PL-12D Tonearm adjustments and lubrication

the final frontier
spitfiresun

PL-12D Tonearm adjustments and lubrication

Post by spitfiresun » 30 Sep 2011 20:26

Currently doing a re-furb on my PL12D. I just have a few queries regarding the tonearm.

1) What are the 2 screws either side of the collar for?

2) It looks like you can lubricate the bearings just under the collar head, although it appears it can be done at the 'inner' or 'outer' ring...which one should be used?....and what type of oil is fit for the purpose?

3) I need to 're-damp' the arm lift mechanism...is this this done by removing the grub screw at the side and attempting to lubricate via the resultant hole?...if so, what lubricant should I use?. If not, how is it done?

Cheers,
Ian :D

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: PL-12D Tonearm adjustments and lubrication

Post by Alec124c41 » 01 Oct 2011 04:53

The screws on the sides of the collar are your bearings. Don't mess with them.
Tone-arms do not usually need lubrication.
The grub-screw on the side of the lifter allows you to adjust the height of the lifter.
Re-damping the lifter requires a drop of thick silicone oil inside it. If you know someone who is into R/C cars, they might have some differential or shock oil.

Cheers,
Alec

spitfiresun

Post by spitfiresun » 01 Oct 2011 12:28

Alec124c41 wrote:The screws on the sides of the collar are your bearings. Don't mess with them.
Tone-arms do not usually need lubrication.
The grub-screw on the side of the lifter allows you to adjust the height of the lifter.
Re-damping the lifter requires a drop of thick silicone oil inside it. If you know someone who is into R/C cars, they might have some differential or shock oil.

Cheers,
Alec

Thanks Alec,

OK,that's settled! I won't touch anything on the arm!

I will however add the silicon oil to the lifter, assuming I can add it through the grub screw hole. I would also assume it would be better to have the arm in the raised ('ON/UP')position while doing this.

I have also removed the lateral weight and outrigger from the arm. Unfortunately while removing the outrigger (having removed the weight and undone the small collar) it sheared off leaving a small threaded section protruding from the arm collar. This isn't too bad I guess as the general concensus seems to be the deck sounds better without it anyway...it just means it can't be reattached!...Wish I could get rid of that little threaded piece though!

Cheers,
Ian

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 02 Oct 2011 04:59

The grub screw in the side locks the lift mechanism case in place, so there is no hole through to the workings.

Cheers,
Alec

spitfiresun

Re: PL-12D Armlift damping

Post by spitfiresun » 03 Oct 2011 00:37

Alec124c41 wrote:The grub screw in the side locks the lift mechanism case in place, so there is no hole through to the workings.

Cheers,
Alec
Having had a look underneath it appears the larger cylinder coming through the chassis is supported by a spring and lock nut at the bottom, which in turn attaches to the UP/DOWN lever plate. Running inside the larger cylinder appears to be the smaller cylinder which goes from the bottom of the spring up inside the larger cylinder through the 'Anti-skate housing' and up to the arm lift bar.

There is also a cut-out at the base of larger cylinder just above the spring (one edge seen in photo about 10mm high). Could this be the access point for adding the silicon oil when the armlift assembly is raised from above?

(Sorry the photo is a bit fuzzy - focus problems!)

Cheers,
Ian

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 03 Oct 2011 05:51

Okay, different mechanism.
ou want to get a bit of thick silicone oil between the two cylinders, and it does not much matter how. You could put some on the inner one, and slide it into the outer, from top or bottom.
The only cutout I see is the positioning slot, that is only a groove in the outer piece.

Cheers,
Alec

spitfiresun

Re: PL-12D Armlift damping

Post by spitfiresun » 03 Oct 2011 20:00

On closer inspection again, when operating the UP/DOWN (eg to the 'UP' position) the entire inner cylinder (along with lock nut and the bottom of the spring) is pushed up by the lever plate.

I was expecting a kind of piston effect but the whole small cylinder moves inside the larger one (which stops at the top of the spring). The small supporting leg at the top of it moves with it as does the 'secondary' leg behind.

The 'secondary' leg does not go right through 'Anti-skate housing'.
The entire up/down movement is only about 2.5mm. In the 'DOWN' postion the grub screw is still almost fully visble

Can't really see where the oil would sit, as it looks as if it was added at the top it would simply drain out through the slot above the spring! #-o
Maybe the 'secondary' leg provides the damping?...there is a reasonable gap around it for potentially adding oil.

This small part of my PL-12D refurb is proving to be the most time consuming so far!...However I'm quite willing to take the time to get right!

Cheers,
Ian

JamieCarr
Great Britain

Post by JamieCarr » 12 May 2019 18:38

Hi Ian,

I realise this topic is from a long time ago, but I am currently attempting exactly the same operation on a PL-12D, and I'm wondering whether you achieved it, and if so, how?

I am bit of a newbie to fixing TTs, but I've managed to get this one singing nicely, and so this dampening issue is really bugging me.

If you'd be able to give me any advice on how best to get the silicone oil inside the mechanism then I'd be very grateful.

Thanks a lot!

Jamie

Landolaman1
Great Britain

Post by Landolaman1 » 14 May 2019 20:27

JamieCarr wrote:
12 May 2019 18:38
Hi Ian,

I realise this topic is from a long time ago, but I am currently attempting exactly the same operation on a PL-12D, and I'm wondering whether you achieved it, and if so, how?

I am bit of a newbie to fixing TTs, but I've managed to get this one singing nicely, and so this dampening issue is really bugging me.

If you'd be able to give me any advice on how best to get the silicone oil inside the mechanism then I'd be very grateful.

Thanks a lot!

Jamie
Jamie, look up the blog by "jives11" on this site and it will tell you all you need to know about the innards of a PL-12D.
Regards, Neil.