Pioneer PL71

the final frontier
kenji

speed switch for 33 stopped working (45 still works)

Post by kenji » 17 Feb 2010 03:57

Subject: speed switch for 33 stopped working (45 still works) - PL-71

Never worked on one of these before - what's the best approach to opening and getting access to see what's going on in there? Any quick tips on things to watch out for, hard to put back on, don't want to put too much force on, you know what I mean?

If someone could just let me know the best way to crack it open with the least amount of dismantling, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

K.

speedysteve

Re: speed switch for 33 stopped working (45 still works)

Post by speedysteve » 17 Feb 2010 12:50

kenji wrote:Subject: speed switch for 33 stopped working (45 still works) - PL-71

Never worked on one of these before - what's the best approach to opening and getting access to see what's going on in there? Any quick tips on things to watch out for, hard to put back on, don't want to put too much force on, you know what I mean?

If someone could just let me know the best way to crack it open with the least amount of dismantling, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

K.
Lock the arm down, take the mat/platter off - turn upside down - towel to cushion lid work well.
Remove the many Japaned screws that hold the wood base cover on and then you access to pretty much all. Switches and pots are readily available - Maplin and the like.

kenji

Thanks for the speedy reply

Post by kenji » 17 Feb 2010 15:52

Thanks, I'll open her up this weekend if not earlier. any overall schematics or overall pics of what things are would help if anyone's got time. Thanks for being patient with a newbie.

robersm

pioneer pl71 lateral balance weight

Post by robersm » 17 Sep 2010 05:39

any body know what is the weigth of these piece,lateral balance weight, recently buying these tt, for less of $66.00 usd, but these piece is lost an try to make one, sorry by my bad english

Helge Gundersen

Re: pioneer pl71 lateral balance weight

Post by Helge Gundersen » 23 Sep 2010 20:19

robersm wrote:any body know what is the weigth of these piece,lateral balance weight, recently buying these tt, for less of $66.00 usd, but these piece is lost an try to make one, sorry by my bad english
I put it on the weight and found 19.27 g.

SteveA2

Post by SteveA2 » 26 Sep 2010 07:23

speedysteve wrote:Switches were essential. It was all over the place before changing them.
Pots - well I was in there anyway.
Caps on PSU and caps on motor board were much more subtle but def gave improvement in making the speed as stable as I expect a DD TT to be / comparing with improved PSU on Technics SL-1210.
What were th values of the CAPs on the motor board. My PL-71 service manual doesn't cover this board and I would like to get the caps before I pull it apart if I can.

Thanks

Steve

speedysteve

Post by speedysteve » 30 Sep 2010 14:45

Well I read the values off the caps.
Might have a parts list or order sheet at home - not sure.
Swiss army penknife is your friend for magnifying the text :)

BTW I 'upgraded' Richard D's arm to a 12". Did mine first as proof of concept and then a R200 arm too. Really works well with Spu Royal N or Spu Silver Meister!
Miles better than SME V12 with Royal N.

kfharlock

What Switches, Pots, Caps Are Needed?

Post by kfharlock » 23 Jun 2011 12:06

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so I apologize if reviving an old thread like this is inappropriate. After a couple of years of listening to vinyl on my cheap big-box store turntable, it finally died and I decided to acquire something of better quality, my first "real" turntable. Luckily, last week, I acquired a Pioneer PL-71 (for free!) from a relative, and after reading through this thread and several others online, I've decided I definitely want to refurbish it and get things going properly. The unit seems to be in good shape overall but I have three issues:

- Need new cart/stylus
- Tone arm rest is broken
- Speed wavers a bit and is generally unsteady on the 33 setting (at least according to the strobe)

As for the first issue, I'm about ready to purchase the Shure M97Xe as my first "legitimate" cartridge, and the stuff necessary to calibrate it. I'm fairly confident I can do this correctly, but if anyone has any opinions about the compatibility of the M97Xe with this arm/table, please let me know.

As for the second issue, I can handle that as well.

As for the third... well, it seems I'll have to replace at least the switches and likely the pots and caps. After asking around locally, it also seems like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it myself. I'm fine with this, but as I have little experience, I wanted to ask if anyone would be so kind as to point out for me exactly what kind of switches, pots, and caps I need to purchase? Also, if there is any more detailed information, or helpful posts, about doing this kind of job, I'd love to be linked to that as well.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

SteveA2

Post by SteveA2 » 06 Jul 2011 09:24

Definitely replace the switches. Mine would change speed when I pushed down on the switches even when that speed was already selected. I changed all the caps as well while I was in there but have not changed the speed adjustment pots (although I have them ready if I need to).

Don't know the Shure M97Xe but mine goes well with the Shure V15 MkIII (using original head shell) and also the Denon DL103r and more recently the Dynavector XX-2 Mk2 (both using Sumiko HS-12 head shells which are a bit heavier and more suitable for the lower compliance cartridges).

Very happy with it.

Later this year I intend to try it up against a Well Tempered Amadeus GTA using exactly the same cartridge and phono amp and both connected to the same system. I.e. the PL-71 itself will be the only thing different. Not sure I am looking forward to this as the results could get expensive – but I have to do it, if only to see how good the PL-71 really is.

pacifiz

Re: Pioneer Pl71

Post by pacifiz » 27 Sep 2011 06:12

Hi Steve,
Have you done the shoot out agianst the Well Tempered?
I had tried a pl-71 against a roksan xerxes, same system but pl-71 with benz micro and xerxes with audio technica, I would not say anything about the xerxes as it belongs to a good friend of mine, but surface to say I am very happy with the performance and see no point in upgrading.
My future plan is to build up a Lenco 78 with PTP and keep the best of the two and stop my journey. :-)

cutrag92

Re: Pioneer PL71

Post by cutrag92 » 14 Mar 2012 02:04

I have a Pioneer PL-71 turntable with speed issues. Even with the speed control at the fast end it is still too slow. I had it in to the local Pioneer service center and they said I need a new motor regulator board part # FL-EGP018, that is no longer available. Can the existing board be refurbished or repaired and what other speed control fixes might there be?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 14 Mar 2012 03:57

Dirty switches and regulators, old capacitors.
Clean the switches and adjusting pots, then start replacing things as necessary. This thread has the information.
If you are not confident using a soldering pencil, find a friend who is.

Cheers,
Alec

SteveA2

Re: Pioneer Pl71

Post by SteveA2 » 18 Apr 2012 05:29

pacifiz wrote:Hi Steve,
Have you done the shoot out agianst the Well Tempered?......
Not yet. I got distracted by weather stations and weather station software for a while.
I now plan to do the A/B against the Well Tempered Versalex. I have aranged this with the dealer and they have the Versalex being fitted with an XX2 Mk2 as I write this. Might happen this weekend.

Steve

SteveA2

Post by SteveA2 » 22 Apr 2012 10:41

It happened.
- Wasn't a close contest at all I'm afraid.
- Have ordered the Versalex - I just had to have one.

Steve

jazzzman

Replacement caps

Post by jazzzman » 23 May 2012 16:52

I have been watching this thread with interest, as I am working on a PL-55X which has the same motor, speed switches etc. (as far as I can tell, the difference seems to be the tonearm and the auto-return mechanism on the 55X). I am about to order the caps for the motor board and the psu. Can anyone give me any advice on the types of caps to use? I have heard that the Panasonic FC series are frequently used in recaps. Does anyone know if those would work for this application?
One other question, I see that the caps on the motorboard all have blue colored cans and the caps on the psu have black colored cans. Does the color difference suggest that I need to use different types of caps for the two different applications?
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.