Pl-115D Problems

the final frontier
CaptainGoggles

PL-115D problems

Post by CaptainGoggles » 27 Jun 2010 22:54

I'm trying to set up my dad's PL-115D, which he has not had set up for over 15 years, and I'm having some issues. My dad is not tech savvy and has never encountered the problem I'm facing.

When I get the table turning, I proporly lift the tonearm over and record and drop it as instructed by the manuel. However, the second the music starts the entire thing stops and the receiver turns off. Essentially, it behaves as if the return button has just been pressed. However, I am not pressing it, and it only does this when the music begins. If I don't drop the needle, it will turn forever.

It's all very strange, does anyone know exactly what causes this and how to fix it?

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: PL-115D problems

Post by fscl » 28 Jun 2010 15:02

CaptainGoggles wrote:I'm trying to set up my dad's PL-115D, which he has not had set up for over 15 years, and I'm having some issues. My dad is not tech savvy and has never encountered the problem I'm facing.
Welcome of VE....... :)

You are in luck, the Owners Manual is in the VE library and can be downloaded here:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pio ... 115d.shtml

It appears you already are referring to one, just wanted to make sure.

Your Dad may not have encountered this if the table was regularly used and the grease was nice and pliable. After 15 years, the grease may / most likely has hardened, causing problems.
When I get the table turning, I proporly lift the tonearm over and record and drop it as instructed by the manuel. However, the second the music starts the entire thing stops and the receiver turns off. Essentially, it behaves as if the return button has just been pressed. However, I am not pressing it, and it only does this when the music begins. If I don't drop the needle, it will turn forever.

It's all very strange, does anyone know exactly what causes this and how to fix it?
Although there is no PL-115D Service Manual, this model is similar enough to refer to so download:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pio ... 117d.shtml

The 115D is a semi automatic, and with slight modification can go FULL AUTO and eliminate all threats quickly.....:oops: :oops: WAIT wrong forum, oh yeah, automatically pick up at the end of record (see what happens when you get old..... :) ).

The 117D will show the pickup / auto return mechanism and allow you to troubleshoot the 115D. Sounds to me like a weak spring, keeping the Stop / Return button from engaging and / or some nasty glop of grease not allowing the trip lever / pawl? to return to original position.

Sit the turntable with the bottom particle board cover removed on spacers (ie soup cans of the same height) over a mirror which you can view the return cycle.

Plug the unit in, with the platter removed and the stylus PROTECTED and / or REMOVED, cue the tonearm over an imaginary LP. You won't harm anything, you will see the motor pulley spin and the arm should drop. Since you do not have the platter on, IIANM, the cartridge will not lower onto the well and sit on the needle, however, as mentioned above, remove or protect the stylus.

At this point as it is lowering, watch what happens, does the Stop button drop down? causing the return cycle to start. It will not start, you will hear a "click". You should also look / watch what happens underneath the table with the mirror and flashlight, you can use the mirror to reflect the light from the flashlight on the parts of interest, there is a small trip pawl, (see service manual) that starts the auto return cycle.

Either way, it will sound an audible "click" which will tell you that the return cycle is engaged. You can reset / manually return the tonearm to rest position by turning the center spindle with your fingers. The cycle stops when the arm is on the tonearm rest and the automatic arm gear is at the notch with NO gear teeth. Repeat and continue to watch the mechanism and try and determine what's setting off the auto return.

Good luck.

Fred and currently have my PL-115D stored.... and perhaps gonna break in the box and demount my XLM-Mk 2 and throw it in the cartridge rotation...... :-k

se7en8n9ne

Re: Pl-115D Problems

Post by se7en8n9ne » 20 Jun 2012 21:56

i have a similar problem. did you ever get yours running?

Prana69

Post by Prana69 » 21 Jun 2012 02:47

welcome 789!

Did you follow the advice "fscl" provided to the OP? It was an excellent and very detailed description of how to determine the fault, and will assist you. Try that first, then if it doesn't fix your problem come back and we'll see if we can help you.

