 that they've just released - it doesn't look so solid in the one and only photo they've released and at £350 it has quite a bit of competition.

I was skeptical. Before I bought it from the local Guitar Center, I made sure I could return it if I wasn't satisfied. And I thought there was a pretty decent chance that I'd be returning it. But I'm not. As a matter of fact I'm selling a couple of my old turntables. This very well may be a Hanpin, but I'll say if it is, they've some serious improving. I actually like it better than my SL-1200MK2. Heresy, right? I'm sure I'll get ripped for that.

I'd feel very comfortable recommending this turntable for anyone looking for a nice direct drive turntable. I know it's marketed to DJ's but back in my younger years, the SL-1200 was actually a listener's turntable. I've owned some fairly well regarded belt drives throughout the years but I prefer a direct drive. And this Pioneer will surprise a lot of those that like Technics, Sony, Pioneer, etc...direct drives...in a good way.
Lymbo90

United States of America

Postby romanose » 05 Feb 2015 00:04

I hope it comes with good capacitors. The cheap chinese ones only last a year or two. My brother bought a Numark table about ten years ago. It had a perfectly decent sound with the right cartridge and is fairly isolated. He paid around $600 for it. DJ tables aren't all bad. As far as the motor goes, they are more robust than others. With a good arm and the right cartridge, they can be pretty good.
romanose

Postby Lymbo90 » 10 Feb 2015 01:38

I'm going to walk back my enthusiasm on this table. After ripping a few LP's with it and then ripping the same LP's with my 1600MK2, I definitely hear more rumble and motor noise with the Pioneer. I jumped the gun on my opinions concerning this TT.
Lymbo90

United States of America

Postby Lymbo90 » 10 Feb 2015 19:29

Lymbo90 wrote:I'm going to walk back my enthusiasm on this table. After ripping a few LP's with it and then ripping the same LP's with my 1600MK2, I definitely hear more rumble and motor noise with the Pioneer. I jumped the gun on my opinions concerning this TT.

Man, I'm a screw up and apologize for the confusion. The problem with the Pioneer sound was due to two stupid moves on my behalf. The placement of the turntable and outlet I was using was causing rf noise and the cartridge was aligned in the headshell for the 1600MK2. :oops:

After making the corrections, I have to say I'm still very pleased with this turntable.

Again, sorry for the confusion, I'm just trying to provide some valuable feedback on this new product.
Lymbo90

United States of America

Postby irons1965 » 13 Feb 2015 10:47

Hello Lymbo90

First post here so go easy (!).

I too own a PLX-1000 (Nagaoka MP-110/Rega Fono Mini).
I love the turntable but at the moment I'm looking for a bit more oomph to the bass (to play dance 12" and Kraftwerk etc).

Without wrecking my vinyl (which is by and large in good condition), what's the recommendation cartridge wise to give me the sound I'm looking for (thinking Ortofon Nightclub 2/ Audio-Technica AT440mla??).

The rest of my system is Naim Supernait driving PMC FB1i loudspeakers (Chord Epic Twin) and a Squeezebox Touch connected to a Rega DAC for streaming FLACS/Spotify Premium.

Sorry about the long winded post but I should add interconnects to and from the turntable/phono box/amp are Chord Chrysalis which are renowned for their 'light' balance....Should I take a look at replacing these?

Thanks for listening...

Cheers

Darren
irons1965

United Kingdom

Postby hamish909 » 14 Feb 2015 14:04

Great to hear some real experiences with these decks, rather than just opinions.

My only real problem with the "super OEM" decks I had was the tone-arm, it just didn't come close to the quality (build and sound) of the SL 1200, on both the examples of Super OEM decks, they had a noticeable "rattle" around the mid-range as if you could hear the tonearm just ever so slightly jiggling in the groove. I used them at Christmas to record a radio show, and once the radio station processor (Optimod-like a very sophisticated Auto Gain Control and Compressor/Limiter) had grabbed the audio this rattle became really prevalent.
hamish909

Postby irons1965 » 14 Feb 2015 14:47

I've no complaints in this respect Hamish, I've got quite a resolving system so (luckily) none of the problems you've experienced.
I spent an hour or so this morning tweaking the cartridge and eventually settled on 1.8g (previously 1.75g) with my cartridge.
Much better results for me ('The Nightfly' sounded great), so I will be a bit more patient and allow the Nagaoka to run in.

Cheers

Darren
irons1965

United Kingdom

Postby hamish909 » 14 Feb 2015 15:08

I've not heard the cartridge you've got Darren, but I doubt either of your other options will give you that slightly deeper bass from your old dance 12"s, you would certainly get more bump with a Shure M44 etc, but you're really going to lose the clarity and detail you probably love.

With my SL 1200 I eventually settled on the Stanton 890 FS with the elliptical tip, this was the closest to a hi-fi sound with enough strength for a bit of back cueing. However, I wouldn't touch it if I didn't need that.
hamish909

Postby irons1965 » 14 Feb 2015 15:24

Hamish- The sound is lovely and neutral at the moment, I just crave that little bit of bass energy that Kraftwerk deserve...Heh...

Without coming across as too defensive, I love the Pioneer (I get the feeling that there's a lot more to offer from it to be honest) having previously owned a Michell Orbe (!).
irons1965

United Kingdom

Postby jkasch » 18 Feb 2015 18:57

What does the main bearing look like in the Pioneer?

Also, did you notice any play or looseness in the arm bearings like the reviewer in Stereophile found?

Thanks for the info!
jkasch

Postby irons1965 » 19 Feb 2015 08:25

There is a youtube video comparing the insides of both the Pioneer and Technics 1200/1210....They look to my eyes very similar!

Luckily, there doesn't appear to be any noticeable movement when the arm is jiggled about although (again) I believe a youtube video shows that some people did have samples that were suffering.

I'm intrigued to read the Stereophile review (I've got a copy on order), it seems to be raising quite a few eyebrows!
irons1965

United Kingdom

Postby rewfew » 20 Feb 2015 20:54

Call me a troll. I will submit to this description for sowing these weeds here in a nice garden of content. But the properties given that this machine is in any league other than it's physical presence to the original Technics is missing from all the hoopla following its formal release. It is no where close. The Technics was built to a high standard on a large scale over a long period from the benefit of industrial R&D geared towards quality consumer audio. This machine is following in it's slip stream. That some "regarded" reviewer's have hoisted their thumbs upward as an heir apparent is dubious to the notion that the publications associated to them have an ethical standard about as high as American politicians. Just, "follow the money". There's your allegiance. That is my main gripe. And you don't see much of the skinny on spec's. But wow & flutter of 0.1 is pretty lame if your going to call this the successor to the 1200. With that knowledge it's not a far stretch to figure the tolerances for everything else to be far short to the real deal. This video sums up the (sound) comparison pretty well.

Maybe for a new turntable these day's this is a decent price and improvement to the other clones that have sprouted from the demise of the Technics 1200. But for my money if I was plunking it down for a winner, it would be the real (used) McCoy, (or vintage Pioneer). Than to a new knock off.
rewfew

Next

Return to Pioneer