Pioneer PL71

the final frontier
romanose

Re: Pioneer PL71

Post by romanose » 23 May 2012 23:00

Mainly I use two kinds of electrolytics, Nichicon PW which is a low impedance cap. For power supplies and other general duties. Also Nichicon KL series which is a low noise cap for use in the signal path of amps and the like. Most pioneer caps will have a code on them I.E. CE04 or such, these are replaced with PW series. As a general rule of thumb, The small sky blue caps and small orange are low noise, black and medium blue are low impedance. Of course Panasonic are just as good but harder to find. Go to Mouser.com and put in your values and you will usually find a PW or KL in that size. For large capacitors it pays to shop around. I recently did an amplifier and Mouser wanted $200 for one capacitor. Newark got me both caps for the same price. I just had to wait for the pair to come from England.

Regards,

Ron.

jazzzman

Post by jazzzman » 24 May 2012 02:28

Thanks, Rhomanski. :D I believe the blue on the motor board is medium. So I should be able to use PW caps for both. Of course, there is no audio signal going through any of these caps. Do you recall if you used PW caps for both the motor board and psu?
Thanks again.

romanose

Post by romanose » 24 May 2012 08:55

Yes, I would stick with PW. I did a PL-630 last winter and used PW in it. I'll be doing a Sansui SR-717 eventually and I'll be doing it with PW. The others are belt drive and newer, no need to do them yet.

Regards,

Ron.

jazzzman

Post by jazzzman » 24 May 2012 16:44

Thanks again, I will take your suggestion. I also have a PL-610 that I plan to work on next, but that might not be for a while.

Bob in STL

Post by Bob in STL » 30 May 2012 15:31

Does anyone know, if the PL 71 an upgrade over the PL 41?

How do the tone arms and the overall sound compare?

thanks, Bob

jazzzman

Post by jazzzman » 01 Jun 2012 02:23

The PL-71 is DD, The PL-41 is belt driven. The PL-71 has a better tonearm that has adjustable VTA.

MyCuff

Post by MyCuff » 26 Aug 2019 00:46

Hello all. My PL-71 still has major pitch fluctuations and I have sprayed a bunch of D5 into the two pitch adjuster pots without any apparent benefit. It would seem to work for a while and then the platter would either slow down or speed up fairly dramatically. Seems to stabilize somewhat over time but is still very annoying. From reading the posts above, should I be more focused on the switches, the speed adjustment pots, or the capacitors on the small psu board? I know what the pots look like. Can someone post pics of the switches and caps in question? Also if I wanted to replace all of them, in the USA, what are the part numbers?

MyCuff

Post by MyCuff » 26 Aug 2019 12:12

I figured out the switches referred to are just the two buttons for 33 and 45 rpm selection. The pots are 1k ohm and seem to be a couple bucks each. Still not sure if I need to get something specific to this turntable. If they look the same will they be the same?

MyCuff

Post by MyCuff » 18 Sep 2019 00:11

I have taught myself to solder and plan on replacing the caps on the PSU board, and the 1k ohm speed adjustment pots as well. Is there any reason not to use "audio grade" Capacitors? I ask because the Nichicon UFW Audio Grade Electrolytic Capacitors seem to be easier to find the their PW caps in the same size. Maybe I'm not shopping in the right place. Any recommendations on where to buy caps and pots?