I have a PL-117D which is very similar to the 115D, so I might be able to help if "fscl's" advice doesn't solve your problem.

Dave

se7en8n9ne

Post by se7en8n9ne » 05 Jul 2012 04:55

Hi thanks for your response.
so i have been trying to find the auto return adjustment screw which is on plate d at the end of rod a in the 117d service manual. however what i found in the 115d doesn't look like the diagram so im not sure if that's the right screw.
as far as fscl's advice i spun the spindle with my finger until it sits in that spot with no gear teeth but still has the same problem.

se7en8n9ne

Post by se7en8n9ne » 06 Jul 2012 03:39

So i got it working now. thanks a lot y'all. I would just like to do some minor things now to make sure it's all good. So i found the auto return adjustment screw. i tried to follow steps 12.6 in the service manual, but my plate C is already engaged to raised part of gear A before i start moving the tone arm. i don't understand how that part of 12.6 step 4 is suppose to work. where do i position gear A and why would it move to engage plate c? does that make since? thanks for your time, Brian

induce
United States of America

Post by induce » 05 Aug 2019 17:18

i know this is a very old post.......but, i'm having the same problems with a pl-115 restarting return cycle. its apart and on soup cans. can somebody tell me where the trip pawl is located? under the platter, or below?
thx !

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 06 Aug 2019 21:10

induce wrote:
05 Aug 2019 17:18
i know this is a very old post.......but, i'm having the same problems with a pl-115 restarting return cycle. its apart and on soup cans. can somebody tell me where the trip pawl is located? under the platter, or below?
thx !
Have long since let go of my 115D, but will try to help from memory.

There is now a service manual in the VE library which helps immensely, download if you haven't done so.

If you have the tt on cans, you will see the picture in page 6 of 13 in reverse. When you push the reject button it will pull the string @ 8:30 which pulls the spring pulling the lever near the bearing cup. One of these levers releases the pawl that allows the large gear to move a few degrees and engage the drive gear on the turntable spindle shaft.

Concentrate on the sub plate, levers PXT - 052, PXT - 051 page 8 of 13, that's where all the semi auto functions happen.

Is that pawl stuck with old grease not allowing to "c**k" the large tonearm drive gear into it's rest position...... :-k Remove grease and relubricate that pawl with some light sewing machine oil or dry teflon based lube and make sure the pawl catches the tonearm movement gear at the end of cycle (tonearm @ rest position) so that the notch is tangent to the spindle drive gear and does not engage.

Good luck and welcome to VE..... :)

Fred :lol: :lol: ** = "oc"

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 07 Aug 2019 01:02

Hi induce, the trip pawls are located under the main cam gear which is under the platter (red arrow). You will need to remove the three screws that hold the platter spindle in place in order to get the trip pawls out so they can be cleaned. Once cleaned you can either leave them dry or apply a small amount of lubricant to them like fscl suggested. Since you will need to remove the platter spindle you should clean it and lubricate it with new oil. To clean pull it apart and clean the spindle and inside the housing of all old lube and then use sewing machine oil to lubricate it. Be careful when you pull the spindle apart if I remember right there's a small ball bearing in the bottom of the housing. Don't loose it but make sure you clean that to if ones there. Then add three drops of oil inside the housing drop the ball bearing in and smear some oil over the spindle shaft and insert that back inside the housing. Push down gently on the spindle and rotate it until all the air has been been pushed out of the housing. The clip with the screw in it that fits over the white spindle gear holds the spindle into the housing make sure it does not rub on the white spindle gear when you rotate the spindle. If the spindle gear is rubbing on that clip then there's still some air trapped inside the housing. Just keep pushing it down gently and rotate the spindle the air will work itself out. Ignore the green arrow that was for a different post. I hope this helps.
Attachments
Pioneer Pl115d turntable 018 (Copy).JPG
(148.09 KiB) Downloaded 18 times