Pioneer component TT PL-J210 running v. fast

the final frontier
poldav

Pioneer component TT PL-J210 running v. fast

Post by poldav » 25 Apr 2012 17:28

Hi all,
I just inherited a pioneer j-210 system which has a PL-J210 33/45rpm TT powered by 12v DC from the amp (according to the markings on the back of the amp). However the TT runs very fast (probably faster than 78rpm)when powered by the 12v from the amp (or from a variable PSU which I can set at 12v.) If I drop the supply voltage, the speed slows. But the 33/45 switch doesn't make a noticeable difference in speed. The motor is a 4 wire Sankyo SHP2R with the - + connected to the supply and the other two wires connected via 2 pots and a small resistor to -ve.
So, first question - is there an ic inside the motor to control speed or is there a signal on top of the 12v from the amp unit.
Assuming that the circuit is inside the motor, is it possible to dismantle and repair or do I consign it to the bin?
tia Dave

spidergoulash
Russia

Re: Pioneer component TT PL-J210 running v. fast

Post by spidergoulash » 30 Apr 2019 22:42

Hi!
It seems we had the same problem.
My friends connected Pioneer PL-J210 turntable with the wrong polarity and the disc started to revolve in opposite direction (against the clock). After the re-connection it ran clockwise but too fast and with no visible reaction on switcher as in your case. Without metal disc installed the motor worked with the buzz and get hot.

We measured the voltage: on 33 rpm mode it's 0.15 V between "-" and "L" contacts and 3,15 V between "-" and "H" contacts. On 45 rpm: 0,15 V between "-" and "L" and 3.6 V between "-" and "H".

At online markets in my country we only found almost the same motor - Sankyo SHU2R for cassette deck (12 V, clockwise rotation, 2 speed, the same contacts order, and identical size). The only feature I noticed on the picture was extra thin metal ring around the body. We tried to find any info about other differences between these motors but no luck... So we decided to buy it anyway and try to change the motors. After the installation of the new one we noticed: it works almost without noise, the temperature is normal, the speed is much less and the switcher works properly.
After that I just corrected the speed on 33 and 45 modes via adjusting screws.

Now the voltage on 33 rpm is 9.8 V between "-" and "L" and 10.65 V between "-" and "H". On 45 rpm: 9.12 V between "-" and "L" and 10.65 V between "-" and "H".

This suggests that there is a speed controller chip inside the motor, which was damaged because of incorrect connection. We've not tried to fix the broken one so far...

Regards,
Denis